The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I watched basically the first half of Bumblebee but had to turn it off because it got too dumb.

The stuff on Cybertron was INCREDIBLE.

Hayley Steinfeld seemed likeable enough until she started interacting with her family. Why was she such a huge ***** to them? Did I miss some scene where they treated her like ****?

I turned it off when the mom "borrowed" Bumblebee to get groceries or whatever.

I could tell this was written by a billionaire heir because nobody in it behaved like a normal human being.

A little late replying to this but you definitely should finish it. Travis Knight totally got both the humans and robots right. Just the ending scene alone will hit you in the feels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Punisher

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I buy them, then I can't bring myself to take them out of the box.
20191023_190226.jpg

Reactions: les Habs

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I buy them, then I can't bring myself to take them out of the box.View attachment 268215

I can't wait to get my stuff out of the box when I buy it. I don't see the point of having it if I can't put it on my shelf. :laugh:

In other news, I learned today that in an early version of the Bumblebee script, the scene with Soundwave ejecting Ravage was supposed be longer and more of a callback to g1. It was supposed to be "Ravage, eject. Operation: Annihilation."

Man, I would've killed for the whole line.

Also I discovered that Soundwave wasn't voiced by Frank Welker. He was done by Jon Bailey, aka the Epic Voice Guy who does Honest Trailers (And on occasion does work as Optimus because he can do a pretty passable Peter Cullen impression)

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I can't wait to get my stuff out of the box when I buy it. I don't see the point of having it if I can't put it on my shelf. :laugh:

In other news, I learned today that in an early version of the Bumblebee script, the scene with Soundwave ejecting Ravage was supposed be longer and more of a callback to g1. It was supposed to be "Ravage, eject. Operation: Annihilation."

Also I discovered that Soundwave wasn't voiced by Frank Welker. He was done by Jon Bailey, aka the Epic Voice Guy who does Honest Trailers (And on occasion does work as Optimus because he can do a pretty passable Peter Cullen impression)
I can do a passable Petter Cullen too.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

That would've been awesome.

I've always liked G1 Soundwave.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Toys R Us in Canada (or at least in BC) has a sale on Transformers for the next few weeks. Specifically in-store the Rainmakers 3 pack (the candy colored Seekers set I posted about above) and the special Refraktor camera 3-pack (3 Siege Refraktor/Reflector figures but with special extra gizmos on them so they look more like a camera when combined and look slightly different from each other as robots) are $20 off, so they're $79.99 instead of $99.99.

the TRU catalogue I was handed on the way out also seems to indicate that Deluxe class figures are on sale for around 20% off (so they're $24 instead of $30) and Leader class figures are similarly discounted ($56 instead of $70)

Most stores' deluxe stock right now is usually a mixture of Chromia, Ironhide, Hound, Brunt, Red Alert, Refraktor, and the new wave of Mirage, Impactor, and Barricade.
Leader class figures are Ultra Magnus, Shockwave, and Galaxy Upgrade Optimus Prime (a retooled Ultra Magnus style figure that turns into a super-mode optimus from one of the 2000s anime series with wings and giant cannons)

Now I'm kinda pissed I hadn't already bought the rainmakers before this sale happened. But at the time I got one they were hard to find anywhere and there was paranoia that what made it to Canada would be limited stock.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I picked up one of those Reflector camera sets from Toys R Us today (it was my reward for doing some christmas shopping before December :laugh:)

It's awesome. And the camera mode is built super sturdy. Like you could probably clock someone over the head with it.

Plus it comes with a tiny Kremzeek figure from that G1 episode. You know. The one called "Kremzeek!" about the little energy goblin thing?

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I picked up one of those Reflector camera sets from Toys R Us today (it was my reward for doing some christmas shopping before December :laugh:)

It's awesome. And the camera mode is built super sturdy. Like you could probably clock someone over the head with it.

Plus it comes with a tiny Kremzeek figure from that G1 episode. You know. The one called "Kremzeek!" about the little energy goblin thing?

I re-watched the series with my son when he was 6-7 years old, and Kremzeek! was his favorite character, haha. We watched that episode over and over...

I missed the Soundwave Geeky Jersey when it came out. That really stings.
Geeky Jerseys | Only Available for a Limted Time! Soundwave

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Picked up my order from the online retailer TFSource. Got WFC Siege Jetfire (which is awesome. And huge. I don't love the very clicky joints, but that seems to always be a price paid for larger figures that don't have friction joints) and Generations Selects Lancer (the last of the fembots based on the crew from The Search for Alpha Trion in the G1 cartroon).

Lancer is gloriously 80s with her purple/orange/turquoise paint scheme. She also is the last of the Power of the Primes mold of fembots with combiner parts. So that means I was finally able to complete Elita-Infinite / Orthia (depending on which name you use)

I'll have some pics later, but the general reaction is "disappointing." Elita-1's janky body proportions make for a wide, gangly combiner torso and cause the whole thing to look far too squat and oversized, kind of like a cross between an orangutan and Bayverse movie Starscream. Also she's so goddamn top-heavy that she doesn't stand up straight. I have to lean the whole thing back against a box or something or tilt it back at the waist otherwise the ankles twist and the hips buckle and she just wants to aggressively topple forward. This seems to be a common design flaw in the PotP combiners where the Voyager-sized torso bots are just too heavy for the smaller limbs to support.

But hey, Jetfire comes with pieces that assemble onto his robot mode so you can go from cartoon accurate to G1 toy accurate (which, by extension is also Macross VF-1 Valkyire accurate.) So that's really cool. Also has his chest insignia on a swivel so you can swap between Autobot and Decepticon like his debut cartoon episode.

Also finally managed to track down Siege Ravage/Laserbeak so my Soundwave is now appropriately sporting minions. Just gotta keep my eyes out for the newly released wave 4 Micromaster set of Ratbat and Rumble/Frenzy (they went by toy naming, so it sports the name Rumble, but is colored black/red like Frenzy was in the cartoon)

Reactions: Guardian17
Sep 19, 2008
Looks like there will be a sequel!
I was initially wary of what Michael Bay had done to the franchise but I never bothered seeing the Megan fox movies. After seeing reviews bumblebee looked good and I really enjoyed it although I thought it was a bit short

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That's why you buy two!

Tempted by the Earthrise because I feel it'll be G1 from the cartoons, but not sure. Might at least get the G1 Soundwave and cassettes.

Granted I don't know what it's like in the US, but I haven't seen a G1 reissue Soundwave on shelves here for months. Lately the only G1 reissue I've seen (if I see any, they seem to be criminally understocked) is Astrotrain.

If you wanted a modern Soundwave there was the one from WFC Siege. The alt mode is decidedly not G1 (it's a somewhat iffy looking spaceship of some form. Let's be realistic though, there's no way in 2020 they're releasing a wholly G1-compliant Soundwave with a microcassette recorder alt-mode outside of a collector's figure like those G1 reissues) but the robot mode is an excellent take on classic Soundwave. The cassettes you can get for him are a mixed bag (Laserbeak is great, Ravage sucks, and from what I've seen Rumble and Ratbat are both pretty good) but the cassettes are absolute hell to find.

So far the War For Cybertron series has been very nice in terms of being highly G1-compliant. I get that some of Siege's Cybertronian alt-modes are going to put people off (I love, love, love the pilot-episode-inspired 'tetra-jet' mode that Starscream and his seekers have, but I get that it's not for everyone.) but the robot modes for the most part look great.

Earthrise looks promising so far, but I do and don't like that there are so many Siege repeats. On the one hand it's gonna save me money not buying another Megatron or Starscream (the F-16 jet is tempting, but I hate the proportions on the robot mode) or Smokscreenor Astrotrain. But on the other hand I wish they had saved those slots for worthy other characters that could use the spotlight.

And they can have all my money for that Scorponok by year's end. Then I can finally have a display set up of Fortress Maximus vs Scorponok (fittingly as I am just finishing watching The Headmasters anime tonight)

I'm not sure if you've collected any Siege stuff, but I wholeheartedly recommend the Refrakor (Reflector. Thanks trademark issues!) Reconnaissance 3-Pack. The cartoon purist will probably scoff at the fact tha the 3 Reflector bots contained therein aren't all identically colored like the cartoon (rather they are accurate to the original toy with two in slightly different purples and one red one) but they come with all sorts of extra doodads to make the bots individually unique and make for a really sweet looking combined camera mode. You could also track down 3x basic refaktors but they're a bit hard to find and their camera mode is a little bland (and honestly nobody is using their silly spaceship/weapons platform singular alt modes)

I know this wasn't asked for but all this talk has made me think about Siege and having seen the entirety of the line, I would rank my top 5 releases from it as:

5) Ultra Magnus (the price point is is a little steep, but it's true to the G1 figure in that it's an armored up white Optimus Prime with a cartoon-accurate look once you have all the external pieces on. And it makes him look like a tough as hell warrior type that dwarfs a lot of other bots)
4) Soundwave (the alt mode sucks and there are some fiddly bits in his transformation, mostly the engine nacelles along his robot back and the one fiddly shoulder joint, but he looks perfectly Soundwave-ish in robot mode and comes with a working spring-loaded cassette door that can fit a pair of the Siege cassettes inside. There's also notches for Laserbeak to perch on his forearm, but that seems like it almost never works because of manufacturing tolerences on the laserbeak figures)
3) Omega Supreme (ungodly expensive and kind of basic for how much he costs, but it's a perfect robot, a very good base mode, and it's hard to argue with the scope and scale standing over most other bots.)
2) Springer (apparently hell to find and has some issues with fiddly transformations and an excess of hinged joints and segments to accommodate both alt modes, but all the modes work well and as a robot he's a near perfect G1 representation, plus he gets a pair of guns and a pair of badass swords.
1) Jetfire (You want a cartoon-accurate Skyfire? He does that. Right down to the rotating faction symbol on his chest based on his debut episode. You want a G1 toy accurate I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-A-Macross-Valkyrie bot? Stick the armor pieces on and you've got that too. The transformation isn' perfect and though I understand the necessity I never like having so many ratcheting joints, but it's hard to argue with the results and the versatility.

I'd be hard pressed to find something in Siege that I absolutely hated. Even one of the bad ones, Apeface has a really great looking robot and retains his Headmaster gimmick past the line that featured them to mildly offset he fact that he's a mess of hollows and hinges with a terrible jet mode.

That and goddamn Red Wing being a Target membership card exclusive, which means I can't bloody get one because I can't apply for a damn Red Card without a US mailing address and/or bank account. That's softened by the fact that I don't really need another Seeker, but it just looked so sexy in black/red/white

Reactions: Guardian17

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

On the one hand, I think seeing the beginning of the Great War could be interesting and engaging. And the fact that it's set on Cybertron millions of years ago means that there's no messy human crap for writers to get wrapped up in out of a mistaken belief that people want that instead of interesting robot characters.

On the other hand it could also go terribly, terribly wrong.

Reactions: Supermassive

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Legendary Transformers Comic Book Writer Denny O'Neil Passes Away At Age 81.

Denny O’Neil wrote the original treatment of the Transformers mythos for Marvel Comics, helping Marvel and Hasbro develop the concept and the characters.

His lasting legacy for the Transformers franchise can never be understated.

He is the man who named Optimus Prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->