GDT: The Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Do you feel comfortable giving Nash/Grabner 4 year deals? That is what it is going to take in all likelihood. Maybe 3 years if we're lucky on Nash.

Where do Chytil/Howden slot in year 2 of those deals if they impress?

I think the Rangers acquired Spooner/Namestnikov to add some veteran scoring until the young guys are ready to take over. They are younger, more cost controlled, and can be traded for assets when the time is right.
Well as of right now Howden/Chytil/Andersson are all Centers. So Nash/Kovalchuk wouldnt be the issue in year 2. It would Zibanejad/Hayes

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I'd be fine with Kovy on a short term deal just for the whole Russian connection and to have a true goal scorer on the team. But outside of that I expect us to be pretty quiet and to spend the season seeing what we've got. Maybe another veteran presence for the bottom 6.

Think we spend one more year struggling, allthough a less lifeless version than this year I hope, get that one more higher pick and then look to compete again.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
He did not imply that at all...like at all.

He said he respects him. He didnt commit to anything. He wouldnt commit to anything. In fact he sounded like someone who says all the right things about someone they are going to let go. He said they would sit down and re-evaluate the state of the team and staff after the season

Yeah I agree actually. He did say that 'he has not thought about it' and that 'it did not cross his mind' - which is a fair statement to say because why would Gorton be openly admitting that he has been thinking of a new coach with 20 games to go in this shit show.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
If they ditch AV I could easily see this team bouncing back and competing depending on what FAs they sign with the cap space.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah, I've always been a fan of stocking up on centers and sorting them out into wingers once they're at this level. They tend to be more responsible players by habit of playing C for years and then if you go down a C you have someone with some familiarity to step in.

Yeah, if we got Foote instead of Hajek I'd feel a lot better about it. I now Hajek had a good WJC, but that's a small sample.

I also just don't like that we didn't need to move our guy in that he wasn't a pending UFA, TB really needed to make a splash, and somehow we let them set the terms with no Serg, no Foote, etc. It really makes me wonder what happened with McD. I think there was some falling out outside of normal professional trade stuff that actually put them in a position where they did need to move him now.[/QUOTE]
Could it simply be that JG and the FO really felt that he was a "liability". You know, a broken hand now, concussion(s) in the past, aging, wear and tear, big contract coming. This org. has been burnt so very badly in the past, simply cannot allow it to happen again........even for McD, and he deserves better. Sending him to TB was actually a really Noble thing to do.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I hate soap operas and such but even with Kovalchuk's history, I would totally sign him to a 1-2 year deal if it doesn't break the bank at all. If not, save that cash and look in 2019 UFAs like Seguin, Panarin, or a Doughty, depending on the team's need at the time and of course if they aren't already extended.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We better ****ing ace the draft. I'm really pissed, Miller is much better than Namestnikov.
But he was playing like a spoiled little brat, and that scares me to death that JG felt trading him was better than getting rid of the other problem which was AV. One of them had to go.
No offense intended here, but I hate that we are becoming less and less American here. Needs to be a nice blend.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
AV isn't the problem. the inconsistent players who might have potential but never pan out are the problem. when will people realize this.

I'm convinced being young and rich in New York City is a massive issue for player development.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
AV isn't the problem. the inconsistent players who might have potential but never pan out are the problem. when will people realize this.

AV is a huge part of the problem right now. You’re gonna trade all of this potential that “never panned out” and keep the worst HC in the NHL around for how much longer and keep blaming the players?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Any suggestions for replacement candidates for AV? Need someone who is good with young players but can demand a lot. Someone very much like Cooper in TB. I saw someone suggest a staff of Granato and Chelios last night and I have to say I dont hate it. Who else is out there? Keefe?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So a recap of the 2018 Firesale:

OUT

McDonagh
Nash (50% ret)
Miller
Grabner
Holden

IN

2018 1st (BOS)
2018 1st (TB)
2018 2nd (NJD)
2018 3rd (BOS)
2019 7th
Conditional 2nd (TB) (1st if TB wins cup next 2 seasons)
Namestnikov
Spooner
Belesky (50% ret)
Howden
Lindgren
Rykov
Hajek

13 players for 5. Am I missing anything?
This, soooo this......is what absolutely had to have happened! Great job JG (and cohorts)!

Now, part deux.........pick the right guys, move up if need be but please, please draft "high end talent" the rest can be taught.
I am beyond excited, and looking forward to the rest of this season (even though many will be losses, but I guess that's for the betterment)

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think they should keep Spooner, Nam, and Zucc at least until next year’s deadline. I think they have added a lot of quality depth. They have loaded up on enough draft picks and assets that they dont have strip this organization down to the bones and not compete at all. Here is what I would like to see next year:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Kovalchuk-Hayes-Nash
Spooner-Nam-Zucc
Vesey-Andersson-Fast
Nieves

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-ADA
Smith-Pionk

Henrik
Georgiev

Yes I want Smith on this team. He needs to rebound. That team under a new coach and scheme can compete. No reason they shouldn’t.

Then beyond that over the course of the year and into next they have:

Howden, Chytil, Ronning, Hajek, Rykov, Day, Virta, Barron, Shesty, etc., PLUS whomever they draft which still remains to be seen. I think they are in a lot better shape. They are stockpiling bodies who have some talent.
Nash era over. Smith era never happened

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Do you feel comfortable giving Nash/Grabner 4 year deals? That is what it is going to take in all likelihood. Maybe 3 years if we're lucky on Nash.

Where do Chytil/Howden slot in year 2 of those deals if they impress?

I think the Rangers acquired Spooner/Namestnikov to add some veteran scoring until the young guys are ready to take over. They are younger, more cost controlled, and can be traded for assets when the time is right.
Hey Matt, you know......you're right and I knew that it's just that unfortunately I grow attached to certain players (like we all do) and if we have any intention on "growing" and "teaching" our kids how to be consummate "pro's" wouldn't you agree that Nasher and Grabs would be great mentors? Suffice to say that JG and Dolan are going to want to make the PO's next year, so dishing out a little salary for quality players is what it will take for everything to come to fruition just a little quicker. Even for 4 year contracts, you don't think they will be more than just serviceable? I do.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
As a coach "it's YOUR job" to motivate them into consistency. Torts was much better at that, with AV not seeing it as much (very bad starts) etc. AV lost this team, and now with many gone, we will see what pans out. Eval time for JG.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
As a coach "it's YOUR job" to motivate them into consistency. Torts was much better at that, with AV not seeing it as much (very bad starts) etc. AV lost this team, and now with many gone, we will see what pans out. Eval time for JG.

Every player is different though. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do believe the coach has more responsibility on in-game changes, zone starts, line combinations, etc., and not so much on being more motivational than the player themselves. As a professional athlete, they need to motivate themselves. And when we bring in these new assets, including an eventual UFA to help promote our identity, that is when the player can motivate themselves even further.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
From the moves that Gorton has done this rebuild looks a lot like what the Bruins did a decade ago.

The thorton trade (agm at the time) i equate to the mcd trade as a change in leadership in the room. Also while agm was part of drafting bergeron, kreji, lucic and marchand.
He then became interim gm where he signed chara, and savard. Traded raycraft fosavers.

I see him trying to replicate a combo of what the Bruins did in 05-06 and in 15.

If that's the case I see them backing up the truck for doughty ala the chara deal. To speed up the rebuild. If we get the a top 3 pick and sign doughty this team will contend for the playofs in 2-3 years and a cup in 3-4

kramer987

Mar 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
hfboards.com
I'm convinced being young and rich in New York City is a massive issue for player development.

i second this. new york is a unique market to play in. the players here get spoiled and lose sight of work ethic. some of them have the ability to retain their raw talent and tread water, but many just fail to amount to anything more than professional role players. the only sport in this city that doesn't suffer from this problem is baseball because fans are so loyal and the sport is so beloved. in hockey, one poor period and the fans begin to boo. it is rather ridiculous and it leads to players that have no spirit to play. they still get paid though, so why wouldn't they just tread water and collect their income? i would. least effort principle. it reveals that they don't love the game, but have the skill to excel at it. this is akin to someone who doesn't like their investment banking job, but grinds away because it pays well. get it out of your system while young, retire early, and move on. further to the point, as someone here said earlier regarding gorts, this is about CHARACTER. without CHARACTER, the skill is useless. Nash is a player who had character and skill. he may not have scored a ton of goals as is expected of him, but he had the moral and ethical character and drive to continue playing his game at a high level. the same cannot be said of the likes of Hayes, Miller, etc.

i'll get chewed out over this stream of consciousnesses post. oh well.

Reactions: Crease

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
From the moves that Gorton has done this rebuild looks a lot like what the Bruins did a decade ago.

The thorton trade (agm at the time) i equate to the mcd trade as a change in leadership in the room. Also while agm was part of drafting bergeron, kreji, lucic and marchand.
He then became interim gm where he signed chara, and savard. Traded raycraft fosavers.

I see him trying to replicate a combo of what the Bruins did in 05-06 and in 15.

If that's the case I see them backing up the truck for doughty ala the chara deal. To speed up the rebuild. If we get the a top 3 pick and sign doughty this team will contend for the playofs in 2-3 years and a cup in 3-4

Well he's going to have to wait a year to sign Doughty, assuming he even makes it to free agency.

I think people need to be prepared for a light summer as far as immediate additions go. This team is not likely to compete for anything other than Jack Hughes next year and thats fine.

2019-20 we may see a pretty big turnaround with this team headed towards contender status by 20-21 if they do this right.

Reactions: Off Sides and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad