The Time for Change Thread

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
We are much better than most anticipated this far into the season. We are currently into a playoff spot. Jason Botterill has overall cleaned up a major mess made by his predecessor and put us on pace to be a top franchise in the near future, however we have begun to slide and changes need to be made to continue to progress our season. What changes would you make to right the ship?

I fully understand Botts' looking at future seasons as the priority but at the same time, we are good enough now to be a playoff team and potentially win a series. I think he needs to address the middle 6 immediately to further build a winning culture.

Kyle Okposo 0 points in 14 games - Healthy Scratch/Waive. He's brutal and signed on one of the worst deals in the NHL. On pace for 11 goals and 32 points and half of his goals have been on the PP which he has been gifted PP time, especially earlier in the season.

Vlad Sobotka 0 points in 17 games - He at least isn't signed for much longer and can win FOs add some value but still he adds 0 offense and is on pace for 11 points and he isn't a 4th line defensive center like Larsson. At this point he is only a 4th liner and he isn't adding the physicality/defensive shutdown needed. He needs to go

Casey Mittelstadt 0 points in 7 games - Casey has overall played well and really has done much better defensively than I think most would have expected. He hasn't had a ton of PP time to get points. Biggest negative for Casey is he can really only be a 3rd line Center who can get favorable match ups and we don't have a 2nd line center behind Eichel to allow him those match ups. He don't have a enough offensive depth to shelter him which I'd like to see him dominate the AHL and play in all situations. I don't want to hinder his development by rushing him.

Conor Sheary - Still on pace for 32 points despite coming back slow from his injury. Is on pace for the same amount of points as Okposo despite missing a chunk of games. Adds speed and is consistently a 30-40 point player which is fine for his cost. Needs to get out of the funk but others have been worse.

Jason Pominville - Still one of the top point getters and on pace for 20 goals. Can still be effective but needs to be carried by his line. When he hasn't been with Eichel, he struggles immensely. Will likely be gone after this season which brings us a bunch of money back from the cap.

Tage Thompson 1 point in his last 13 games - Was a healthy scratch and came back with 5 points in 6 games. He's on pace for 16 points and adds little to any value. He's leap frogged many in ROC without merit. He should be sent down to develop more than his toe drag. He was great in the summer but others deserve a chance.

Evan Rodrigues 1 point in his last 7 games - Has some skill but must continue to find a role if he's going to stay in the league. With Zemgus out for a bit, this is crucial for him to show he can be a bottom 6 winger who can play a defensive role and still chip in offensively.

Remi Elie 1 point in 12 games this year - On pace for 5 points and adds little to no value. Was brutal again last night. Not physical, adds no offense, and is a defensive liability. Waive

If we are serious about earn everything/winning culture, we can't allow our downstreak to continue, we must make changes.

I'd send Tage to Rochester/Healthy scratch Okposo for a game, no 6 million dollar player is off the hook for 0 points in 14 games/Call Up Smith and Olofsson and give them an opportunity, they've at least learned a look. Waive Elie. When Wilson comes back, he can send one of the 2 AHL guys back and keep the better one or waive Okposo to see if anyone bites on the contract.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Olofsson
Smith-Rodrigues-Okposo
Sobotka-Larsson-Pominville

McCabe-Risto
Dahlin-Bogo
Pilut-Scandella/Beaulieu

I think Botts has to make a tweak or two especially on our current slid. We don't have to make any major overhauls as we shouldn't because our peak is the next 2-5 years. But we can't allow the Okposos and others to just keep getting games because of their contracts.

Then at the deadline/summer we can be more aggressive as our cap space increases significantly and add a good 2/3 center and re-sign Skinner.

Reactions: Rasmi and sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->