Line Combos: The top 6

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don't know where we rank among the other top teams in the league, but the Bruins top 6 this coming year has got to be close to the best in the league.

Was thinking about numbers and really like what we have right now. Here are some thoughts:
--Bergeron and Krejci have pretty consistently put up very similar numbers over the last 3 years and both are pretty much a lock to put up at least 50 points.
--Marchand seems to have turned into a perennial 50+ point guy and with Seguin gone he could end up leading the team in scoring again.
--Lucic can be a bit hit or miss. If he gets into a slump he tends to take a loooong time to come out of it. I think that's why he had such a down year this year. However his last 2 full seasons, he has put up 60+ points and he looks to have shaken this season's funk.
--As for the new guys, it's hard to predict what joining the B's will do to a player's numbers. Some guys need a ton of ice time to produce while others thrive on having skilled linemates. Loui seems to have put up his best numbers when given good linemates so lets say that he has a real good chance at putting up 60 points with the B's. Iginla is not getting any younger, but he has pretty consistently been a 60-80 point guy over the last few years. For as much as people want to say he's washed up, he was on pace for 60+ points again this year. On the Bruins he won't get the PP opportunities or the ice time that he's used to so I could see him having a drop in numbers, but playing with Looch and Krejci should help offset that. Let's be conservative and say there's a very good chance he puts up 50 points.

My point in all this is that 6/6 guys on our top 2 lines can realistically be projected to put up at least 50 points with a couple guys possibly going as high as 70 if they get on a roll. Additionally we could see all 6 guys put up 20 goals too! Now a guy like Looch could just as easily get cold and end up with 40ish, but I feel like he really turned a corner at the end of this season. I'd be surprised if any of these guys hit a prolonged cold streak in the new season. So what I'm getting at is how many teams can reasonably expect their entire top 6 to put up at least 50 points apiece?

The Pens top 6 is the most obvious possibility off the top of my head. The Leafs and Hawks should get a lot out of their top 6 as well. The Kings if healthy are another possibility. But for my money the Bruins have some seriously awesome balance just within their top 2 lines alone. If the 3rd and 4th lines can contribute some then this team could very easily be a top offensive team again.

PS, this is without taking injuries into consideration. A lengthy injury to any of these guys obviously would screw up the numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad