The top picks for 06...

• Thread starter James Ownz Harper*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Ownz Harper*

Can I get a list of the top 5 players? and what pos they are? All I really know are Kessel ( and he wont be on the levels of Ovechkin and Crosby it seems.) and Johnson.

Also what are my chances of my Blackhawks getting a Kessel with the 2nd or 3rd pick it seems.

James Ownz Harper*

Whoa, Kessel falling off bad.

Hmmm the Hawks don't need anymore high D-men we need scoring.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Kessel is only falling off to some people. I still think he will go number one. He has too much ability. And everyone that has him falling is basing solely on the WJC. Which he did not play bad, but was very mis-used as was the whole team USA it seemed. His WCHA numbers are almost the same as Heatley's. And i bet he will make up the difference by seasons end.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
kessel fell off due to a weak tournament

sure, he got 11pts....but 5 of those were assists he got in the blowout against norway. take that easy game away and he doesnt look so great on paper.

players have bad tournaments/games/stretches though, and to evaluate him as a whole on that one is dumb. i think he'll still be great and that top 4 (him, toews, johnson, backstrom) is a toss up

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
People seem to forget he had a hand in both points vs the Czechs. 1g 1a in a 2-1 game in the quarters. And through out Kessel's assists and it was a 6-2 game vs norway. And to the best of my knowledge others teams played Norway. Yet no one else "padded there stats" like Kessel did.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
still, when assessing statistics, its safer to eliminate stats like that to get a better reading on his average

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Kessel is exactly the type of prospect you don't look at the numbers when judging. Assess each and every area of his game.

Skating: He's just a pure speed demon. He's very smooth bringing the puck up the ice and his agility is superb. He can go in any direction. Skating is one of his biggest assets. It leads to his offensive scoring chances, and helps his playmaking game. One area it needs to have a bigger effect on is his defensive game. I'd like to see him use that speed for both sides of the ice rather than just offensive.

Passing: We saw in the WJC he is equally as good passing as he is scoring. His shiftiness on his skates makes him be able to swing any body position and still set a teammate up beautifully. A negative is he is labeled selfish with the puck, which would mask any playmaking ability.

Shooting: I'd say he's a scorer. His wrister is very good, one of his sweetest options. It seems as though he has that innate ability to just get the puck in the net.

Strength: He's light and frail. That hasn't stopped some other players, but I don't think he has the mental makeup to compensate for his weak stature. Someone like a Prucha will battle to the death, but I don't see that pitbull in Kessel. He can be easily contained.

In all, Kessel is a one dimensional, however sensational offensive talent. All of the descriptions of him that I wrote describe a first overall selection. However, something just gives me a terrible feeling about him. The opposition's ability in the WJC to expose his one on one move gives me the heebie jeebies. Could it be a suspect work ethic and lack of desire? Immaturity?

He could either blow up into a star or fizzle and get shut out by NHL defenders. IMO I look at Backstrom over Kessel.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
I wouldn't pass up on Erik Johnson right now if i had the first pick. His potential is just ridiculous, and to me, his skating ability and puck control just screams franchise defenseman.

James Ownz Harper*

So....we shouldn't expect AO or SC numbers his rookie season? Hmmm okay but the Hawks don't need anymore D-men.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
After hearing the comments made that Jordon Staal could be the best of the 3 brothers, and what Eric and Marc have done so far, I have to take a hard look at him if I'm building a team for offense.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Balej's Dance said:
Kessel is exactly the type of prospect you don't look at the numbers when judging. Assess each and every area of his game.

Skating: He's just a pure speed demon. He's very smooth bringing the puck up the ice and his agility is superb. He can go in any direction. Skating is one of his biggest assets. It leads to his offensive scoring chances, and helps his playmaking game. One area it needs to have a bigger effect on is his defensive game. I'd like to see him use that speed for both sides of the ice rather than just offensive.

Passing: We saw in the WJC he is equally as good passing as he is scoring. His shiftiness on his skates makes him be able to swing any body position and still set a teammate up beautifully. A negative is he is labeled selfish with the puck, which would mask any playmaking ability.

Shooting: I'd say he's a scorer. His wrister is very good, one of his sweetest options. It seems as though he has that innate ability to just get the puck in the net.

Strength: He's light and frail. That hasn't stopped some other players, but I don't think he has the mental makeup to compensate for his weak stature. Someone like a Prucha will battle to the death, but I don't see that pitbull in Kessel. He can be easily contained.

In all, Kessel is a one dimensional, however sensational offensive talent. All of the descriptions of him that I wrote describe a first overall selection. However, something just gives me a terrible feeling about him. The opposition's ability in the WJC to expose his one on one move gives me the heebie jeebies. Could it be a suspect work ethic and lack of desire? Immaturity?

He could either blow up into a star or fizzle and get shut out by NHL defenders. IMO I look at Backstrom over Kessel.

Kessel is one dimensional in the way a Bure, Kovalev, or Kovalchuk is one-dimensional. Very skilled offensive players who tend to be marginal defensive players. I'm not saying Kessel will have the same impact as those players, but the skill level and production is undeniable. You can talk potential all you want (although I struggle with the attempts to place Backstrom's potential ahead of Kessel's), but in the end you have to look at the points on the board, and that's what Kessel does, put up the points.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
James Ownz Harper said:
So....we shouldn't expect AO or SC numbers his rookie season? Hmmm okay but the Hawks don't need anymore D-men.

I don't know . . . put him on Crosby or Malkin's wing and the kid could do alright I would think.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Attica said:
After hearing the comments made that Jordon Staal could be the best of the 3 brothers, and what Eric and Marc have done so far, I have to take a hard look at him if I'm building a team for offense.

Hmm... haven't really heard that Jordan could be the best. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Jared Staal, the youger brother of Eric, Marc, and Jordan? I like Jordan Staal, but I'd be shocked if he ended up being better than Eric.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Kessel is one dimensional in the way a Bure, Kovalev, or Kovalchuk is one-dimensional. Very skilled offensive players who tend to be marginal defensive players. I'm not saying Kessel will have the same impact as those players, but the skill level and production is undeniable. You can talk potential all you want (although I struggle with the attempts to place Backstrom's potential ahead of Kessel's), but in the end you have to look at the points on the board, and that's what Kessel does, put up the points.

What you're saying equates to hype. You don't want to receognize Backstrom's skill level and production in the SEL, but gush over Kessel's on the collegiate level. Its a common double standard to not take a late riser seriously over someone who has been publicized for a longer time.

What is Backstrom doing right now? He's put up the points in an extremely competitive league. I guess you're thinking being this advanced right now and actually producing lessens his potential? IMO this refined, confident player like Backstrom raises the bar and now has an even higher potential. We've seen his early adjustment to mens league play, and can somewhat expect him to be able to do that in the NHL. His quick adaptation to SEL at 18 makes me think he can step into the NHL soon and be a dominant player in a few years. Whereas Kessel could fall completely off the NHL map. IMO Backstrom's got it all. Offensive dangle, shot, patience, defensive awareness, skating, grit, decent height(ie won't be advantageous but won't be hindered), solid frame, hockey sense.

Backstrom
Johnson
Kessel
Staal
Mueller

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Balej's Dance said:
What you're saying equates to hype. You don't want to receognize Backstrom's skill level and production in the SEL, but gush over Kessel's on the collegiate level. Its a common double standard to not take a late riser seriously over someone who has been publicized for a longer time.

What is Backstrom doing right now? He's put up the points in an extremely competitive league. I guess you're thinking being this advanced right now and actually producing lessens his potential? IMO this refined, confident player like Backstrom raises the bar and now has an even higher potential. We've seen his early adjustment to mens league play, and can somewhat expect him to be able to do that in the NHL. His quick adaptation to SEL at 18 makes me think he can step into the NHL soon and be a dominant player in a few years. Whereas Kessel could fall completely off the NHL map. IMO Backstrom's got it all. Offensive dangle, shot, patience, defensive awareness, skating, grit, decent height(ie won't be advantageous but won't be hindered), solid frame, hockey sense.

Backstrom
Johnson
Kessel
Staal
Mueller

I'm not downplaying Backstrom's accomplishments, I just don't see him being better than Kessel. Personal preference. I definately don't see his potential being greater than Erik Johnson.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not downplaying Backstrom's accomplishments, I just don't see him being better than Kessel. Personal preference. I definately don't see his potential being greater than Erik Johnson.

Me neither though he strikes me as the kind of player that ultimately will be better than both.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leachmeister2000 said:
Me neither though he strikes me as the kind of player that ultimately will be better than both.

Please explain. I'm just not sure how he projects better than Kessel let alone Erik Johnson.

Last edited:

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
1. Erik Johnson (D)
2. Phil Kessel (F)
3. Jonathan Toewes (F)
4. Peter Mueller (F)
5. Jordan Staal/Michal Frolik (both F)

That's how I'd call the order. So, if I'm right (big if), it would seem that the Hawks would have to keep sucking big-time to have a chance at Kessel.

It's not so much that I'm high on Frolik, by the way. It's just that the Hockey News has him ranked second behind Kessel, and I've been working my way through their prospects issue. So my mind is infected.... :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->