The Tomas Plekanec Thread

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
I know everyone here is trying to be positive , and that’s cool. Also I totally understand that all organizations make bad moves from time to time . We as leaf fans unfortunately still are not out of the “ yikes “ mode from years of crap in many different ways be it management, bad trades , bad picks , great player with bad supporting cast , good supporting cast no star , bad goaltending , on and on you all get it ( over 50 years for me )
In the end and even with turtle Hab I hope we go all the way , but I will stand by this .......
He wasn’t a very good player other than a couple of years for them and we now get him at the end of a meh career in the league ( let’s be honest )
Now I think this is the most promising leafs team ive seen in a long long long time with great pieces and great ownership and management .
But sorry to say , this was a bad bad acquisition
No ifs ands or buds about it !!!
I hope we make the right decisions if needed when we have to sit him at some point and not get bull headed about it .
I can’t believe that I’m saying this but Moore is even better than him
It’s too bad , but I gotta call it like I sees it
GO F€%€£en Leafs GO

Reactions: Duffman955

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The way he left Montreal doesn't lead me to believe he's ready to step up to the challenge mentally, even if he has anything left physically. Looked homesick, heartbroken and ready for the summer to reset things. Not really expecting much out of this deal at the moment. Will need our real deadline acquisition (Matthews) to put things back in order.
If anything, he's had a problem the first few games with trying too hard. He's been overly aggressive, took two unnecessary penalties in the first game due to this and could have had a boarding in the last game for the same reason. His issue so far more than anything else has been positioning at even strength and penalty kill, and for someone who has had positioning as his forte an entire career, that is most likely due to system change.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We overpayed. Wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. Habs win that going away. Wouldn't give a 2nd for Glendening who would at least be a long term 4C solution.
We've traded consecutive 2nd round picks and still haven't addressed a need.
Soon to be out:
30 goal scorer.
2nd round pick.
3C
4C
Utility PK player, trusted up and down the lineup.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kerby Rychel (piece of Kessel trade) + 2nd round pick (equivalent of Travis Dermott value) + Rinat Valiev for Plekanec.

The 2nd round pick for Brian Boyle previous TD >>> Plekanec in cost in return.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kerby Rychel (piece of Kessel trade) + 2nd round pick (equivalent of Travis Dermott value) + Rinat Valiev for Plekanec.

The 2nd round pick for Brian Boyle previous TD >>> Plekanec in cost in return.

In fairness you're looking at an early 2nd rounder compared to a later second rounder so the value isn't quite the same.

I do agree that trading these 2nd's doesn't make me particularly happy for rental 4th line centres though. The Leafs really need to find a 4th line centre in the off-season that will be good enough for the whole year, negating the need for a deadline trade next season

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
TSN Overdrive yesterday.

Ray Ferraro said: "Plekanec - felt like a trade to make a trade."

He's got to have his biggest game tonight. So far he hasn't impressed anyone.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We overpayed. Wasn't worth a 2nd round pick. Habs win that going away. Wouldn't give a 2nd for Glendening who would at least be a long term 4C solution.
We've traded consecutive 2nd round picks and still haven't addressed a need.
Soon to be out:
30 goal scorer.
2nd round pick.
3C
4C
Utility PK player, trusted up and down the lineup.

I'm wondering if they circle back to Glendening in the off-season

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yup. if he were one of the young guys, he'd be benched. I think he'll be ok though. But just ok

As long as he can get it together for the playoffs that all I really care about.

Also keeping mind the Leafs haven't had Matthews' in the line up since they made the trade, so the lines are out of sorts a little. Once Matthews' returns that should hopefully settle things for everyone.

Reactions: Liminality

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm wondering if they circle back to Glendening in the off-season

It's possible, depending on asking price and how we feel about internal options. I'm a bit more optimistic about Aaltonen's chances though since we opted to make the Plekanec trade instead of a trade for Glendening. Not sure whether re-signing Plekanec will present itself as a viable choice as well.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
We got him for the playoffs. I won't evaluate the trade until then. As for how he is fitting in, I expect tonight to be a glimpse into his effectiveness going forward. He's had a few practices and some downtime to absorb new systems and linemates. Even vets need time to adjust, I hope to see him play a part in shutting down a pretty devestating offence tonight. Both him and Kadri should get healthy doses of Crosby and Malkin. Hoping for the best, but not expecting it yet.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's possible, depending on asking price and how we feel about internal options. I'm a bit more optimistic about Aaltonen's chances though since we opted to make the Plekanec trade instead of a trade for Glendening. Not sure whether re-signing Plekanec will present itself as a viable choice as well.

I like Aaltonen. I haven't seen him play too much in the AHL, but I get a feeling he would be a good 3rd line C.

Our 4th line C should have a more of a defensive / shutdown skillset.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I like Aaltonen. I haven't seen him play too much in the AHL, but I get a feeling he would be a good 3rd line C.

Our 4th line C should have a more of a defensive / shutdown skillset.

That's a fair point. I would just wonder if he's ready to jump into a 3C role instead of starting off in a lesser role and working his way up to that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While the trade did seem to make sense - the Leas did need a depth centre, I think this may end up as yet another example of why smart teams should only sell at the TDL
Edit: typo

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
While the trade did seem to make sense - the Leasbdod meee a depth centre, I think this may end up as yet another example of why smart teams should only sell at the TDL.

Yeah buying at the deadline has worked out terribly for the Kings and Pens.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I compare it to the George Strombolopolous situation

Is George an excellent broadcaster? Yes
Does he belong on Hockey Night In Canada? No

Is Plekanec and excellent player? Yes
Does he belong on the Leafs? No

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
He looks a lot better tonight. The week off would have been good for him. He was on the road since being traded and was living in limbo with all his stuff still in MTL. He probably feels a little more settled.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I agree with the person who said that positioning and defensive play is Pleks forte. Seeing as how he is struggling with that ATM, it would imply its a systems change and it takes time to go from one system to another.

Tonights game he played really really well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Plekanec looked really good last night, despite his analytics not really reflecting that.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen

That is ridiculously deep. Ideally, Leivo/Komarov would go on a similar rotation as Polak/Carrick but Leo has played well recently, so I doubt that.

He's a guy that allows us to have a 4th line we don't need to cringe if they are on against Bergeron, Krejci, Crosby, Stamkos etc

In fact, I'd almost argue the Bozak line would be our 4th line in terms of importance.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I keep seeing "give it time", "it's only been 'x' weeks"... so what's the threshold by which we can start criticizing his play? When our season is over?

Usually you like to see a glimmer of something out there, of potential impact. Even during a bad game, a really good defensive play or a nice pass or even a shot which forces a goalie into a difficult save. I've seen nothing. No glimmers. A complete passenger out there. Dom Moore honestly was more noticeable.

Not a fan of this trade. Hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: IamruKusleaf

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I keep seeing "give it time", "it's only been 'x' weeks"... so what's the threshold by which we can start criticizing his play? When our season is over?

Usually you like to see a glimmer of something out there, of potential impact. Even during a bad game, a really good defensive play or a nice pass or even a shot which forces a goalie into a difficult save. I've seen nothing. No glimmers. A complete passenger out there. Dom Moore honestly was more noticeable.

I think it’s fair to be critical now, but I also think it’s true that some players need 15-20 games to adjust to new linemates and coaching systems, and a new overall living situation

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

His make or break moment will come in the impending Bruins playoff series. He's played well against Bergeron before in the playoffs, let's hope to god he can put up even half the performance he has against him in the past.

Funny enough, he's been really bad in the playoffs against teams who aren't the Bruins.

Reactions: Menzinger

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Part of it is the circumstances he started with. He played a back to back in his 1st and 2nd full days as a Leaf, then had one practice before playing an outdoor game.

So really it's been two games where he's had actual practice.

So it is each to their own in terms of what they want to give. Around here it's constant instant analysis, almost shift by shift.

I'm sure management isn't really worried until Game 1 of the playoffs, and these games are about Plekanec getting used to teammates, linemates, and Babs systems. He already is looking good on the PK (that Plekanec-Kappy combo looks awesome), and the Leivo-Plekanec-Kapanen line was solid last night, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad