The top 10 trades of all time - no order

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBear*

Let's see what you can come up with, blockbuster or not. Trades where both teams made big gains from the trades and made them better. No steals or giveaway trades.

Here's a few - NO ORDER

TO COLORADO: ROB BLAKE, STEVEN REINPRECHT
TO LA: ADAM DEADMARSH, AARON MILLER, PICK (JARED AULIN)

TO COLORADO: RAYMOND BOURQUE, DAVE ANDREYCHUK
TO BOSTON: Brian Rolston, Martin Grenier, Samuel Pahlsson and a 1st round draft pick (NAME?)

TO QUEBEC: PETER FORSBERG
TO PHILLY: ERIC LINDROS

Darcy Wakaluk

Apr 30, 2004
PapaBear said:
TO QUEBEC: PETER FORSBERG + A whole lotta players + A whole lotta cash
TO PHILLY: ERIC LINDROS

How is this not a steal. Quebec robbed Philadelphia blind in a move which made them contenders overnight and for the past decade.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
TO MONTREAL: Mark Recchi, Mark Lamb
TO PHILADELPHIA: Gilbert Dionnel, John Leclair, Eric Desjardins

TO MONTREAL: Pierre Turgeon, Vladimir Malakhov
TO UNIONDALE: Kirk Muller, Mathieu Schneider, Craig Darby

TO MONTREAL: Jocelyn Thibault, Andrei Kovalenko, Martin Rucinsky
TO COLORADO: Patrick Roy, Mike Keane

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Darcy Wakaluk said:
How is this not a steal. Quebec robbed Philadelphia blind in a move which made them contenders overnight and for the past decade.

Philadelphia actually had the better part of that deal up until Lindros got Stevens-quaked. He was the single most dominant player of the game in all aspects - rivalling Lemieux/Jagr in scoring and nobody's rival in the physical aspect. Divisional rivals would stock up on players simply to combat Eric Lindros.

Of course, in hindsight, Quebec won that trade, but for a span of five or six years, Philadelphia was seen as the consensus winner.

Nifty=HHOF

Jul 8, 2004
Depressed Yankee Land
PapaBear said:
TO BOSTON: Brian Rolston, Martin Grenier, Samuel Pahlsson and a 1st round draft pick (NAME?)

The draft pick was Martin Samuelsson

As a Bruins fan I would say that the trade helped Colorado alot more than Boston. Rolston was a nice player for the B's for a couple of years, Grenier never played for the Bruins, Pahlsson played 17 games for the B's before being traded to Anaheim and Samuelsson is still just a good prospect.

In exchange for that, Bourque helped Colorado win a Stanley Cup.

PapaBear*

Niftyone said:
The draft pick was Martin Samuelsson

As a Bruins fan I would say that the trade helped Colorado alot more than Boston. Rolston was a nice player for the B's for a couple of years, Grenier never played for the Bruins, Pahlsson played 17 games for the B's before being traded to Anaheim and Samuelsson is still just a good prospect.

In exchange for that, Bourque helped Colorado win a Stanley Cup.

Rolston was very under rated for the Bruins, he was very versatile and if I recall had a 2- 60+ pt seasons? Maybe Im wrong. He was the go to guy on the PK as well as Ax, and provided very strong secondary scoring.

IMO very under rated player. Sad to see the Wild sign him to a multi year.

SChan*

kmad said:
Philadelphia actually had the better part of that deal up until Lindros got Stevens-quaked. He was the single most dominant player of the game in all aspects - rivalling Lemieux/Jagr in scoring and nobody's rival in the physical aspect. Divisional rivals would stock up on players simply to combat Eric Lindros.

Of course, in hindsight, Quebec won that trade, but for a span of five or six years, Philadelphia was seen as the consensus winner.

Or not. I remember that Lindros totally choked in the finals vs Detroit. He had like 1 point.

PapaBear*

kmad said:

I agree. Legion of Doom line!

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Boston: Cam Neely, 1st pick ( Glen Wesley)
Vancouver: Barry Pedersen

Vancouver: Markus Naslund
Pittsburgh: Alex Stojanov

Tampa Bay: Karl Dykhuis and Michael Renberg
Philadelphia : 1st round choices in 1998 ( Simon Gagne), 1999 ( Maxime Ouellet), 2000 ( Justin Williams), and 2001 ( Jeff Woywitka)

Hartford : glen wesley
Boston : 3 chox de premiere ronde ( mclaren , samsonov + ? ???)

Buffalo : Stephane Beauregard + 5th round ( daze)
Chigago : Hasek

Jets/Coyote:Kilger & Tverdovsky
Anaheim:selanee

Ottawa:Christer Olsson
St. Louis :Pavel Demitra

ottawa : chara + spezza + sheafear
islander : alexie yashin

Washington : Trevor Linden + zubrus
Montreal : bulis+zednick+ 1er choix ( perezhoghin)

Edmonton: miroslav satan
Buffalo : barrie moore + craig millar

RJ8812*

Masao said:
TO MONTREAL: Mark Recchi, Mark Lamb
TO PHILADELPHIA: Gilbert Dionnel, John Leclair, Eric Desjardins

i love this trade from philly's standpoint, LeClair was a dominating power forward on the Legion of Doom Line, and Desjardins put up some nice offensive numbers, considering they got Recchi back eventually, he's gone now though :cry:

Nazzy-19

Mar 3, 2004
Vancouver
gars59 said:
Boston: Cam Neely, 1st pick ( Glen Wesley)
Vancouver: Barry Pedersen

Vancouver: Markus Naslund
Pittsburgh: Alex Stojanov

Tampa Bay: Karl Dykhuis and Michael Renberg
Philadelphia : 1st round choices in 1998 ( Simon Gagne), 1999 ( Maxime Ouellet), 2000 ( Justin Williams), and 2001 ( Jeff Woywitka)

Hartford : glen wesley
Boston : 3 chox de premiere ronde ( mclaren , samsonov + ? ???)

Buffalo : Stephane Beauregard + 5th round ( daze)
Chigago : Hasek

Jets/Coyote:Kilger & Tverdovsky
Anaheim:selanee

Ottawa:Christer Olsson
St. Louis :Pavel Demitra

ottawa : chara + spezza + sheafear
islander : alexie yashin

Washington : Trevor Linden + zubrus
Montreal : bulis+zednick+ 1er choix ( perezhoghin)

Edmonton: miroslav satan
Buffalo : barrie moore + craig millar

I'm pretty sure Van traded Peter Schaefer to Ottawa for Sami Salo. A trade that worked out well for both teams.

yvresgyros

Feb 8, 2005
Tampere, Finland
Masao said:
TO MONTREAL: Jocelyn Thibault, Andrei Kovalenko, Martin Rucinsky
TO COLORADO: Patrick Roy, Mike Keane
à was in CEGEP (which is like junior college for people who don't know) and Réal, the security guard (a great fella that was saying things like "oh sorry, you can't smoke this here, if you'd rolled it with just one or 2 papers maybe but would you mind going outdoors to smoke this one?") came up to me (cause I was the one out of 7000 students that walked around with the #12 on my back) and anounced me the first - and worse - of all the peanut trades.
That's the one I remember most. Like some would remember the JFK's assassination. (Brought a cup to Dallas...debatable) It brought 2 Stanley Cups down in Colorado, and got the cup away from Montreal for 7+ years for the first time in history and well, how many more years...

KOVALEV10*

Matt13 said:
1. Gretz to LA
2. Lindros to Philly
3. Bourque to Colorado

All 3 of those trades were steels... the thread started clearly said he's talking about trades that benefited both teams.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
kmad said:

How was Philly the winner of that trade, before the Stevens hit? I would trade Lindros straight up for Forsberg. I guess you could say they were winners for the first couple years, but that's because Forsberg wasn't in the NHL yet. Just for Lindros, they got Ron Hextall (who was used to bring in Adam Deadmarsh), Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci (who played a big role with the team himself, but was later traded for Shean Donovan and another first round pick which was Alex Tanguay), two first round draft picks (One of which was used to get Jocelyn Thibault, who in turn was a major part or the Patrick Roy trade), and $15 million cash.

Plus if you want to look at it a little deeper, Steve Duchesne was traded for Bob Bassen, Garth Butcher and Ron Sutter. Not very impressive at first look, but Garth Butcher was traded for Wendel Clark, and later on Clark was traded for Claude Lemieux, who played very well for the Avs, especially in the 96' cup run. Also Ron Sutter was traded along with Brett Lindros for Uwe Krupp and another 1st round pick (Wade Belak) and Krupp helped seal the cup win in 96 with his OT goal. Finally, Ron Hextall was traded, along with a first round pick (which coincidentally became Todd Bertuzzi), for Mark Fitzpatrick and their 1st round pick, which became Adam Deadmarsh, who also played a big role with the team, and was a fan favorite, but was also used as the center piece of the Blake trade.

I know the last paragraph is a bit of a stretch, becuase you can find a lot of good deals if you follow the trade path of one player, but I think even the original deal, is outstanding, and like I said, even though I'm a bit biased, I would trade Lindros for Forsberg straight up, anyway. They've both had injury pagged careers, so that can't be used as an excuse, and even stat wise Forsberg is better, not to mention the intangales. If you look at their first eight seasons in the league (which is right up until the Stevens hit) Peter out scores him, 686 to 659. It's a close call, as they are both great players, but I would go with Forsberg.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
KOVALEV10 said:
All 3 of those trades were steels... the thread started clearly said he's talking about trades that benefited both teams.

I don't think all of those trades he mentioned are steals. The Gretz trade maybe, but the Bourque trade helped out the B's, and even the Forsberg-Lindros trade, although Philly overpayed greatly, can be considered as helping out Philly, since they got the Big E for so many years.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Nazzy-19 said:
I'm pretty sure Van traded Peter Schaefer to Ottawa for Sami Salo. A trade that worked out well for both teams.

Yeah Bill Muckault was the other part of that trade. and i believe the original poster said no steals and this was probabaly one of the worst robberies of the 90s.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Foppa2118 said:
How was Philly the winner of that trade, before the Stevens hit? I would trade Lindros straight up for Forsberg. I guess you could say they were winners for the first couple years, but that's because Forsberg wasn't in the NHL yet. Just for Lindros, they got Ron Hextall (who was used to bring in Adam Deadmarsh), Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci (who played a big role with the team himself, but was later traded for Shean Donovan and another first round pick which was Alex Tanguay), two first round draft picks (One of which was used to get Jocelyn Thibault, who in turn was a major part or the Patrick Roy trade), and $15 million cash.

Plus if you want to look at it a little deeper, Steve Duchesne was traded for Bob Bassen, Garth Butcher and Ron Sutter. Not very impressive at first look, but Garth Butcher was traded for Wendel Clark, and later on Clark was traded for Claude Lemieux, who played very well for the Avs, especially in the 96' cup run. Also Ron Sutter was traded along with Brett Lindros for Uwe Krupp and another 1st round pick (Wade Belak) and Krupp helped seal the cup win in 96 with his OT goal. Finally, Ron Hextall was traded, along with a first round pick (which coincidentally became Todd Bertuzzi), for Mark Fitzpatrick and their 1st round pick, which became Adam Deadmarsh, who also played a big role with the team, and was a fan favorite, but was also used as the center piece of the Blake trade.

I know the last paragraph is a bit of a stretch, becuase you can find a lot of good deals if you follow the trade path of one player, but I think even the original deal, is outstanding, and like I said, even though I'm a bit biased, I would trade Lindros for Forsberg straight up, anyway. They've both had injury pagged careers, so that can't be used as an excuse, and even stat wise Forsberg is better, not to mention the intangales. If you look at their first eight seasons in the league (which is right up until the Stevens hit) Peter out scores him, 686 to 659. It's a close call, as they are both great players, but I would go with Forsberg.

1.) Colorado also traded Mats Sundin for Wendel Clark.

2.) The reason why Philly is so rich today is because Comcast owns them. One major reason why Comcast decided to purchase the Flyers was because of Eric Lindros' star potential. Philly is flourishing because of their high salary allowance and I don't think they regret the trade much.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jovanovski = Norris said:
1.) Colorado also traded Mats Sundin for Wendel Clark.

2.) The reason why Philly is so rich today is because Comcast owns them. One major reason why Comcast decided to purchase the Flyers was because of Eric Lindros' star potential. Philly is flourishing because of their high salary allowance and I don't think they regret the trade much.

No offense but that isn't very much of an argument against. I'll give you the Sundin point, I forgot to mention that, ( I tried to mention everyone involved in the trades that I listed) but that is a miniscul part of the trade, and there's no reason to say that Comcast wouldn't have eventually bought them, or some other rich owner would have purchased them, especially since they have a storied franchise, good fanbase, and a healthy market. I think they would take that trade back in a second if they could.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:

Philly became a big market team the day that Larry bertuzzi awarded Lindros to the Flyers. Ed Snider had been trying for over a decade to get financing for a new building, and couldn't get it done.

As soon as Lindros was aquired the Flyers were able to pre-sellout all the luxury suites for the new building, which in turn allowed Snider to get the financing needed to privately build the now Wachovia Center.

The avalanche won the deal, but it isn't nearly as lopsided as some make it out to be. The Avs were well on there way to becoming an elite team before the Lindros trade ... and Forsberg wasn't what put them over the top ... it was the Roy deal.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
PapaBear said:

To Colorado: Brian Rolston, NJ's 1st (traded to Boston) - Martin Samuelsson
To NJ: Claude Lemieux, Colorado's 1st - David Hale, Colorado's 2nd - Matt DeMarchi

This trade made the above possible, and eventually won both teams the Cup.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
pjbth said:
Yeah Bill Muckault was the other part of that trade. and i believe the original poster said no steals and this was probabaly one of the worst robberies of the 90s.
No he wasn't. Muckalt was in the Scatchard deal to land Potvin. This was a straight up trade (Peter for Sami).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->