The Trade With The Biggest Domino Effect of All Time?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Bruins have Colin Miller, Jacob Zboril and Trent Frederic from the Lucic trade that's linked to the Neely trade in 1986

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think a poster on here once posted the chain reaction of trades that occurred resulting from the pieces from that deal.

Yeah. Not that long ago. Should be around here somewhere. Absolutely insane.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think people are missing the mark on what the OP is asking. I'm pretty sure they meant a trade that set off an arms race where division rivals saw the move and made a deal to beef up their roster in response. I'm guessing trade deadline days would be a good place to start, but I'm not sure of a specific one right now.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I think people are missing the mark on what the OP is asking. I'm pretty sure they meant a trade that set off an arms race where division rivals saw the move and made a deal to beef up their roster in response. I'm guessing trade deadline days would be a good place to start, but I'm not sure of a specific one right now.
Yeah that's what I had in mind when creating the thread, thanks for elaborating my idea.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Yeah that's what I had in mind when creating the thread, thanks for elaborating my idea.

Just randomly picked a deadline out of boredom/curiosity, 2002 deadline day might fit the bill -

New Jersey acquires Nieuwendyk (though it was more of a hockey trade, sending Arnott the other way).

New York Rangers acquire Pavel Bure (for a future heavy package).

Philadelphia acquires Adam Oates (for a future heavy package).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Not exactly what OP meant, but the farthest back trade that I have been able to find that is still causing dominoes to fall is over 36 years old!
(I'm sure there's probably a farther reaching back one, but I have been unable to find it.)

On March 10, 1981 the Buffalo Sabres traded Rick Martin to the Los Angeles Kings.
Today they have Ryan O'Reilly, Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Jason Kasdorf, Rasmus Asplund, and U.P. Luukkonen that can be traced directly back to that trade.

hDVXpmS.png

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Not exactly what OP meant, but the farthest back trade that I have been able to find that is still causing dominoes to fall is over 36 years old!
(I'm sure there's probably a farther reaching back one, but I have been unable to find it.)

On March 10, 1981 the Buffalo Sabres traded Rick Martin to the Los Angeles Kings.
Today they have Ryan O'Reilly, Evander Kane, Zach Bogosian, Jason Kasdorf, Rasmus Asplund, and U.P. Luukkonen that can be traced directly back to that trade.

HfKE1dz.png

Wow :handclap:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You wouldn't have half the Pacific without Wayne Gretzky, no? That trade caused new teams to be formed, which definitely increased the number of trades!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad