The Tomas Plekanec Thread

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Glad to see Plex get a chance with a properly built team! For years the Habs had him do the heavy work so the likes of Desharnais Danault and Drouin could focus on the offence which they never delivered lol. Leafs made a good addition, he's smart, skilled and versitile.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Just what I see man. He's sucks the life out of what ever line he is on, ask any Habs fan.

Well of course, it's easier to scapegoat the older C that's been holding the roof from falling in on that team than look critically at any of their darlings.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well of course, it's easier to scapegoat the older C that's been holding the roof from falling in on that team than look critically at any of their darlings.

Plec has been the Phaneuf of Hab players for a LONG time.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
As a guy who lives in Montreal, I have seen Plek play a ton. You'll see his full value when we are playing in Boston in the playoffs, and can't do the line matching. Wether he plays against Bergeron or Krejci, it doesn't matter, he can do the job. Those dudes hate playing against him :)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Lots of interest in how he performs but this is a short paragraph in his career. I don’t think he will be here long term once the playoffs end.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As a guy who lives in Montreal, I have seen Plek play a ton. You'll see his full value when we are playing in Boston in the playoffs, and can't do the line matching. Wether he plays against Bergeron or Krejci, it doesn't matter, he can do the job. Those dudes hate playing against him :)

Yeah, the Boston guys have a ton of respect for him. He plays them well.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I doubt we re sign him. But I wouldn’t be against it at all if we went with a an actual checking line and let Kadri be a 2 c.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I doubt we re sign him. But I wouldn’t be against it at all if we went with a an actual checking line and let Kadri be a 2 c.

I think that he's looking at the free agent market out there and the lack of quality NHL centres about to hit the market and thinking that he might actually cash in. And I'm not sure he would be wrong?

Outside of JT, there's a handful of some 30 something centres hoping to hold on for another gig. Guys like Sedin, Thornton, Stastny, Filpulla, Stajan.

I would hand out a 1 year deal to Plekanec at the most. But I truly believe he's heading back to Montreal on a 2 year deal.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think that he's looking at the free agent market out there and the lack of quality NHL centres about to hit the market and thinking that he might actually cash in. And I'm not sure he would be wrong?

Outside of JT, there's a handful of some 30 something centres hoping to hold on for another gig. Guys like Sedin, Thornton, Stastny, Filpulla, Stajan.

I would hand out a 1 year deal to Plekanec at the most. But I truly believe he's heading back to Montreal on a 2 year deal.

Wouldn’t surprise me. I wonder if we could steal stats from Winnipeg? My first non jt choice is to go for a winger and let nylander take the sheltered offensive c role and sign like a jvr or kovy.

But that stats would work too

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
We got 2 2nd rounders for Polak, and karma now could bite us on Plek..Disappointed as the pick was not even conditional. I think i would rather trade for Luke from the wings even the price is the same than a rental

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
We got 2 2nd rounders for Polak, and karma now could bite us on Plek..Disappointed as the pick was not even conditional. I think i would rather trade for Luke from the wings even the price is the same than a rental
Who is Luke? I have no idea and I'm at a loss.
v

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So far so bad on this trade.

Buyers remorse the best way to describe 1st impressions made worse by trying to accept a lifelong Had into the fold as one of the good guys.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We won't need to trade for Glendenning in the summer with the Goat or Aaltonen ready to step in.
I agree it's not a good move, just answering who he was talking about.

Goat isn't an option though IMO, and k wish we would have given Aaltonen a look before the deadline.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Small sample size. I'd give him a few more games before making a judgement. Even then, maybe him shutting down Marchand in the playoffs will be worth the price paid? Only time will tell.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am still pretty ambivalent about this trade (and not an upgrade on D). He's actually been given more of a chance to succeed because of Matthews' injury and playing with Nylander.

Umm...he does win faceoffs I guess.

He more now looks like a shadow of himself. Kind of weak when it comes to the offensive aspects (unlike Boyle).

He has to be better even by 4th line / defensive / role playing standards.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
It was a lot to give up at the time especially with the strength of the draft, but the playoffs will be where the trade is a success or a fail. 2nds are valuable, was this our year? At a minimum he ought to be invaluable in the playoffs or it'll be quite bad.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
This was a move for the playoffs, especially given we are most likely to face Boston. Marchand hates him, and he historically has played Boston well. If disrupts their top line, and helps keep them off the scoresheet, and it contributes to a series win, the trade was worth it, despite what he does the remainder of the regular season. It is one of those deals that was made for the playoffs and I am going to reserve judgement on it until they are done.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
So far, not good - he’s been worse than Moore, and based on his play so far, should arguably sit once Matthews is back. However, that’s likely still a ways off, and he could easily turn it around. Hope he does! Would be great to have a high end 4C for the playoffs.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So far so bad on this trade.

Buyers remorse the best way to describe 1st impressions made worse by trying to accept a lifelong Had into the fold as one of the good guys.

Id like to see him in the playoffs against Boston first. He plays them and Crosby well. Regular season is just training for the playoffs. Not a good start, but everyone needs to get their heads out of their asses right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->