3)Drew Doughty - 49.38%
4)Brent Burns - 48.30%
5)Duncan Keith - 34.34%
6)Pernell-Karl Subban - 50.00%
7)Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 29.63%
8)Kris Letang - 29.45%
9)Alex Pietrangelo - 30.82%
10)Roman Josi - 29.14%
11)Shea Weber - 25.17% (Lost Tiebreaker)
12)Ryan Suter - 28.07%
13)Marc Edouard Vlasic - 28.78%
14)Mark Giordano - 28.06% (Lost Tiebreaker)
15)Ryan McDonagh - 46.00%
16)Hampus Lindholm - 25.89%
17)Seth Jones - 34.21%
18)Thomas James Brodie - 24.72%
19)Colton Parayko - 12.75%

Added: Aaron Ekblad

Add Standings:

Shattenkirk - 5
Chara -3
Gardiner - 2
Orlov, Provorov - 2
Barrie, Hamonic, Savard - 1

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
10 or so picks from now...

giphy.gif

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How so? Hamilton is much better offensively and is only a little worse in his own end. I'll take Hamilton this year.

Hamilton is more than a little worse defensively. The problem with him is he's great when he's allowed to do his thing but he's needs someone to play off of defensively. He starts to unravel without a babysitter

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How so? Hamilton is much better offensively and is only a little worse in his own end. I'll take Hamilton this year.

Hamilton is the opposite of close the Slavin in terms of defensive ability. He's never been able to be counted on to defend without a babysitter.

The only thing Hamilton has on Slavin is his shot. Everything else is Slavin. It is not even remotely close between these two.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

That's a severe understatement. Slavin was one of the best defensive players in the league, Hamilton doesn't come close. Hamilton isn't a defensive liability unlike what people think, but Hamilton is not great defensively either, whereas Slavin is elite defensively.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Hamilton is the opposite of close the Slavin in terms of defensive ability. He's never been able to be counted on to defend without a babysitter.

The only thing Hamilton has on Slavin is his shot. Everything else is Slavin. It is not even remotely close between these two.
Amazing :shakehead

Two years ago Hamilton got off to a rough start with his new team/linemates and still people think it continued, fact is Dougie has been solid defensively and a beast offensively ever since. He and Giordano are now one of the best D pairings in the league and it's not just because of "babysitter" Gio.

Slavin has a solid IQ but he's butter soft and shoots like a pee-wee, Hamilton trumps him hard even without flames fans to help the voting.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Two years ago Hamilton got off to a rough start with his new team/linemates and still people think it continued, fact is Dougie has been solid defensively and a beast offensively ever since. He and Giordano are now one of the best D pairings in the league and it's not just because of "babysitter" Gio.

Slavin has a solid IQ but he's butter soft and shoots like a pee-wee, Hamilton trumps him hard even without flames fans to help the voting.

Physical being considered a defensive trait now a days is just dumb. Physicality helps, but you don't have to be physical to be good defensively. Sometimes going for that hit can hinder your team (Ehem Phaneuf and Mark Stuart).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I watch both guys play a ton of hockey. Trust me when I tell you that it's not close. Slavin would be Calgary's best defenseman (maybe best player).

Watch him over a full season and you'll understand what I'm talking about. If Slavin played in Calgary McDavid only scores 95 points last year. He is a black hole for the league's superstars.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Stats up until 1/2/2017 when I compiled them last. stats.hockeyanalysis.com no longer exists and nhl.com sucks.

In the past 4 seasons amongst players with 4000 minutes or more at 5 on 5 Torey Krug is...

4th in goals ALLOWED per 60
tied for 7th in Corsi For % (4th in Corsi for and 33rd in Corsi against)
16th in points
4th in shots
13th in goals
13th in primary assists
7th in goals for %

Last season he was 1st in CF% amongst defenseman with at least 65 games and 7th in points. He is obviously top notch offensively, but his puck moving ability has also led to better goals allowed rates than the vast majority of players already selected, and certainly a better choice than Hamilton, who would be an embarrassing selection by hfboards at this stage.

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
Stats up until 1/2/2017 when I compiled them last. stats.hockeyanalysis.com no longer exists and nhl.com sucks.

In the past 4 seasons amongst players with 4000 minutes or more at 5 on 5 Torey Krug is...

4th in goals ALLOWED per 60
tied for 7th in Corsi For % (4th in Corsi for and 33rd in Corsi against)
16th in points
4th in shots
13th in goals
13th in primary assists
7th in goals for %

Last season he was 1st in CF% amongst defenseman with at least 65 games and 7th in points. He is obviously top notch offensively, but his puck moving ability has also led to better goals allowed rates than the vast majority of players already selected, and certainly a better choice than Hamilton, who would be an embarrassing selection by hfboards at this stage.

I really like Torey Krug, and think he should have gone earlier. In fact, I'll probably be voting for him next. But, IMO Hamilton > Krug.

Krug's Corsi is boosted by playing often with Bergeron and Marchand, who are 1st and 2nd in relative corsi among NHL players with more than 50 games played. When you look at relative CF% Hamilton is among the best D in the league with 6.9%, while Krug falls to 4.9%. In relative FF% Hamilton is 7.4% and Krug is 4.6%.

Last season Hamilton had more shots than Krug and only one less point, but Krug had over 150 more minutes on ice.

Unfortunately I can't find some of the stats you mentioned and come up with Hamilton's numbers due to puckalytics and hockeyanalysis being down. But at the very least you must admit that Krug and Hamilton are very close to each other in terms of skill and calling Hamilton "an embarrassment" to go now is just wrong.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Looks like Hamilton is going to land #20... NHL.com just released their top 20 DMan list. Here's a comparison.

HF (NHL.COM)
1. Erik Karlsson (-)
2. Victor Hedman (+2)
3. Drew Doughty (-)
4. Brent Burns (-2)
5. Duncan Keith (-)
6. P.K. Subban (-)
7. Oliver-Ekman Larsson (+4)
8. Kris Letang (-)
9. Alex Pietrangelo (+5)
10. Roman Josi (-3)
11. Shea Weber (-2)