The Tomas Plekanec Thread

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I keep seeing "give it time", "it's only been 'x' weeks"... so what's the threshold by which we can start criticizing his play? When our season is over?

Usually you like to see a glimmer of something out there, of potential impact. Even during a bad game, a really good defensive play or a nice pass or even a shot which forces a goalie into a difficult save. I've seen nothing. No glimmers. A complete passenger out there. Dom Moore honestly was more noticeable.

Not a fan of this trade. Hope he proves me wrong.
What did we acquire him for? The playoffs. If he is not we he was cracked up to be in the playoffs, criticize away.

But to pass judgement on a guy after a handful of games, when the first 4 were on the road, the first of which the day after the trade, and you haven't even had a chance to pack your **** up, or move can be a bit unnerving, especially when you have spent like 15 years in 1 organization. There is a reason why they say moving is the 2nd biggest stressor behind a death to someone you care about. The guy is human not a robot. Give him a chance to get settled in Toronto and learn the new system and we will know what we have got.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I keep seeing "give it time", "it's only been 'x' weeks"... so what's the threshold by which we can start criticizing his play? When our season is over?

Usually you like to see a glimmer of something out there, of potential impact. Even during a bad game, a really good defensive play or a nice pass or even a shot which forces a goalie into a difficult save. I've seen nothing. No glimmers. A complete passenger out there. Dom Moore honestly was more noticeable.

Can't assess a rental until it's the playoffs.

The remaining regular season games are nothing more than a way to learn the system, sync with your linemates, and adjust to the city.

Reactions: Once and iSophagus

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

He's played 5 games...

Reactions: iSophagus

Heritage

Jan 17, 2016
Halifax
He played well last night.

It takes time to adjust to a new team and new systems.

I am not rushing to judgement on this trade

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
We are seeeing and getting and witnessing and living out , what Turtle Hab has been , was , is and will be yesterday , today and tomorrow!
I’m not surprised , I won’t be surprised when one or two games here and there he delivers a meh game or a good game or once in a while a better shift here and there !!
But Reallyyyyyyy folks , come on,
Let’s be totally honest with ourselves without our beautiful big blue and white shades on !!!
Anyone that is a true in the gut and experienced Leafer !
Did u expect any different from him or this trade ?
From what he brings to the party ?
What he shows ?
What he’s done on a really really awful team in those Santa uniforms

( On a more fun note and nothing to do about honest sports evaluation
I hate those red c shaped unfortunates hiding behind a stellar goaltender and I certainly don’t want their 3 rd and 4th line scraps !!!)

He is what he is
Over priced , past date , average , soft , mentally weak , player !

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
Gooo F€£¥in LEAF Go !!!!

Last edited:

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I liked his game last night too. Looks good on the pk with kapanen. He plays a pretty complete game. Solid defensively. Physical. He’s kinda like bozack but the opposite lol. Both good on the draw.. both vets. One more offensive minded, and one more defensive minded.

If chemistry continues to build I could see some good offense materialize from that fourth line with kap and leivo though too.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I will wait till after 2 games have been played in the 1st round of playoffs before saying anything. He has been alright on PK and that's not a bad thing to build on.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Much better game from Plekanec last night. I hope he keeps getting better.
Habs fans bandwagonning for any Canadian team to bring back the cup, Plekanec will bring this in 80-90% of the games. He is solid defensively, no doubt about that, and you can expect him to chip in some points here and there but your real expectations would be, can he shut down a top line when he's assigned to ? Yes, he can do it. Hopefully he helps you guys bring the cup back in Canada, as painful as it is for me to say it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Habs fans bandwagonning for any Canadian team to bring back the cup, Plekanec will bring this in 80-90% of the games. He is solid defensively, no doubt about that, and you can expect him to chip in some points here and there but your real expectations would be, can he shut down a top line when he's assigned to ? Yes, he can do it. Hopefully he helps you guys bring the cup back in Canada, as painful as it is for me to say it.
The Leafs aren't and would never use Plekanec to "shut down" top lines because that would mean he'd have to play 16+ mins a game (like he was in Montreal) and that also means less icetime for Matthews, Kadri and Bozak.

Leaf fans, any offense you get from Plekanec...consider it a bonus, just don't expect any.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Marchand was asked in an interview which opposing player he didn't like the most and after initially saying there was no one he ranted a bit about hating Plekanec.
The Leafs have known for quite a while that they are very likely going to play Boston in the first round of the playoffs and knowing this Lou went out and not only filled the need for a better 4th line center who can kill penalties but also one who may be in the head of one of the stars of the team you will be trying to get past in the first round.
It remains to be seen if Plekanec can get Marchand off his game, hopefully goaded into taking some stupid penalties, but if he can it may be the difference maker in what looks to be a very close playoff series.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What choice did Lou have? Babcock wanted more. TB and Boston armed themselves and one never knows. We might beat Boston who paid far more.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Not overly impressed so far, he's been pretty meh.

But you can only really gauge this move once Matthews is back.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Leafs aren't and would never use Plekanec to "shut down" top lines because that would mean he'd have to play 16+ mins a game (like he was in Montreal) and that also means less icetime for Matthews, Kadri and Bozak.

Leaf fans, any offense you get from Plekanec...consider it a bonus, just don't expect any.

Sometimes you don't have a choice, that's the reason for depth. You want the least exposure to risk that you can get and that's why we spent a 2nd on him.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't think anyone thought Plekanec is here for offense anymore than Boyle was. Lou picked up how many 2nd rounders in the last 3 years? They believe in a message of at least trying to give the team a chance. But let's face it, TB and Boston went all in. We have picks in every round and Babcock wants depth at C. We were dreaming of a top 4 Dman and then we got a rental 4C again. Minimal payment for what was left on market. Lou may know the Leafs aren't winning the cup this year but he may not speak it.

This gets way more interesting if Toronto beats Boston.

"Who is the one player you hate playing against? " Marchand " No one! Well.. I hate Plekanec."

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What choice did Lou have? Babcock wanted more. TB and Boston armed themselves and one never knows. We might beat Boston who paid far more.

Well, they could have just rode Moore out the rest of the season into the playoffs, yeah Babcock doesn’t seem to be much of a fan, but he seemed to respond better once he got more skilled wingers.

On paper Plekanec is a clear upgrade - but so far he’s looked shakey. I understand why they made the trade, but imo too soon to say if it was the right move or not.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Don't get me wrong guys if we lose first round to Boston say, this one looks a little weak. But, one never knows and he also has to be able to show Lou tried to help Babcock and the team. The upside reward outweighs the chance that 2nd rounder isn't something we don't already have. When you keep all 3 UFA's you want win a round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad