The top 4 in goals, 3 Americans

serp

Jan 17, 2016
All teams have twice as many Canadians as others. Let's get carried away.

Stars have 9 Canadians on their 23 man roster with two more non Canadians on IR in Hanzal and Johns . Our two best scorers are Canadians but the rest of the team is very international.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Most American hockey players grow up shooting right handed, so they tend to have better shots, but be worse at stickhandling than their Canadian and Russian counterparts (who mostly shoot left).

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
You know I think that USA hockey has entered somewhat of a golden generation. Lotta high end American talent in the league now

It's not just a genneration, it's the future. Due in large part to roller, the game has spread everywhere. Hockey parents sometimes drive their kids hours just for practice on ice and it still keeps growing in the States.

Reactions: dukeofjive

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's not just a genneration, it's the future. Due in large part to roller, the game has spread everywhere. Hockey parents sometimes drive their kids hours just for practice on ice and it still keeps growing in the States.
Yeah, once the US becomes interested in a sport it is nearly guaranteed to dominate due to the sheer amount of money and people available. If Canada's lucky football/soccer/baseball/basketball will be enough of a distraction that we won't entirely loose our #1 foothold, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we eventually see the US take over.

Reactions: Legionnaire

BerlinBlueShirt

Feb 25, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Yeah, once the US becomes interested in a sport it is nearly guaranteed to dominate due to the sheer amount of money and people available. If Canada's lucky football/soccer/baseball/basketball will be enough of a distraction that we won't entirely loose our #1 foothold, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we eventually see the US take over.
The US is dominating soccer?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You cant just include 2 guys with 6 goals and exclude the other 2 with 6 goals to help the narrative :laugh:

Also, it's freaking 5 games into the season. What is it with Leafs fans and the inability to understand simple size.
It's a good thing we have you here to steer us dummy leafs fans in the right direction. I too am sick of the Leafs fans narrative to push their agenda of Americans doing well in goal scoring. You caught us.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
"All teams"? The Bruins have 11 Americans and 4 Canadiens. Their blue line is all USA born except Chara. Methinks you should reasses just who is getting carried away.

Actually, the Bruins have ZERO Canadiens on the team. The Bruins have 4 CanadiAns on the team. :sarcasm:

But seriously... as an American, I really don’t give a rat’s ass where my favorite team’s players were born or whose program they were developed by. The patriot in me is proud, but the Bruins fan in me just wants the Stanley Cup.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I like the top 6

Kane-Matthews-Wheeler
Gaudreau-Eichel-Kessel

It's now officially scary for Canada. For the last 15 years or so the USA has had good wingers, good goalies, good D. But at the end of the day they were still rolling Dubinsky, Gomez, Kesler, Backes, Stepan, etc down the middle against Crosby, Thornton, Getzlaf, Tavares, Toews, Bergeron, and so on.

Matthews/Eichel changes everything, especially if Jack Hughes is the real deal as well.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
None of it means anything this early after only few games have been played. There no concessions to be drawn.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So it looks like it’s really 3 of the top 6 or 4 of the top 10. Still not bad, but Canada is very well represented up there and there’s a lot of hockey left to play.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Yes. Thank you NHL for keeping the players out of the Olympics.

Ruining any chance of a USA gold medal

Was just going to say this. Last season should have been our best Olympic team ever.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting early season stat. I expect a few changes by season's end. Matthews probably finishes top 3-5 in goals though.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
the next few could be even better! If they ever play that is

It doesnt bother me much that they dint but Id watch the semis and on, with this type of talent.

There are a few guys who would have been important pieces last season, who will have moved out of their prime by 2022 but there's definitely reason for optimism. This year's U-18 team at the program is showing early signs of being a really strong birth year for USA Hockey too.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Auston Matthews (1st) 10 goals
David Pastrnak (2nd) 7 goals
Kyle Palmieri (3rd) 6 goals
Alex DeBrincat (4th) 6 goals

Nathan MacKinnon (5th) 6 goals
-----------------------------------
John Tavares (6th) 6 goals
Patrick Kane (7th) 5 goals
Elias Pettersson (8th) 5 goals
Jonathan Toews (9th) 5 goals
Patrice Bergeron (10th) 5 goals

Last season:

Anders Lee (7th)
James Van Riemsdyk (13th)
Auston Matthews (18th)
Phil Kessel (21st)

I know the season has just started, but its still pretty interesting.
No it's not, because... as you said, it's very, very, very early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad