The Tomas Plekanec Thread

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I think the Habs should re-sign Pleky and when the trade deadline comes by and Habs are out of the playoff picture yet again - we'll trade him back to you guys for another 2nd and some prospects.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I dont actually know but didnt Lou just get fired once already? Me thinks not getting anything for JVR and giving a 2nd to Montreal didn't help the outcome.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I dont actually know but didnt Lou just get fired once already? Me thinks not getting anything for JVR and giving a 2nd to Montreal didn't help the outcome.

I'm guessing the more analytical arm of the Leafs management team probably saw the In's and Out's of the Boyle and Plekanec trades and didn't see very much in the way of long term value over the past two seasons. Those picks represent anything from a Maxime Comtois to a Brandon Carlo, Travis Dermott, Sebastian Aho, plus the own rentals that the Leafs kept in Bozak and JVR, and you're basically looking at an extra draft class that they missed out on in their stockpiling/rebuilding.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he was a large part of why we made game 7, I'm very sad.

We should all be. Did you see the asset price of that 7 games? We paid, we mortgaged and we don't have the replacements ready yet which is the big no no.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
No, as per the Shanaplan, his G.M. contract was not renewed. He has, for now, been assigned to a senior advisor role.

Wow. This has been the worst offseason for spiteful/bitter leaf fans. I think many weren't realistic about our playoff chances. 105 point season doesn't always mean you're going to go deep in the playoffs.

Reactions: pulfordfan

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Not that the Leafs would want him back but I do agree, the Habs will be sellers next deadline.

Why?

A healthy season from Weber would be huge for them. Price is also still elite. Not to mention UFA hasn’t even arrived. Or the draft...

Even without any retooling if the roster they’re capable of beating any team league-wide.

The NHL is so parity driven that I can’t help but laugh at assumptions like that.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We should all be. Did you see the asset price of that 7 games? We paid, we mortgaged and we don't have the replacements ready yet which is the big no no.

Pleckanec was the reason we got to a game seven, and it was by misuing him early in the series (not to mention playing useless Komarov over useful Johnsson) that was part of the reason we didn't make it to rnd two. IE we lost because of the classic Leafs coaching practice of choosing senority over all else.

And we paid a lot less than other teams that didn't even get as far as we did (Hi Calgary, New Jersey, etc!). We morgaged a doghouse at best. Big deal. We don't have replacements for who? 4th line center? We have 3 potential that will provide better than what we had this year, and none of them are 35+ in age. Three one way forwards (2 no defense, 1 no offense)? We have plenty of replacements ready to go. A second round draft pick and a couple AHLers who aren't good enough to play on a playoff team is a pittance. We have 10+ million in capspace to replace that. Las Vegas bought a 3rd round pick for about $2.5 million in cap space. Imagine what $10 million can buy.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That ultimately, he was a good pickup.

Can't argue that, coach didn't use him right and coaching lost us that series imho. For what coaching didn't cause in the way of issues, the players surely didn't buy in and compete hard enough either.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Can't argue that, coach didn't use him right and coaching lost us that series imho. For what coaching didn't cause in the way of issues, the players surely didn't buy in and compete hard enough either.

As "Nazem Kadri's #1 Fan", you should think long and hard about who cost us that series.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As "Nazem Kadri's #1 Fan", you should think long and hard about who cost us that series.

Hey he laid an egg, it was terrible and stupid but it forced the eventual change to Pleks on Bergeron. If not, Mikey boy looked poised to ride it out for better or worse anyways. He made very few changes to structure and relied on our compete to overcome his flawed approach.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Hey he laid an egg, it was terrible and stupid but it forced the eventual change to Pleks on Bergeron. If not, Mikey boy looked poised to ride it out for better or worse anyways. He made very few changes to structure and relied on our compete to overcome his flawed approach.

Kadri? JvR? Matthews? Nylander?

4 of our top 5 best forwards were completely useless. Our only offence came from Marner, Kapanen, Hyman and Marleau.

Blame the coach if you want, but he did nothing glaringly wrong. The players are to blame, they shrunk under pressure.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

4 of our top 5 best forwards were completely useless. Our only offence came from Marner, Kapanen, Hyman and Marleau.

Blame the coach if you want, but he did nothing glaringly wrong. The players are to blame, they shrunk under pressure.

The most useless thing was our strategy in our own end. We watched them pass the puck around and pick holes. We didn't pressure and gave them, no offered up zone time for free and gave them momentum. The players played defensively with structure (when not in panic mode) and did their jobs as instructed to my eye. Only when we opened up and started pressuring and hitting did we ever stand a chance and from the looks of it those periods where we did that looked organic. Perhaps the Matthews drama has to do with identifying similar issues and Mike's refusal to stop leaning on players who were literally crapping the bed, Jake Gardiner game 7 for instance.

That series was winnable.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Which is all the more shame if Plekanec is/was your best center. He's gone.
The top 5 goal scorers in the series:
Marleau (old man Marleau people want to dump by year 3)
JVR goodbye
Marner
Plekanec goodbye
Bozak goodbye

And the main focus is Plekanec was a good pickup? Excellent. Time to refocus.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The most useless thing was our strategy in our own end. We watched them pass the puck around and pick holes. We didn't pressure and gave them, no offered up zone time for free and gave them momentum. The players played defensively with structure (when not in panic mode) and did their jobs as instructed to my eye. Only when we opened up and started pressuring and hitting did we ever stand a chance and from the looks of it those periods where we did that looked organic. Perhaps the Matthews drama has to do with identifying similar issues and Mike's refusal to stop leaning on players who were literally crapping the bed, Jake Gardiner game 7 for instance.

That series was winnable.

I guess we just have differing opinions on how much a coach influences a game, then.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Bergeron had eight points in six games while playing hurt. How many points would he have got if Plekanec didn't match up extremely well against him?

How many did he get against Plekanec ? The first two games he wasn't leading that match up line. Game 3 and onward how many points did Bergeron have?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad