The Tomas Plekanec Thread

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Babcock needs to keep this matchup as long as possible, even if it means demoting Kadri.

If we're at home against Boston yes, but if we are away I wouldn't want that line together. (Kadri's return will be for an away game 5, home game 6 and away game 7).

At home:
Marleau-Plekanec-Marner/Kapanen (Because of the weird Plekanec-Bergeron/Marchand thing)
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner/Kapanen (Can also use this line as a matchup)

Away:
Marleau-Kadri-Marner (Put your best offensive guys together because Boston will match Bergeron line against the Matthews line)
Johnsson-Plekanec-Kapanen

Reactions: Liminality

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Thought the trade was alright and never understood the hate for him even during the regular season. He did his job but didn't exceed it in the regular season, based on his usage, and you were optimistic he had more to give after he got accustomed to his surroundings. Tonight proved true.

I have had no faith in our ability to win a draw on the PK (anecdotally, no stats to back this up) until we got Pleks. I would watch guys like Hyman on the 1st PK unit routinely get cleaned on it. I don't know what the numbers say but the impact of a draw that you lose clean is far worst than a mere win/loss.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
By far the best game as a Leaf.

Keep Komarov away from him for the rest of the series

More like keep Komorov away from everybody, ie put him in the press box
Yep, what Kiwi said.. best case is Komarov never plays for Leafs again
He played awesome tonight.

When Kadri’s back let’s roll:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Plekanec-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen

Winning Thursday would be huge because I think we can win one in Boston with that lineup.
I like it. Would probably make the Bozak line the 4th line, maybe sub JVR in for Hyman & Marleau when those lines are lining up in the OZ to start the face off

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The "best line in hockey" got shut down by a 35 year old dude in a turtleneck.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I know everyone is high from last night's win, but this Plekanec turn around is so strange.

If he decides to stop showing up on the 4th line, but will only show up on the 2nd line creates a big problem for TOR.

Bozak is not really a 4th line guy, so you have to keep Moore there.

So now what? Put Kadri on the wing?

Lucky for us that Kadri is suspended? Unlucky for us when he returns?

This is bad and I can't wait to see what Babcock does when Kadri returns.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know everyone is high from last night's win, but this Plekanec turn around is so strange.

If he decides to stop showing up on the 4th line, but will only show up on the 2nd line creates a big problem for TOR.

LOL.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Certain players do better by playing more. I don’t think he was angry or disinterested. Plekanec has always been a professional while in Montreal. Just a case of a guy getting a role he’s more comfortable in.

He may not always have excellent games. If he did, Habs would’ve kept him. Hopefully the turtleneck earns his keep and does well for you guys.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Moore sits or he slides to the wing.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Plekanec - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
JVR - Bozak - Brown

Pretty solid if you ask me.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Certain players do better by playing more. I don’t think he was angry or disinterested. Plekanec has always been a professional while in Montreal. Just a case of a guy getting a role he’s more comfortable in.

He may not always have excellent games. If he did, Habs would’ve kept him. Hopefully the turtleneck earns his keep and does well for you guys.
Yeah I think he must have felt like he didn't have much as a role on the Leafs being the 4th line guy who is there just not to get destroyed. This game Babcock gives him the toughest assignment, Leafs playoff hopes on the line, tasked to shut down one of the top lines in hockey. I'm sure he has much more fun doing that.
Not saying that's an excuse for his presence not being felt on the 4th line beforehand, just think think situation motivates him a lot more at this time in his career.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

JVR - Bozak - Brown

I see what you're saying. I just don't like Boz to be defensive (he's better at generating offense), and JVR checking/having his minutes deminished.

My other issue is Plekanec coming alive when he plays on the 2nd line. He couldn't show some life on the 4th?

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
His inner Hab has finally come out...I predicted if we played Boston he'd show up eventually. Yesterday was the first time I saw him actually give a F.
Also, he seems to have gotten under the skin of Marchand and Bergeron.

If this keeps up, expect the Leafs to take this to 7...and expect Marchand to do something stupid. Guaranteed.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
His inner Hab has finally come out...I predicted if we played Boston he'd show up eventually. Yesterday was the first time I saw him actually give a F.
Also, he seems to have gotten under the skin of Marchand and Bergeron.

If this keeps up, expect the Leafs to take this to 7...and expect Marchand to do something stupid. Guaranteed.

He was doing stupid things last night but for some reason, he keeps getting away with it.

Reactions: Rogie

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Well...thing is, NHL brought this upon itself with the Doughty and Kadri suspensions. It was dirty, but what is the NHL going to do? Keep suspending everyone? They put themselves in a hole.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

JVR - Bozak - Brown

Assuming the next game looks similar to last nights game, I don't see how the lineup could be anything but this. Unless Babcock decides that Komarov needs to be in that is but I digress ... :laugh::laugh:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Don't get me wrong though. Of course I'm happy with the win. I just feel conflicted about Plekanec finally showing up in game 3 of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Well clearly one game gives us a good view into the future and decisions should be made off a small sample size, trade-bait Kadri and sign Plec's for a fraction of Kadri's contract. #missionaccomplished

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Don't get me wrong though. Of course I'm happy with the win. I just feel conflicted about Plekanec finally showing up in game 3 of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

It was Plec's first time he showed up since the TDL. He looked like a completely different player. For the record it apparently takes 2 months to get over the red/white and blue flu.

What do winter tires and Hab's have in common, nothing .... winter tires actually perform best between November to March. Ahhhahahahahah .... FORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He was doing stupid things last night but for some reason, he keeps getting away with it.

I as not impressed that no call was made when Bergeron and Marchand "attacked" him simultaneous shortly after Plek put a nice hit on Bergeron. The league promotes speed and skill but in the playoffs they allow speed and skill to be nullified by allowing clutching and grabbing. Somebody should tell the NHL that they can't suck and blow at the same time.

Reactions: hector morrison

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think Pleks is better defensively than Kadri. I do.

Kadri should be on the ice for puck possession and generating offence. I would say keep Pleks out against the Bergy line.

Reactions: Macallan18

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
It was Plec's first time he showed up since the TDL. He looked like a completely different player. For the record it apparently takes 2 months to get over the red/white and blue flu.

What do winter tires and Hab's have in common, nothing .... winter tires actually perform best between November to March. Ahhhahahahahah .... FORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats just Nasty!!!.....but good! Imma use it!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I see what you're saying. I just don't like Boz to be defensive (he's better at generating offense), and JVR checking/having his minutes deminished.

My other issue is Plekanec coming alive when he plays on the 2nd line. He couldn't show some life on the 4th?

The order someone posts them on a message board, doesn't determine their roles in games.

This idea that we must define who is first line, second line, and therefore what they do in a game, and the role they play is outdated. It's four lines of hockey players, and they'll go out and play the game. Obviously Bozak isn't the matchup line.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Would find a way to insert Pleks on Matthews line in game 5.
Or Kadri,gotta find a way,unless Matthews ,Willy and Hyman show signs of figuring it out!.
Last nite, it looked like Bergerons line couldn't avoid Pleks ,couldn't handle Marner and totally ignored Marleau. It was beautiful!
Nice adjustment by Babs! I have to eat some crow for bad mouthing him,now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->