The Tomas Plekanec Thread

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Give it a little more time. He still hasn’t had much time to acclimatize to the team, joining right when we had a back to back, and then the whole team looked bad in his third game.

I’ll reserve judgment, but if he’s not at least as effective as Boyle was last year then it’s a bad trade.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Gets traded here, the very next day he has to play Tampa Bay and then play Florida the next day. So his 1st 3 days with the team he has to play in a back to back with barely any practice time with the team. Also Matthews goes down with an injury so he's forced to do more than expected with very little practice time. In that same week we have an outdoor game that are always horrible. After all this we have people already saying the trade was a loss and really dumb. Are we for real here?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Yea, he's been not very good so far but I think he needs to get 'home' get into the routine. I mean, he was brought in for the playoffs in reality. He should be up to speed by then.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's a known quantity, give him a chance to settle in, this isn't some rookie audition. He will be invaluable in the playoffs, especially against Boston. He's better than Moore and has been his entire career :)

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Early results haven’t been good, but let’s remember that he was brought in to be our 4C. He’s currently being asked to fill a bigger role, and it’s not working. I’d like to see how he does after Matthews comes back, and Plekanec is slotted where he should be.

We’re seeing the effects of having players slotted higher than they should be right now with other players. I think it’s affecting guys like Nylander and Kadri as well. Having Matthews in the lineup puts them in their ideal roles, as it would Plekanec.

I’m not saying I see everything I had hoped for in him, but I feel it’s inaccurate to assess his value to the team just yet.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Time. If he hasn't picked up his game in a couple of weeks then get worried.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Gets traded here, the very next day he has to play Tampa Bay and then play Florida the next day. So his 1st 3 days with the team he has to play in a back to back with barely any practice time with the team. Also Matthews goes down with an injury so he's forced to do more than expected with very little practice time. In that same week we have an outdoor game that are always horrible. After all this we have people already saying the trade was a loss and really dumb. Are we for real here?

But but but Plekanec is a NHLer. He should know how to play C because he's not age 18. He should know systems because he has to play them, and defend against them. At this point in his career it should be a 1 game adjustment and not 4.

This is the first time I am going to be critical of Babs. I think he is playing it way too safe by putting Plekanec high up in the top 6. Other than Andersen's stellar play, this team needs to win games with offence. Aaltonen should be playing with Nylander and Hyman. He's much better suited.

Plekanec is fine playing 4th line C. He can be as slow skating/dump and chase as he likes.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I have not been impressed.

However, it's not fair to judge him until he is put into the role he was brought for. Its hard to Judge a guy who you brought in to play on the 4th line, based on how he's doing in Matthews spot on the top line.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I have not been impressed.

However, it's not fair to judge him until he is put into the role he was brought for. Its hard to Judge a guy who you brought in to play on the 4th line, based on how he's doing in Matthews spot on the top line.

Yeah, looks cooked to me. Agreed on giving him time in the proper role to make final judgement, but yikes.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Much better tonight. As long as he's playing the 4th line I'm happy.

Even better if he can chip in with points.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Was okay today.

Probably could have been better on the dot (38%). But he was averaging 57% in the previous three games.

member 262271

I feel bad for him in a way, 'cause coming from the Habs there was never anyway I'd give him a fair evaluation. Good thing I'm not with the Leafs at any capacity. :laugh:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I understand it is a gamble. Leafs acquired a player who didn't play a meaningful game for a few months. If he don't turn the switch back on in the next few games, I don't believe he can do it in the playoff :popcorn:

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not that you need a Habs fan opinion...but I'll give it to you anyway....;) It makes perfect sense for Plekanec to not be up too par right now. He has been playing with my team, an abysmal and bad team that hasn't been in a hunt for anything for quite so long now this year. He was on the automatic pilot waiting for the season to end. Now...he is being asked to upgrade his play by a ton even if it's to play on a 4th line. 4th line for Toronto with your young, speedy and talented team still mean that he has to follow the pace. There was no pace to follow in Montreal. He will never put a lot of points on the table. But you will be satisfied with him winning faceoffs and real soon shutting down the opposition and playing great PK. That's all you should be expecting. He scores or has a great assist, everything that resembles that is a bonus.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not that you need a Habs fan opinion...but I'll give it to you anyway....;) It makes perfect sense for Plekanec to not be up too par right now. He has been playing with my team, an abysmal and bad team that hasn't been in a hunt for anything for quite so long now this year. He was on the automatic pilot waiting for the season to end. Now...he is being asked to upgrade his play by a ton even if it's to play on a 4th line. 4th line for Toronto with your young, speedy and talented team still mean that he has to follow the pace. There was no pace to follow in Montreal. He will never put a lot of points on the table. But you will be satisfied with him winning faceoffs and real soon shutting down the opposition and playing great PK. That's all you should be expecting. He scores or has a great assist, everything that resembles that is a bonus.

The way he left Montreal doesn't lead me to believe he's ready to step up to the challenge mentally, even if he has anything left physically. Looked homesick, heartbroken and ready for the summer to reset things. Not really expecting much out of this deal at the moment. Will need our real deadline acquisition (Matthews) to put things back in order.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The way he left Montreal doesn't lead me to believe he's ready to step up to the challenge mentally, even if he has anything left physically. Looked homesick, heartbroken and ready for the summer to reset things. Not really expecting much out of this deal at the moment. Will need our real deadline acquisition (Matthews) to put things back in order.
I really hope he's not such a mentally fragile loser. These playoffs might be his last chance to achieve something and I hope he realizes that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad