The Tomas Plekanec Thread

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I find Moore has tunnel vision, rarely did I ever see him find Kappy when Kappy was in a good position. He just tries to show off his speed and failed 'spinoramas'. He isn't bad on the draw though.

I think Pleks adds more stability on that line..similar to what Boyle did, but maybe a bit more offensive production. We will see the value of this trade in the post-season.

That is exactly the descriptor I could not find. Tunnel vision, precisely this and also with the spinorama junk as well. Well put.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don't really believe in FO% mattering a lot. There really are only a couple situations where it does matter and one of them is the PK. The other is in the defensive zone in general. +/- 3 @ 50% matter so little in all honesty. Say the differential is 6%, there are other factors like, is that C better at taking draws in his own end? under pressure etc. Convert it out and say the player takes 300 defensive zone FO's. It means he would win 18 more draws if 53% vs. a guy that was 47%. How often do people score after winning a draw in the offensive zone? 5% of the time? 5 in 100 chance 18 times per season?

It's just doesn't really matter very much and maybe leads to 1 goal against or perhaps 2 per season that wouldn't go in otherwise but, then you could argue if the player was 3% worse on draws but superior defensively in general, maybe it doesn't matter whatsoever.

Basically, if the guy gets 50% and is a good player defensively in all situations, you're gold.

It the cumulative effect of many things that leads to bigger things, If I told you if you did 3 things really well in your own end you could prevent 50 more goals per year, would you spend time on learning how to to do those things well?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It can take as many as 15+ games to find chemistry with line mates and adjust to a new team’s systems.

What matters will be his play opening night of the playoffs

True, but he is also playing for a contract. I expect that if he hasn't fallen off completely he'll ramp up his play before then.

Reactions: Menzinger

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Not a great start.

Keep an eye on this thread.

He needs to be a lot better.
It was his first game in a new system.
He is not being set up to succeed given usage.
He was literally acquired the day before and had to fly in for an away game against a top team without even have a chance to learn the system.
Other than the penalties he did pretty well considering.
Perhaps get a little greater sample size than a single away game the day after said player was traded before creating a thread to carve him up and say he needs to be better.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He'll provide the stability to the 4C spot that we've lacked at times this season. He also brings playoff experience, and it should be beneficial to have a full-time C consistently on the PK.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His entire career as a maple leafs thus far has been underwhelming. I mean he was ok in all the games he's played but I expected more of a presence at some point during his stay here.
:facepalm:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It was his first game in a new system.
He is not being set up to succeed given usage.
He was literally acquired the day before and had to fly in for an away game against a top team without even have a chance to learn the system.
Other than the penalties he did pretty well considering.
Perhaps get a little greater sample size than a single away game the day after said player was traded before creating a thread to carve him up and say he needs to be better.

I don't think anyone here is unfair.

No carving so far.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It the cumulative effect of many things that leads to bigger things, If I told you if you did 3 things really well in your own end you could prevent 50 more goals per year, would you spend time on learning how to to do those things well?

Exactly, thats why I said just be a 50% guy and solid defensively. It's better than shaky defensively and 53% at the dot.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You can see that he clearly is more talented that Moore .. I like the little bit of grit in his game too.

Love that he pisses Marchand off so much :laugh: I wanna see what the looks like in a 7 game series

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
You can see that he clearly is more talented that Moore .. I like the little bit of grit in his game too.

Love that he pisses Marchand off so much :laugh: I wanna see what the looks like in a 7 game series
Marchand is a dirty rat! Whoever the Boozers play in 1st round hope they get spanked!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hyman suffers from the same disorder.

Yes he does but he is so focused on getting the puck it's good. He is like a Pit bull and that's a good thing when used with Matthews. Saves a lot of wear on AM34.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Some people are frustrated/disappointed we didn't address our need on D...Pleks will get unnecessary hate for that unfortunately.

Yep he's going to be the target of so much projection. I'm really looking forward to when he has a decent game and the same group of posters start insisting he replace Bozak, some of them already started last night!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->