The Top 25 OHL Prospects for 2017

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
https://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017/08/top-25-ohl-prospects-summer-of-2017.html

Second year that I'm doing this list following the conclusion of my NHL team write ups ('31 Teams in 31 Days'). This is a list of the top prospects who played in the OHL during the 2016/2017 season. Just as I did last year, I'm going to cap the list at Top 25, with some honorable mentions. Plenty more information at the jump, such as ranking justifications and larger write ups on progression (from their 31 Teams in 31 Days article).

1. Dylan Strome
2. Mikhail Sergachev
3. Olli Juolevi
4. Gabe Vilardi
5. Mike McLeod
6. Owen Tippett
7. Alex Debrincat
8. Nick Suzuki
9. Logan Brown
10. Max Jones
11. Tyler Parsons
12. Jordan Kyrou
13. Blake Speers
14. Zach Senyshyn
15. Adam Mascherin
16. Robert Thomas
17. Filip Hronek
18. Michael McNiven
19. Victor Mete
20. Cliff Pu
21. Logan Stanley
22. Mitchell Stephens
23. Anthony Cirelli
24. Taylor Raddysh
25. Boris Katchouk

Happy to answer any questions/reply to comments.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Too much London Knights bias on the list.

There's no chance Juolevi played like a top 3 prospect in the OHL last year (even if there was a quality drop this year as opposed to other years- in the OHL).

I'd be geniuinely surprised if Parsons becomes a regular starting goalie in the NHL in the future but acknowledge it's hard to project goaltenders.

I've never been as high on Logan Brown as others going back to his draft year. Felt he would be a bust and still do- and had my fair share of arguments dating back as such.

Sergachev is the real deal and I've been high on Kyrou for some time now- I'd probably rank him in the top 5 personally. I'd also rank Raddysh a lot higher.

I'd probably put in Jason Robertson, Timmins, Debrincat, Bracco in my personal top 25.

Appreciate the work you put in and thanks for sharing- not my intention to be overly critical as a side note.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

There's no chance Juolevi played like a top 3 prospect in the OHL last year (even if there was a quality drop this year as opposed to other years- in the OHL).

I'd be geniuinely surprised if Parsons becomes a regular starting goalie in the NHL in the future but acknowledge it's hard to project goaltenders.

I've never been as high on Logan Brown as others going back to his draft year. Felt he would be a bust and still do- and had my fair share of arguments dating back as such.

Sergachev is the real deal and I've been high on Kyrou for some time now- I'd probably rank him in the top 5 personally. I'd also rank Raddysh a lot higher.

I'd probably put in Jason Robertson, Timmins, Debrincat, Bracco in my personal top 25.

Appreciate the work you put in and thanks for sharing- not my intention to be overly critical as a side note.

Sergachev was not any better than Juolevi this year.

Both were a little disappointing. But Juolevi had a really strong playoffs, and Serg a strong Memorial Cup

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens fans are certainly hoping ... Brown notches it up this year. He needs to for himself most of all.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

I'd disagree, Serg was clearly better this year.

Sergachev didn't take a huge step up this year (like McAvoy or Chabot) but he had a good year in way tougher usage defensively. And he's shown flashes of high-end upside. He's still tracking favourably to me.

Can't say the same about Juolevi. Though he did have a good playoffs, which was his saving grace of his D+1 year- so did most of the entire Knights team in general. But he wasn't definitively the best d-man on the Knights and certainly, not the best player even in the playoffs- Thomas, Parsons. I also don't think he has the high-end upside of Sergachev and I don't project him into the NHL as favorably. So I still question his ranking here. I don't think he's a bust but he's not a elite prospect with a high ceiling- whereas you could make the case with Serg, IMO.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario

Both were a little disappointing. But Juolevi had a really strong playoffs, and Serg a strong Memorial Cup

I agree
Yeah I don't know why people say Sergachev had a good year.

First half of his year was terrible.
And he was really bad in the first round of the playoffs against london

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just a hunch....but Jonah Gadjovich and Michael DiPietro will make this list look a little 'thin' by the end of the season.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I agree
Yeah I don't know why people say Sergachev had a good year.

First half of his year was terrible.
And he was really bad in the first round of the playoffs against london

Yup. Juolevi outplayed him in the playoffs head to head. Then you compare their Memorial Cup performances, Sergachyev was good but Juolevi was even better in his (2016).

Would also take the D-man that is noted for his elite hockey sense and vision/playmaking, unlike Sergachyev who is more tools reliant with his shot being his main weapon who doesn't display the highest IQ.

And the size factor is mitigated with Juolevi now 6'3 200.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Parsons is amazing but goalies translating to the next level is never a sure thing.

Fair enough. But he was straight up ridiculous last year. His OHL playoffs and WJC were unbelievable. Easily a better prospect than a guy like Jones, or DeBrincat IMO.

I've heard a lot of scouts think he's the best goalie prospect to come along in a long time.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I'd disagree, Serg was clearly better this year.

Sergachev didn't take a huge step up this year (like McAvoy or Chabot) but he had a good year in way tougher usage defensively. And he's shown flashes of high-end upside. He's still tracking favourably to me.

Can't say the same about Juolevi. Though he did have a good playoffs, which was his saving grace of his D+1 year- so did most of the entire Knights team in general. But he wasn't definitively the best d-man on the Knights and certainly, not the best player even in the playoffs- Thomas, Parsons. I also don't think he has the high-end upside of Sergachev and I don't project him into the NHL as favorably. So I still question his ranking here. I don't think he's a bust but he's not a elite prospect with a high ceiling- whereas you could make the case with Serg, IMO.

Serg didn't just not take a huge step up this year, he flat out regressed if you ask me.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Shouldn't Debrincat be higher? Like top 3?

If the ranking was best drafted OHL players then yeah, maybe Debrincat is top 3. This ranking is best NHL prospects in the OHL. Debrincat is better in the context of the OHL than he is in the context of the NHL.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
He has massive holes to his game, if his offense doesn't completely translate he won't play in the NHL IMO. Sure there are instances like Corey Perry where that type of player exceeded pro expectations.

My reasoning for Raddysh being so low is similar to what Jason has said.

Basically, I'm not convinced that his offensive production translates to the NHL level with his lack of even above average skating ability. He has good hands and instincts, but his production relies on timing. And when facing better competition (aka quicker and better defenders), I worry how he'll adapt. We saw this at this year's WJC.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA

Personally, I just don't get it when people pull the "London Knights bias" card out for lists like this.

There's a reason why NHL team's continue to draft (and high) from that program. Because they do an excellent job developing players and preparing them for pro hockey.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Good list. Went down like this as a Lightning fan

*sees Sergachev at #2 and gets real excited*

*looks down the list to see where the other Lightning players fall on this list*

*look and look some more*

whatthehellisthis.jpg

*sees 22, 23, 24, 25 rounded out by Lightning prospects*

D'oh!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad