Proposal: The "Trade _______ Right ******* NOW" Thread

Aug 6, 2012
I know we need defense but I think Weiss is the perfect fit for Detroit. Having the center depth of Datsyuk- Zetterberg- Weiss- Helm would be amazing. What do you think the cost would be? I'm not too keen on his value.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Remember, teams can now retain a portion of a traded player's salary...

they start eating part of the cap, they're going to want more in return. I don't think his cap hit is that bad if he's in the spot he's in now, though. 25+ mins a night, all situations, puts up points...those guys don't come cheap. It was a horrible deal in Chicago because they had Keith, Seabrooke, and Hjalmarsson in front of him.

I'm not sure what Florida would want in return, though. They move Campbell, and they're looking at Kuba or Kulikov taking even bigger roles. Could be a lot to ask of the Kulikov.

I think they run into a similar problem dealing Weiss. He isn't producing a ton yet, but he's still their number one center/forward and helps shelter Huberdeau a bit. After doing well last season, I don't think they will want to make trades that will look like they're throwing the towel in on this season. :dunno:

I know we need defense but I think Weiss is the perfect fit for Detroit. Having the center depth of Datsyuk- Zetterberg- Weiss- Helm would be amazing. What do you think the cost would be? I'm not too keen on his value.

I think he'd be a good fit, too. Maybe a bit of an overkill for a third line center, but we'd be able to run three scoring lines out there pretty consistently at that point. I think it would help take some of the load off our blueline, too. If we can get our bottom6 fixed so that they start spending more time in the other team's zone, our guys won't be running around in ours.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think he'd be a good fit, too. Maybe a bit of an overkill for a third line center, but we'd be able to run three scoring lines out there pretty consistently at that point. I think it would help take some of the load off our blueline, too. If we can get our bottom6 fixed so that they start spending more time in the other team's zone, our guys won't be running around in ours.

Rolling three scoring lines would be good. It would allow us to bump Helm down and use our fourth line, with Tootoo and Abdelkader on the wings, as a true energy line that can wreak havoc with other teams. Weiss would also give us fantastic NHL center depth.

I'm more than happy with Z, Datsyuk, Weiss and Helm as our four centers.

Last edited:

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.750m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Robyn Regehr ($4.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Kent Huskins ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.039% of upper limit)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.025m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,756,212; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,863,788
------
CALCULATOR LOG
* Mikael Samuelsson bought out.
* Kyle Quincey bought out.
* Traded Carlo Colaiacovo and retained 1.000% of cap hit.
* Petr Mrazek demoted.
* Jakub Kindl signed as free agent for $1,050,000.
* Gustav Nyquist signed as free agent for $1,000,000.
* Brendan Smith signed as free agent for $1,500,000.
* Kent Huskins signed as free agent for $800,000.
* Jimmy Howard signed as free agent for $4,000,000.
* Damien Brunner signed as free agent for $2,750,000.
* Ian White signed as free agent for $2,875,000.
* Calle Jarnkrok recalled.
* Robyn Regehr signed as free agent for $4,500,000.
* Marian Gaborik created and signed for $7,000,000.

I would be greatly satisfied if this was the outcome of this offseason. In fact, I think Coach Babcock would love this team as well, with all the depth it offers.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.750m)
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Robyn Regehr ($4.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.050m) / Ian White ($2.875m)
Kent Huskins ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.000m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Kyle Quincey ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.039% of upper limit)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.025m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,756,212; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,863,788
------
CALCULATOR LOG
* Mikael Samuelsson bought out.
* Kyle Quincey bought out.
* Traded Carlo Colaiacovo and retained 1.000% of cap hit.
* Petr Mrazek demoted.
* Jakub Kindl signed as free agent for $1,050,000.
* Gustav Nyquist signed as free agent for $1,000,000.
* Brendan Smith signed as free agent for $1,500,000.
* Kent Huskins signed as free agent for $800,000.
* Jimmy Howard signed as free agent for $4,000,000.
* Damien Brunner signed as free agent for $2,750,000.
* Ian White signed as free agent for $2,875,000.
* Calle Jarnkrok recalled.
* Robyn Regehr signed as free agent for $4,500,000.
* Marian Gaborik created and signed for $7,000,000.

I would be greatly satisfied if this was the outcome of this offseason. In fact, I think Coach Babcock would love this team as well, with all the depth it offers.

Are we trading for Gaborik with NYR retaining 500k? Or do you think he is bought out?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hmm, only trade idea right now that comes to my mind could be somthing like:

Dan Cleary, 6'0, 34-year-old, left-handed, 1 remaining contract year, 2.8 caphit
<>
Henrik Tallinder, 6'4, 34-year-old, left-handed, 2 remaining contract years, 3.375 caphit

Tallinder has been healthy scratch for the Devils in the last two games. He has two years left on his 3.375 million contract.

Devils have depth at defence but are lacking wingers.

So both teams have own "3million problem", and swapping these guys could ease both teams a bit. I think Devils would be interested loading one +3 million guy out, if they extend Zidlicky. Othervise they have five guys with TOP4 salary in the team.

We need a penalty kill defenceman, Tallinder is exactly that. Another Swede to join the community.

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
If Tallinder cant make NJ's corps, he won't do much for us either then as their unit won't blow you away either. I'd rather not and just let Cleary walk after next year and free up some money. His best years, both of them actually, are behind them.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Are we trading for Gaborik with NYR retaining 500k? Or do you think he is bought out?

With McDonagh and Stepan commanding raises and guys like Horton and Ryder on the FA block, it's likely buying out Gaborik will be a course of action the Rangers will take so as to keep their defense corps intact.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If Tallinder cant make NJ's corps, he won't do much for us either then as their unit won't blow you away either. I'd rather not and just let Cleary walk after next year and free up some money. His best years, both of them actually, are behind them.

I think they are rotating guys to keep them fresh.. Larsson was scratched the first few games.. And that ofc created thread on main forum whether he's overrated/bust/drafted too high lol.

But Tallinder hasn't been too solid, form what I've read.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
With McDonagh and Stepan commanding raises and guys like Horton and Ryder on the FA block, it's likely buying out Gaborik will be a course of action the Rangers will take so as to keep their defense corps intact.

i think the Rags would trade Gabby if they were in fact going to buy him out

buyouts are pretty much solely for bums, has-beens and nobody-wants, type of players

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Franzen (3.95M until 2020) + Tatar (0.845M) for Kessel (5.4M until 2015).

The Leafs save some money in the short run and could sign other FA. They also get a big-bodied presence and a promising FW prospect, which I don't think they have a lot of.

Detroit gets a potent sniper who actually can skate / gives a 100%. Kessel is also a right-handed shot.

Why I think it could work : Nonis is trying to put his predecessor's mistakes behind him and Kessel isn't scoring right now, which could be the buy-low price the Wings need. The Wings also could be looking to shake things up by sending Franzen to the East and giving Tatar some ice-time. As far as I know, there is no bad blood between Holland and Nonis and they could get the ball rolling.

Why I think it might not work : Franzen is signed realy-long term and could turn off some teams. Kessel is only in a slump right now, but he could pot 3 next game and all is forgotten. Really, I'm only trying to do a trade that could help the Wings, but Kessel might not be the man to target, as could Franzen not be a valuable trading asset.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Problem with Kessel is that he's rumored to be looking for up to $8m in his next deal. Fairly expensive.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
"buyouts are pretty much solely for bums, has-beens and nobody-wants, type of players"

Definition of Dan Cleary

Aug 6, 2012
Franzen (3.95M until 2020) + Tatar (0.845M) for Kessel (5.4M until 2015).

The Leafs save some money in the short run and could sign other FA. They also get a big-bodied presence and a promising FW prospect, which I don't think they have a lot of.

Detroit gets a potent sniper who actually can skate / gives a 100%. Kessel is also a right-handed shot.

Why I think it could work : Nonis is trying to put his predecessor's mistakes behind him and Kessel isn't scoring right now, which could be the buy-low price the Wings need. The Wings also could be looking to shake things up by sending Franzen to the East and giving Tatar some ice-time. As far as I know, there is no bad blood between Holland and Nonis and they could get the ball rolling.

Why I think it might not work : Franzen is signed realy-long term and could turn off some teams. Kessel is only in a slump right now, but he could pot 3 next game and all is forgotten. Really, I'm only trying to do a trade that could help the Wings, but Kessel might not be the man to target, as could Franzen not be a valuable trading asset.

No way Leafs do this. If we're going to trade for Kessel I think they'd want a ton of futures and Filppula.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
No way Leafs do this. If we're going to trade for Kessel I think they'd want a ton of futures and Filppula.

Just like everyone (including me) wanted to trade a 2nd for Loktionov and he ended up going for a 5th rounder. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could. Filppula and Tatar could be more attractive, that I know.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
kessel is an upgrade, but I have a hard time seeing why we should deal one goal scoring winger for another, while leaving ourselves with the same lack of depth, and getting rid of a decent prospect. If it's some sort of sign&trade with Flip, knowing he doesn't want to extend here but is willing to go to Toronto, I can get it - it'd be an asset we're losing anyway.

I think Franzen's contract gets blown out of proportion at times, too. We might not like the length, but his cap hit is insanely manageable, and even if he retires with a couple of years left on his deal, the cap penalty is negligible (~$2m per season, iirc).

If we're trading for an NHLer, I think we're seeing futures go the other way. We should probably expect to lose Oullet, Sproul, Nyquist, etc. in a significant deal, unless there is some sort of outside circumstance pushing the deal.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Would make zero sense for the leafs to make that trade. They would want youth. Not an expensive again replica.

Wouldn't make sense for us either. Why move one legit top sizer fot another. Now of we traded a couple prospect rd for him then hell yeah.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Just like everyone (including me) wanted to trade a 2nd for Loktionov and he ended up going for a 5th rounder. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could. Filppula and Tatar could be more attractive, that I know.

Loktionov requested a trade and the Kings didn't have much choice or leverage.

Kessel is an offensive superstar who has struggled in a small sample size. Nonis isn't forced to move him, it would still take an attractive offer to pry him away. A rental in Filp or an old slug on a bad contract (Franzen) wouldn't be the piece to make Toronto give him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->