6. Nikita Kucherov
7. Victor Hedman
8. Drew Doughty
9. Nathan MacKinnon
10. Patrice Bergeron
11. Patrick Kane
12. Anze Kopitar
13. Taylor Hall

Pick someone you'd like me to add to the poll as well when you vote (including goalies).
If people are interested I may go up to 50.

Adds:
0 Giordano
1 Tarasenko
0 Pastrnak
0 Provorov
0 Nylander
2 Getzlaf
0 Laine
0 Kessel
0 Klingberg
0 Marner
1 Draisaitl
0 Holtby
1 Josi
2 Jones
0 Gibson
0 Lundqvist
0 Rinne
0 Crawford
1 Backstrom

Last edited:

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Are people seriously rating Tavares above Giroux? Giroux scores more and is way better away from the puck. I don't see any argument for Tavares.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Are people seriously rating Tavares above Giroux? Giroux scores more and is way better away from the puck. I don't see any argument for Tavares.

Tavares PPG since 2013 - 0.98
Giroux PPG since 2013 - 0.95

Tavares CF% rel - 50.9
Giroux CF% rel - 52.3

They seem pretty close to me, and Tavares still plays C. Let's see how they do with John finally being on a quality team.

It's funny because it's so easy to look up these stats, and yet people just keep making these claims without taking 2 minutes to check on them.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Tavares PPG since 2013 - 0.98
Giroux PPG since 2013 - 0.95

Tavares CF% rel - 50.9
Giroux CF% rel - 52.3

They seem pretty close to me, and Tavares still plays C. Let's see how they do with John finally being on a quality team.

It's funny because it's so easy to look up these stats, and yet people just keep making these claims without taking 2 minutes to check on them.

Those are convenient for Tavares (especially the cutoff year), but doesn't change the fact that he's never scored more than 86 points in a season while Giroux put up 93 in 77 GP (right before your convenient cutoff) and just put up 102. He also has another season tying Tavares's career high where he was a Hart finalist. Besides, Tavares doesn't get credit for just playing C, Giroux is much better defensively and at faceoffs. Tavares is a one dimensional forward who gets easy zone starts. Giroux is not and still puts up better numbers.

The way Marchand has been playing lately, I can understand putting him over Giroux. Tavares, though, is worse at everything but goal scoring and is still just getting by on hype (and a bigger fanbase behind him now).

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Those are convenient for Tavares (especially the cutoff year), but doesn't change the fact that he's never scored more than 86 points in a season while Giroux put up 93 in 77 GP (right before your convenient cutoff) and just put up 102. Besides, Tavares doesn't get credit for just playing C, Giroux is much better defensively and at faceoffs. Tavares is a one dimensional forward who gets easy zone starts. Giroux is not and still puts up better numbers.

The way Marchand has been playing lately, I can understand putting him over Giroux. Tavares, though, is worse at everything but goal scoring and is still just getting by on hype (and a bigger fanbase behind him now).

Convenient cutoff? It's 5 years, seems like a reasonable number. I just scrolled up a few years on NHL's stats page and said to sum. Regardless, we're talking a tiny gap, despite Giroux playing for some much better teams in that time frame.

Let's see how Tavares does this season with a better team. I think he will open a large gap beween him and Giroux, personally.

1967th Heaven

Aug 31, 2012
Curious when the next dman will go and who it'll be. Seems like Karlsson, Doughty and Hedman are kinda in their own tier based on voters here

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Convenient cutoff? It's 5 years, seems like a reasonable number. I just scrolled up a few years on NHL's stats page and said to sum. Regardless, we're talking a tiny gap, despite Giroux playing for some much better teams in that time frame.

Let's see how Tavares does this season with a better team. I think he will open a large gap beween him and Giroux, personally.

You think the Flyers were much better than the Islanders over the past 5 years?? The standings would suggest otherwise.

5 years seems reasonable out of context, but in context you're excluding the previous year where Giroux scored at a 1.21 PPG clip compared to Tavares at a .99 PPG pace which is the biggest separation they've had until this past season.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I believe the Islanders will miss Tavares more than the Flyers would miss Giroux.
Tavares, add Seth Jones.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Carey Price
I get the contract is fun to make fun of, and that he had a horrible season.

I expect that by year end a majority of HF will label him a top 5-10 player in the league again. He's going to rebound.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Those are convenient for Tavares (especially the cutoff year), but doesn't change the fact that he's never scored more than 86 points in a season while Giroux put up 93 in 77 GP (right before your convenient cutoff) and just put up 102. He also has another season tying Tavares's career high where he was a Hart finalist. Besides, Tavares doesn't get credit for just playing C, Giroux is much better defensively and at faceoffs. Tavares is a one dimensional forward who gets easy zone starts. Giroux is not and still puts up better numbers.

Agreed. I don’t think what a player did 5 years ago is all that relevant. I’d probably look at three year averages or some sort of weighted system that weighs recent seasons more heavily.
I went Giroux here and as much as it pains me Marchand after that.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
You think the Flyers were much better than the Islanders over the past 5 years?? The standings would suggest otherwise.

5 years seems reasonable out of context, but in context you're excluding the previous year where Giroux scored at a 1.21 PPG clip compared to Tavares at a .99 PPG pace which is the biggest separation they've had until this past season.

Okay, so how about we just do their careers:

Tavares: 0.89 2.7 CF% rel
Giroux: 0.88 2.5 CF% rel

Listen, I am not trying to put down Giroux. However, to say one is the better offensive player and much better defensively is just a lie. They are very close, with a big deciding factor for me moving forward being that Tavares is still putting up these numbers as a C. These two have had very comparable careers.

The point is that it's very easy to make a statement like was made in this thread, but it's far more impressive if you actually back it up.

Agreed. I don’t think what a player did 5 years ago is all that relevant. I’d probably look at three year averages or some sort of weighted system that weighs recent seasons more heavily.
I went Giroux here and as much as it pains me Marchand after that.

Trust me, we wouldn't expect any less from you.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Okay, so how about we just do their careers:

Tavares: 0.89 2.7 CF% rel
Giroux: 0.88 2.5 CF% rel

Listen, I am not trying to put down Giroux. However, to say one is the better offensive player and much better defensively is just a lie. They are very close, with a big deciding factor for me moving forward being that Tavares is still putting up these numbers as a C. These two have had very comparable careers.

The point is that it's very easy to make a statement like was made in this thread, but it's far more impressive if you actually back it up.

Trust me, we wouldn't expect any less from you.
Lol! Oh the irony coming from you. :laugh:
I guess saying the most recent seasons are more relevant makes me a Leaf hater.
I think most reasonable people would agree that the last three seasons are more relevant than the career averages. But hey cherry pick whatever stats let you sleep at night. Both are really good players and should be close in the poll.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Lol! Oh the irony coming from you. :laugh:
I guess saying the most recent seasons are more relevant makes me a Leaf hater.

Oh no, it's a valid method (although it ignores things like context), it's just you've earned a reputation by instigating with Leaf fans in every single possible thread, so I am not surprised to see you chiming in.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Oh no, it's a valid method (although it ignores things like context), it's just you've earned a reputation by instigating with Leaf fans in every single possible thread, so I am not surprised to see you chiming in.
And you have a reputation as one of the biggest Leaf ‘supporters’ in every thread so I’m not surprised to see you criticizing someone for using what you admit is a valid method.
Criticize the content not the poster.
That’s the whole purpose of the main board.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
And you have a reputation as one of the biggest Leaf ‘supporters’ in every thread so I’m not surprised to see you criticizing someone for using what you admit is a valid method.
Criticize the content not the poster.
That’s the whole purpose of the main board.

I bring numbers to my arguments, at least, instead of blind hate/love.

07.20.2018-11.15.png

Here's my attempt at a weighted average. This one weights the season S 40%, S-1 35% and S-2 25%.

About a point difference.

Here's one that more heavily weights the last season:

07.20.2018-11.19.png

About a 5 point difference.

To me, if you combine these with the fact that Tavares plays C, that he scores more goals (debatable that this matters), and that their A1/60 are about the same career wise, I would say these players are very close, and that linemates and zone starts would account for much of the discrepancies.

If you take into account that Tavares is 27 and Giroux is 30, the valuation of the two moving forward is either dead on, or slightly favouring the younger player playing C.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Critical:
‘I bring numbers to my arguments, at least, instead of blind hate/love.’

First thanks for doing the research. This confirms what I though which is that it is close but Giroux is the better player. That is what I expected.
My argument that Giroux is the slightly better player is supported by the statistics not blind love/ hate.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So does position, zone starts and line mates mean nothing to you?

I will enjoy revisiting this later this year, I think.
Of course context matters. But in this case I think you’re only looking at the factors that favour your original choice. Line mates can certainly be argued both ways for example.
Given the large disparity in points last season I’m pretty confident that revisiting this in a year will be pretty much the same result. 18 points is a pretty big gap to close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad