THE TOP 10 BLACK NHL PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like your post.

I must say, I find this kind of thread (which is more about identity politics than biology) a bit uncomfortable. I just don't think we, the disconnected fan, should be applying culturally-loaded identity labels to people not involved in the conversation.

I mean, I get that the thread is well intended and everything, but people should decide for themselves what "race" they are. The public does not decide.

Let's take Dirk Graham, for example. If he said, publicly, "I'm black," then, okay, I guess it's fair enough to call him black. But if he didn't, then I don't think we get to decide it.

Since race doesn't biologically exist, it is really an identity marker and nothing else. So if Patrick Laine announces tomorrow that he's black, then he's black.

The parameters for inclusion in the thread were already laid out in post 31. It's fairly obvious what the vast majority of people mean by "black" in this context, and though the term is imprecise it obviously does carry a primarily ethnic connotation. Dirk Graham is of (relatively recent in the human sense) African descent and thus will be considered to be at least partially black by most people. Patrik Laine presumably is not of African descent (in the last several thousand years anyway) and thus regardless of what he says is not.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
i think i've heard anson carter and kevin weekes say that they prefer to be called caribbean-canadian. that term would apply to quite a few of the other guys in this thread: subban, brathwaite, laracque, and others not mentioned like claude vilgrain, anthony duclair, joel ward (who probably belongs on a top 15 list), the stewarts.

goalies grant fuhr, pokey reddick, fred brathwaite, and joaqin gage (not mentioned here).

ATL+thrashers_evander+kane.jpg

i think the cake still goes to the atlanta thrashers, who at one time had byfuglien, kane, oduya, anthony stewart, and nigel dawes all at the same time, with akim aliu on the farm.
Although it could have been a mere coincidence, Atlanta is a predominantly Black city, so it makes sense from a business standpoint.

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
Dirk Graham is black? Never ever thought that? Is he really or does he indeed have some black great great grandfather and now he is treated as such?

Well of course he can be black... But i never would have though it...

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
9 BLACK HOCKEY PLAYERS WHO WON THE STANLEY CUP

01. 1984: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)
02. 1985: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)
03. 1987: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)
04. 1988: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)
05. 1990: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)
06. 1990: Eldon Reddick (Edmonton Oilers)
07. 2010: Dustin Byfuglien (Chicago Blackhawks)
08. 2013: Ray Emery (Chicago Blackhawks)
09. 2013: Jamal Mayers (Chicago Blackhawks)
10. 2013: Johnny Oduya (Chicago Blackhawks)
11. 2015: Johnny Oduya (Chicago Blackhawks)
12. 2016: Trevor Daley (Pittsburgh Penguins)
13. 2017: Trevor Daley (Pittsburgh Penguins)
14. 2018: Devante Smith-Pelly (Washington Capitals)
15. 2018: Madison Bowey (Washington Capitals)

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
THE TOP 10 BLACK NHL PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME

01. Grant Fuhr
02. Jarome Iginla
03. P.K. Subban
04. Dustin Byfuglien
05. Dirk Graham
06. Tony McKegney
07. Ray Neufeld
08. Anson Carter
09. Mike Grier
10. Johnny Oduya
11. Georges Laraque
12. Eldon "Pokey" Reddick
13. Ray Emery
14. Fred Brathwaite
15. Kevin Weekes

THE TOP 12 BLACK NHL PLAYERS OF ALL-TIME UPDATED

01. Grant Fuhr
02. Jarome Iginla
03. P.K. Subban
04. Dustin Byfuglien
05. Dirk Graham
06. Tony McKegney
07. Anson Carter
08. Mike Grier
09. Wayne Simmonds
10. Evander Kane
11. Joel Ward
12. Johnny Oduya
I never knew Dirk Graham was black. Seriously. I guess we don't differentiate biracial, eh?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Fuhr, and we know for sure Iginla will be in the HHOF as early as 2020 because he is a lock as a first ballot I would think.

Other than that, this is it. O'Ree is in from a builder's standpoint. As a player your next best chance comes in the form of Subban, Seth Jones. Evander Kane has not had anything that resembles a HHOF career. I am not a big fan (anymore) of Subban getting into the HHOF because he has taken such a sharp decline and he just won't fit the standards of a HHOF defenseman when his career comes to a close at this rate. Jones it is hard to say still too early.

I guess we'll also have to see how the career of potential #2 overall pick in 2020 Quinton Byfield goes as well.

So here is the question, is Fuhr ahead of Iginla all-time? I am going to say yes, but do others disagree?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Fuhr, and we know for sure Iginla will be in the HHOF as early as 2020 because he is a lock as a first ballot I would think.

Other than that, this is it. O'Ree is in from a builder's standpoint. As a player your next best chance comes in the form of Subban, Seth Jones. Evander Kane has not had anything that resembles a HHOF career. I am not a big fan (anymore) of Subban getting into the HHOF because he has taken such a sharp decline and he just won't fit the standards of a HHOF defenseman when his career comes to a close at this rate. Jones it is hard to say still too early.

I guess we'll also have to see how the career of potential #2 overall pick in 2020 Quinton Byfield goes as well.

So here is the question, is Fuhr ahead of Iginla all-time? I am going to say yes, but do others disagree?

I think most people in this section disagree. Jarome Iginla was in the conversation for the final slots of the top 100 project. Grant Fuhr was not even close to that conversation.

Reactions: Beau Knows

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Is there a reason the Blues and Oilers seem to have more black players than anyone else? Always seemed that way to me at least.

Fuhr, Salvador, Reeves, Mayers, Carter, Grier, Brathwaite, Stewart, Brown, Laraque, Nurse, Peckham.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Is there a reason the Blues and Oilers seem to have more black players than anyone else? Always seemed that way to me at least.

Fuhr, Salvador, Reeves, Mayers, Carter, Grier, Brathwaite, Stewart, Brown, Laraque, Nurse, Peckham.

Reddick, McKegney

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think most people in this section disagree. Jarome Iginla was in the conversation for the final slots of the top 100 project. Grant Fuhr was not even close to that conversation.

It's interesting, because I think Iginla would finish considerably higher in an all-time ranking, however, most seem content to rank Fuhr as the #1 black player of all-time

I think it's because fans view Fuhr as the 1st black superstar, they just automatically see him as the #1 black superstar as well

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

I have always been pretty generous (I guess?) with rating Fuhr. Not that Iginla wasn't a great player of course. Maybe I rank Fuhr higher than others do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->