The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
rfpqqbqlacnn5pacmg9k.jpg

The Transformers: War For Cybertron Unicron figure is equally gigantic, detailed, and impressive, standing a little over 27 inches tall in robot mode, and over 30 inches wide in planet mode. Yes, it fully transforms, thanks to more than 50 points of articulation making the figure endlessly posable as well. But at over 19 pounds in weight the figure requires a custom (and, thankfully, included) stand to support it while it’s in planet mode and you’re not playing with it.

im1hjqj6cjxesad52tt8.jpg

Devoted Transformers collectors are not only going to have to shell out $575 for this one, they’re also going to have to do everything they can to convince their friends and fellow fans to back this campaign as well. Hasbro’s targeted a minimum goal of 8,000 backers before Unicron will officially go into production, with a deadline of August 31, 2019 for the required number of supporters to get on board. If it does succeed, backers are still going to have to be patient for a little longer, as Hasbro estimates the collectible won’t ship until 2021 at the earliest. But if you’ve waited 33 years for the ultimate Unicron Transformer to add to your collection, what’s a year and a half longer?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
rfpqqbqlacnn5pacmg9k.jpg

The Transformers: War For Cybertron Unicron figure is equally gigantic, detailed, and impressive, standing a little over 27 inches tall in robot mode, and over 30 inches wide in planet mode. Yes, it fully transforms, thanks to more than 50 points of articulation making the figure endlessly posable as well. But at over 19 pounds in weight the figure requires a custom (and, thankfully, included) stand to support it while it’s in planet mode and you’re not playing with it.

im1hjqj6cjxesad52tt8.jpg

Devoted Transformers collectors are not only going to have to shell out $575 for this one, they’re also going to have to do everything they can to convince their friends and fellow fans to back this campaign as well. Hasbro’s targeted a minimum goal of 8,000 backers before Unicron will officially go into production, with a deadline of August 31, 2019 for the required number of supporters to get on board. If it does succeed, backers are still going to have to be patient for a little longer, as Hasbro estimates the collectible won’t ship until 2021 at the earliest. But if you’ve waited 33 years for the ultimate Unicron Transformer to add to your collection, what’s a year and a half longer?

I saw that pop up on a thread on TFW2005, and I'll say here what I said there:

My god it's gorgeous, but $650 Cdn is a hell of a price tag even given its scale and scope. I don't even think my entire collection is worth that.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I am really enjoying that they're going full bore with this Seeker mold. Across Siege you can basically collect 7 different variations so far. And I love that you can get a trio of one-off background appearance characters from G1 in all their candy-colored glory. Now we just wait for the "Welcoming Committee" seekers from the pilot episode (the ones that fire on Wheeljack and Bumblebee at the start. They later were given the names Sunstorm, Bitstream, and... I can't remember the 3rd one)

Also word since the release yesterday has been that the street date on that Rainmaker pack was supposed to be the 28th or 29th and the Target employees just borked up and didn't double check that there was a hold order on putting those out on shelves. So that means there's still a couple weeks before proper wide release and some time to figure out how they're releasing the figures internationally (I might guess EB Games in Canada. They seem to be the ones who get US-only-department-store exclusives in the past.)

Still also waiting on release info for:

-Red Wing (the 7th seeker mentioned above. Was also a Target exclusive with the same premature release ****-up. Is apparently set to really go live at the start of August.

-Lancer (the fembot recolor. Is supposed to be exclusive to multiple online retailers)

-Decepticon Phantomstrike Squad pack (Skywarp and a pair of recolored Targetmaster bots. Briefly appearing info seemed to indicate this would be an Amazon exclusive, but wasn't the Prime Day one since that was Greenlight)

-Autobot ... something Squad pack (G2-inspired recolor Sideswipe and a pair of targetmasters. No clue what's going on there)

There was also apparently a huge wave of info and reveals at ComicCon including a completed Omega Supreme and future figures of Rumble (toy-accurate colors, so he's red like cartoon Frenzy) and Ratbat, along with later releases like a special Refraktor 3-pack that better sets them up to be a camera bot like their G1 inspiration instead of just buying 3 identical figures.

Also if you're into G1 reissues, releasing right around now is a classic Soundwave with Buzzsaw figure at Walmart in Canada and the US. It's a little on the pricey side, but I can attest that G1 Soundwave holds up quite well compared to some original Transformers. I got a Toys R Us reissue a few years ago (it came with Laserbeak and Ravage instead and a modified chest to hold 2 cassettebots at once) and it's solid. Supposedly coming some time after Soundwave gets wide release is a cassetticon 2 pack (though no indication of who will be in it, I suspect it'll be Ravage and Rumble/Frenzy)

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
So anyone else notice the Transformers based timeline inconsistency in Stranger Things 3? In the first episode Eleven is making all the toys in Dustin's room walk by themselves to prank him, and among them is an Ultra Magnus. Problem is, the season takes place in 1985, two years before Magnus was released. In '85 you'd have seen the first generation line still. Guess they were all too hard to find in good enough condition for the show :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
rfpqqbqlacnn5pacmg9k.jpg

im1hjqj6cjxesad52tt8.jpg

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Apparently the Siege Rainmakers 3-pack is supposed to hit Canada at some point via Toys R Us, who are also picking up a Target exclusive Micromasters repaint pack as well. The only unfortunate thing so far is that there is zero word if Red Wing is ever going to make it north from its Target Exclusive deal because it's also tied to Target's loyalty credit/debit card program (which those of us in Canada can't sign up for without a US address or US bank account). So without a Red Card I'm borked in terms of getting one unless I want to pay like $60 on ebay.

The Autobot Alphastrike pack has also appeared on Amazon.ca with a September 1st release listing after already releasing in the US a couple of days ago. But there's no sign of its counterpart Decepticon Phantomstrike pack (well, there was for about a day, then it vanished off Amazon.ca without warning, as if the listing never existed at all). Which is a shame because I don't want the former (which comes with a G2-inspired black Sideswipe redeco and the Siege Wave 1 duocon repainted to represent a crazy G1 figure that was a combo duocon and formed out of a pair of obscure cassette-bots for Blaster) but I do want the latter (which comes with Skywarp and a trio of redecoed Targetmasters, including a pair meant to go with another larger Siege figure later in the line)

Worth noting that this trend of all the seeker re-colors means you can actually get 7 different characters in the Siege Seeker mold (which turns into a Cybertronian tetra-jet, based on the mode we see them have during the scenes on Cybertron from the G1 pilot episode):

Starscream (mass release wave 2 figure)
Thundercracker (mass release wave 4 figure)
Skywarp (Phantomstrike pack exclusive)
Red Wing (Target Red Card exclusive)
Acid Storm
Nova Storm
Ion Storm (all 3 Target/Toys R Us 3-pack exclusive)

All they really need now is the "welcoming committee", a quartet of generic seekers that appeared in the pilot and who have gone on to get fan-made sorta-canon names (Sunstorm, Hotlink, Bitstream, and Nacelle) and they'll have covered basically every seeker variant that G1 has to offer from prior to the "coneheads" (Dirge, Ramjet, and Thrust)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Saw an interesting article, maybe someone posted in the past, about an Optimus Prime that transforms himself with no assistance.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I saw that and thought it was awesome. Then I saw that the Mint wants you to spend $30 for a quarter. I wish they had distributed the quarter in circulating currency like they did with that Stanley Cup quarter.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Meanwhile, I'm finding that this War for Cybertron imprint of figures is eternally frustrating with how many collector-marketed exclusives they're putting out that are impossible to find. I discovered the other day that they've retooled Chromia into a Nightbird figure based on that one G1 episode, but already EB shows on their website that they're no longer taking pre-orders.

There was also apparently a Prowl retool to make Bluestreak that was supposed to be exclusive to Wal-Mart, but it never showed up in Canada and now it's out of stock.

And that's not even getting into the stupid Target shenanigans. I want Red Wing, but you have to be a member of the Target Red Card program and I can't join as a Canadian, even if I was willing to head 2.5 hours across the border to the nearest Target in Washington.

I liked collecting the Power of the Primes stuff because it was easy. There was the retail figures, a pair of Amazon exclusives (Nemesis Prime and Punch/Counterpunch) and one EB exclusive (Wreck-Gar). This series alone there's like 10 exclusives to 4+ different retailers. It's a good thing I don't want all of them.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I watched basically the first half of Bumblebee but had to turn it off because it got too dumb.

The stuff on Cybertron was INCREDIBLE.

Hayley Steinfeld seemed likeable enough until she started interacting with her family. Why was she such a huge bitch to them? Did I miss some scene where they treated her like shit?

I turned it off when the mom "borrowed" Bumblebee to get groceries or whatever.

I could tell this was written by a billionaire heir because nobody in it behaved like a normal human being.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I watched basically the first half of Bumblebee but had to turn it off because it got too dumb.

The stuff on Cybertron was INCREDIBLE.

Hayley Steinfeld seemed likeable enough until she started interacting with her family. Why was she such a huge ***** to them? Did I miss some scene where they treated her like ****?

I turned it off when the mom "borrowed" Bumblebee to get groceries or whatever.

I could tell this was written by a billionaire heir because nobody in it behaved like a normal human being.

I agree, that was the Transformers done properly!

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
About 14 hours left in the Humble IDW Bundle for a whole whack of TF comics for less than $20.
I'm pretty late to this thread but I finished reading all those books, IDK, a month or so ago. Phenomenal work. The characterization of Megatron as an Autobot is easily the most compelling character work I've ever seen done in Transformers fiction, in any setting, ever. Even though I felt his actual turn to an Autobot was rushed / forced.

Here's your "Oh slag!" moment of the day: when you let your 4-yo son play with your 20th anniversary Optimus Prime figure (because to a 4-yo he's mostly a cool looking truck), and in the process of trying to transform him (despite being told to ask for Daddy's help if he wants him transformed), he breaks one of his parts :( (one of the headlights). Ah well.

Reactions: Guardian17

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Rainmakers 3-pack is in stock on toysrus.ca and is rolling out in stores across canada (I've seen sightings listed in Ontario for a week or so now, in Saskatchewan/Manitoba as of a couple of days ago, and starting to appear in BC today)

Buy Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Voyager Class Seekers 3-Pack for CAD 99.99 | Toys R Us Canada

AFADFCFC_2.jpg

It's pricy on the surface ($100 for the pack) but that's 3 $40 Cdn figures, so you're basically getting them at almost 20% off.

It's a super fun mold. They look great in robot mode and the Cybertronian jet mode is super cool. I'm hopefully getting my Thundercracker on Friday.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The next step in the War For Cybertron line in the franchise has been announced.

War For Cybertron Earthrise will be next year's imprint, and will focus on moving the story to Earth, with the characters taking on earth-style alt modes. So far the toyline is going to feature more Micromasters and Battlemasters along with fresh figures for the likes of Grapple, Hoist, Wheeljack, and Cliffjumper, along with earth-mode updates for Optimus Prime (now with trailer) and Starscream.

The additional characters are fun, and I kinda get that Yearly Optimus is basically a thing, but another Starscream already is a bit redundant. And as much as I like the render of the jet mode, I don't like the proportions of the robot mode. The Siege one might be a shellformer, but it still looks damn impressive. I will be more receptive if this becomes a precursor to the coneheads.

Speaking of, I got my Thundercracker and managed to swap his smirking head onto Starscream. So the G1 seeker trio is complete.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Got my hands on the Walmart G1 reissue Soundwave. I had been checking a 3rd party inventory website every few days and finally one of the nearby stores was supposed to have a couple in stock. Haven't seen the separate pack for the cassettes though. Looks like there's a limited supply available on their online site: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Transfor...ave-and-Buzzsaw-Collectible-Figures/453478696

I wish the cassette packs weren't sorted the way they are. One has Ravage. One has Laserbeak. Those are the two I don't need becuase my Toys R Us reissue Soundwave from 7-8 years ago came with them. so I'd be paying full price for half a pack.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Apparently now appearing at Target stores:

The "Rainmakers" 3-pack

8eiAzAX.jpg

Rainmakers.jpg

No word on if/when/where they'll show up in Canada.
I saw that the other day at the Target by me. I am annoyed that I paid $35 for Thunder Cracker on Amazon when I could have bought this 3 pack for $5 more.

They also had a Springer that I have been thinking of buying for a while.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I saw that the other day at the Target by me. I am annoyed that I paid $35 for Thunder Cracker on Amazon when I could have bought this 3 pack for $5 more.

They also had a Springer that I have been thinking of buying for a while.

Springer is a solid figure. The transformation is finicky, but nicely detailed.

It is also can be hard to find. I've seen a lot of people having difficulty tracking one down.

My biggest want right now is the Target exclusive Red Wing, but you have to be a loyalty card member to get one and I can't get one of those on account of being Canadian and all. Apparently it's supposed to make it here through EB Games or Toys R Us, but nothing so far.

Also can't find the Laserbeak/Ravage pack to go with Siege Soundwave, but that's not an exclusivity issue, just a distribution one.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not related to the above, but with Ironhide and Megatron figures in Siege, I was able to recreate a classic bit of Transformers The Movie

iOvH1q.jpg

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Springer is a solid figure. The transformation is finicky, but nicely detailed.

It is also can be hard to find. I've seen a lot of people having difficulty tracking one down.

My biggest want right now is the Target exclusive Red Wing, but you have to be a loyalty card member to get one and I can't get one of those on account of being Canadian and all. Apparently it's supposed to make it here through EB Games or Toys R Us, but nothing so far.

Also can't find the Laserbeak/Ravage pack to go with Siege Soundwave, but that's not an exclusivity issue, just a distribution one.
Yea...I think I'm going to go back and pick it up. My SOL works at Target and gets the 20% discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad