The Tomas Plekanec Thread

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Don't get me wrong though. Of course I'm happy with the win. I just feel conflicted about Plekanec finally showing up in game 3 of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
It was the first time pretty much any Leaf besides Hyman, Marner or Rielly showed up so far this series.

Also, the purpose of having JVR and Bozak on the 4th line wouldn't be to have them play as a checking line - Marelau/Plekanec/Marner would get the match-up against Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak at home, and all 3 other lines would be used as scoring lines.

Reactions: White Shadow

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
If we're at home against Boston yes, but if we are away I wouldn't want that line together. (Kadri's return will be for an away game 5, home game 6 and away game 7).

At home:
Marleau-Plekanec-Marner/Kapanen (Because of the weird Plekanec-Bergeron/Marchand thing)
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner/Kapanen (Can also use this line as a matchup)

Away:
Marleau-Kadri-Marner (Put your best offensive guys together because Boston will match Bergeron line against the Matthews line)
Johnsson-Plekanec-Kapanen
This is why I don't lose any sleep over lines -- I leave it up to the hockey pros and sideline geniuses, I highly doubt they're not trying to win every night.

Reactions: Beaumaris

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The order someone posts them on a message board, doesn't determine their roles in games.

This idea that we must define who is first line, second line, and therefore what they do in a game, and the role they play is outdated. It's four lines of hockey players, and they'll go out and play the game. Obviously Bozak isn't the matchup line.

Totally agreed, it's why I said earlier don't call in the 4th line. It just starts off yet again an argument that finally seemed to be dead.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
The order someone posts them on a message board, doesn't determine their roles in games.

This idea that we must define who is first line, second line, and therefore what they do in a game, and the role they play is outdated. It's four lines of hockey players, and they'll go out and play the game. Obviously Bozak isn't the matchup line.

yup, some folks are still sick with Burkie's Islanders love. The playoffs have been about matchups for , geez, ever? Is Hyman a first line left winger? No but he is effective where he is. Is hainsey a top pairing defender? Nope, but he helped Rielly this year. It's called DEPTH...I know we aren't used to having it but this is what DEPTH looks like. Here everyone say it aloud with me DEEEEEPPPPPPTTTTTTHHHHHH

Reads condescending but It was more facetious

Reactions: CanadasTeam

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Is it weird for anyone else rooting for this guy? :laugh:

He was a Hab for so long.
It 's only weird if he doesn't wanna be here! Which until last nite was a question mark. Rare that a player goes from looking disinterested to 'who is this guy'....have you seen my slogan for him ?
" Don't Panic we got Plekanic".....

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
like really. This quote you lol'd is like the opposite of if you have lemons, make lemonade. Finding the damp in a rainbow or something, i don't even know what.
The glass isn't half full, its EMPTY!!!
lol

If life hands you Lemons, punch it in the freaking mouth, cause what you asked for were freaking Oranges not Lemons and its about time life learns you get what you ask for!

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
I think it's hilarious after his first 5 games some were ready to string up Lou for giving up a second and some said too early to make a decision on if it was a good move, suspect there is a lot of crow on the menu for some guys.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I think Pleks is better defensively than Kadri. I do.

Kadri should be on the ice for puck possession and generating offence. I would say keep Pleks out against the Bergy line.
I don't think that is a very controversial opinion.
What Kadri can do is score, and some players totally get under the skin of.
(sorry for the split participle, wine with lunch....)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think it's hilarious after his first 5 games some were ready to string up Lou for giving up a second and some said too early to make a decision on if it was a good move, suspect there is a lot of crow on the menu for some guys.

I am one of those people. I made this thread. I was skeptical. Why should I be labelled as "dead wrong"? I have two eyes and his body of work to go on: 2 assists in 17 games -2 with Toronto. Could you please link us to your post where you said that "Kadri just needs to be suspended for 3 games, and Pleks can play up in the line-up. Then you'll see why Lou traded assets for him!"

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Is it weird for anyone else rooting for this guy? :laugh:

He was a Hab for so long.
No. Players come and go. What are the chances Auston Matthews retires as a Leaf? If the Leafs want to set their 'culture'
as the #1 priority and see after repeated attempts at trying to get Nylander to cover his point, he defies the coaching... and then asks
for too much money... he's gone. You never know who's going to be wearing the Leaf jersey. Sometimes deals are done that
make no 'talent' sense, but happen for reasons.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I am one of those people. I made this thread. I was skeptical. Why should I be labelled as "dead wrong"? I have two eyes and his body of work to go on: 2 assists in 17 games -2 with Toronto. Could you please link us to your post where you said that "Kadri just needs to be suspended for 3 games, and Pleks can play up in the line-up. Then you'll see why Lou traded assets for him!"

Plekanec was brought in to stabilize the fourth line and stop them from bleeding goals. He did that for the most part, people who were expecting offense were disappointed but anyone whose followed his career at all knows that's not what he's here for.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Plekanec was brought in to stabilize the fourth line and stop them from bleeding goals. He did that for the most part, people who were expecting offense were disappointed but anyone whose followed his career at all knows that's not what he's here for.

yeah. he had six goals before coming to Toronto. we know.

i just wonder who might have been thread banned 3 weeks ago by suggesting that Pleks play on the 2nd line with Marleau and Marner.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Never said you were dead wrong, and never posted about Kadri being suspended, but I did mentioned it was too early to make a decision on Pieks, new team new system when some members were calling for Lou's head after he played a few games. When the team needed a center after the suspension, he was replaced with a defensive responsible center good on face offs and he rose to the occasion. Just made a comment bro, sorry if it offended you, was not my intention.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Said it after his disappointing start that we should only judge the Pleks trade by his playoff performance. I was starting to go to the dark side (said jury was in and Lou lost the trade) after game two but now feeling a little bit more optimistic. So far he is 1 good and 2 bad playoff games (as are most of the team). Needs to keep playing well for Leaf fans to stop questioning giving up that precious 2nd round pick.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Said it after his disappointing start that we should only judge the Pleks trade by his playoff performance. I was starting to go to the dark side (said jury was in and Lou lost the trade) after game two but now feeling a little bit more optimistic. So far he is 1 good and 2 bad playoff games (as are most of the team). Needs to keep playing well for Leaf fans to stop questioning giving up that precious 2nd round pick.

If they dont make it out of the 1st round, people are going to question the trade regardless of how well he plays

Reactions: pulfordfan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If they dont make it out of the 1st round, people are going to question the trade regardless of how well he plays

Possible, but we also lost last year in round 1 and we do not hear too much complaining about the Boyle trade. I don't care if they lose in round 1 as long as they go down fighting. The effort in Boston was concerning.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Possible, but we also lost last year in round 1 and we do not hear too much complaining about the Boyle trade. I don't care if they lose in round 1 as long as they go down fighting. The effort in Boston was concerning.

True, but don't forget: Last year, we were a wild card team that needed a bit of help getting in.

This year we were on pace for 100 points before we got Plekanec.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
True, but don't forget: Last year, we were a wild card team that needed a bit of help getting in.

This year we were on pace for 100 points before we got Plekanec.

They need to aim for #1 in the division. It's the best way to get out of the first round with this playoff format.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They need to aim for #1 in the division. It's the best way to get out of the first round with this playoff format.

If you build your team the right way (and I think they are, despite the way I think this 1st round series is going to go), then you should be able to feel confident beating anyone regardless of who you go up against.

Sure, 1st seed gives you the favorable wild-card matchup, but even a quick glance at Tampa or Nashville, and you can see that even though they both ended up as top seeds with favorable wild card matchups, they are still in a hell of a battle.

If they just worry about what's in their control, and not about the standings, they will be fine moving forward

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

I called him to be a key against Bergeron.... but lou himself said it. So did babcock. They both mentioned his success against Boston as a key factor

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He's been playing great after his first 20 game adjustment period. Best player on the leafs this series, easily. Despite his one awful game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad