OT: The thread formerly known as Mousecop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
What a perfect WNY weekend. I grilled Friday, Saturday, and today. I did something outside beyond the grill every day and I was off all weekend. Doesn’t get much better than that.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
huh just felt the 4.0 earthquake here in cleveland.
Yeah, earthquakes are weird. My teen years I slept in the basement in the house I grew up in WNY and I remember an early AM quake from the Attica fault. I was awake in the early AM (5:30) mid-late '90s and it felt like someone was rattling my bed along the concrete basement floor.

Handful of years ago, the ~Alexandria Virginia quake was felt real-time by many on this board, ~800 miles apart, and ~400 miles from the epicenter.

Reactions: oldgoalie

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
@oldgoalie: all three kids/stepkids done with school and home concurrently. Cycling through medical / dental appts for the brood, which means I'm working from home a few days / half-days here and there pending my meeting schedules & their appointments. As such, revisiting a Genesis phase when working from home. To wit: Lamb, Abacab, Duke, 3 sides live (have that on CD), Selling England by the Pound, etc.

I like most everything between Selling England by the Pound and Abacab, like a bit of the earlier work, and can tolerate a some of the latter when they/Phil went uber-commercial.

I like many other artists, and wouldn't necessarily place Genesis extremely high on my favorites (in my top 10), but find much of the general pop music of the past ~30 years devoid of any enduring qualities (selected artists excepted). To me, pop music has little-to-no complexity, depth, and continuity of theme. Never mind a fair share of artists today are marketed for their visual appeal versus their musical talent.

Reactions: Chainshot

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
@oldgoalie: all three kids/stepkids done with school and home concurrently. Cycling through medical / dental appts for the brood, which means I'm working from home a few days / half-days here and there pending my meeting schedules & their appointments. As such, revisiting a Genesis phase when working from home. To wit: Lamb, Abacab, Duke, 3 sides live (have that on CD), Selling England by the Pound, etc.

I like most everything between Selling England by the Pound and Abacab, like a bit of the earlier work, and can tolerate a some of the latter when they/Phil went uber-commercial.

I like many other artists, and wouldn't necessarily place Genesis extremely high on my favorites (in my top 10), but find much of the general pop music of the past ~30 years devoid of any enduring qualities (selected artists excepted). To me, pop music has little-to-no complexity, depth, and continuity of theme. Never mind a fair share of artists today are marketed for their visual appeal versus their musical talent.
Scientists prove it's the same old song – only louder
Science supports your last statement. Problem is that people are so used to the dumbed down formula that they think everything else sounds weird or off. Complex harmonics are anxiety inducing however, as well as shifting tempo and time signature so my personal theory is that pop music these days is based on what makes people feel good: steady beat+simple harmonics. And I guess it’s kind of elitist of me to call ”feel good music” dumbed down but I consider the current climate when it comes to culture to be a personal insult. Yes, I’m bitter. :)

I’m planning to be super pretentious this summer and read some books by Hindemith to improve my compositions and go even deeper in to the musical equalient of a nuclear wasteland...

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Scientists prove it's the same old song – only louder
Science supports your last statement. Problem is that people are so used to the dumbed down formula that they think everything else sounds weird or off. Complex harmonics are anxiety inducing however, as well as shifting tempo and time signature so my personal theory is that pop music these days is based on what makes people feel good: steady beat+simple harmonics. And I guess it’s kind of elitist of me to call ”feel good music” dumbed down but I consider the current climate when it comes to culture to be a personal insult. Yes, I’m bitter. :)

I’m planning to be super pretentious this summer and read some books by Hindemith to improve my compositions and go even deeper in to the musical equalient of a nuclear wasteland...
Hmmm, I am old. Never heard of any of those guys. Still a classical music, jazz and hits of the 50's guy with only the occasional song the younger generation convinces me is ok. I am not looking for discord or complexity in modern music. I want the good guys to win in movies and books. Through my life in my profession I saw more ugliness, depression, madness and evil and now -since I do not use any illicit substances and only have about one drink a week-I do not need anything jarring or tragic, For that I have the Sabres.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Musically, I am proud that I have introduced my children to a broad range of genres and artists. I kind of like that when they hop in the car and they asked me to fire up my playlist. What’s even funnier is that my ex has repeatedly asked me to share musical lists with her like I am making some sort of latter-day mixtape for somebody who wanted out of my life. That’s a big negatory ghost rider.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

As I’ve made known, I’ve been a huge Genesis fan since the early 70s... i *just* missed seeing the Lamb by a year (my wife saw that tour and doesn’t ever remember going). My favorite works are from the Gabriel era, and a part of the Collins era. I hate the super pop crap (“Paper Late” makes me want to vomit), but I think some of Genesis’ best work is Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering; Phil’s vocals and the song writing are superb. The Lamb is an amazing piece of work, considering that Pete wrote just about the entire album. I never saw them with Steve Hackett; he left right before the “And ThenThere Were Three” album tour. I did see Steve a couple years ago in DC when he was doing his “Genesis Revisited” tour, and if I closed my eyes, it could have been the Genesis of old.
I agree with your comments about current pop; much ado about style and no substance. Too much processed crap.

One album of theirs that I highly recommend is “Seconds Out”. Right around the time of the Trick of the Tail tour. Absolutely one of the best live albums I’ve ever heard. If you don’t own it, you should. ;-)

I’ve seen Peter about 8 or 9 times; first time was his second solo tour, and last time it was the “Up” tour. I tried getting tickets for the Gabriel/Sting tour, but the bastard scalpers got there first. The seats I wanted went to $1200 a piece.
f*** that noise. I saw Sting for free in SF at Oracle Open World a few years back, and I’d seen Gabriel enough times that I felt a house payment wasn’t worth seeing that concert.

Rock on, my friend.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As I’ve made known, I’ve been a huge Genesis fan since the early 70s... i *just* missed seeing the Lamb by a year (my wife saw that tour and doesn’t ever remember going). My favorite works are from the Gabriel era, and a part of the Collins era. I hate the super pop crap (“Paper Late” makes me want to vomit), but I think some of Genesis’ best work is Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering; Phil’s vocals and the song writing are superb. The Lamb is an amazing piece of work, considering that Pete wrote just about the entire album. I never saw them with Steve Hackett; he left right before the “And ThenThere Were Three” album tour. I did see Steve a couple years ago in DC when he was doing his “Genesis Revisited” tour, and if I closed my eyes, it could have been the Genesis of old.
I agree with your comments about current pop; much ado about style and no substance. Too much processed crap.

One album of theirs that I highly recommend is “Seconds Out”. Right around the time of the Trick of the Tail tour. Absolutely one of the best live albums I’ve ever heard. If you don’t own it, you should. ;-)

I’ve seen Peter about 8 or 9 times; first time was his second solo tour, and last time it was the “Up” tour. I tried getting tickets for the Gabriel/Sting tour, but the bastard scalpers got there first. The seats I wanted went to $1200 a piece.
**** that noise. I saw Sting for free in SF at Oracle Open World a few years back, and I’d seen Gabriel enough times that I felt a house payment wasn’t worth seeing that concert.

Rock on, my friend.

“Second Out” is one of my top three albums of all time. I had a bootleg copy of it onto cassettes, then I bought it on LP and then I bought it on CD. I then worked backwards through the Gabriel material. I agree on the two albums where the band was a foursome before Hackett left. I also liked the self titled album because it was a little darker, However that start of their shift toward being a pop band and was far too main stream for my egotistically mercurial musical tastes of my youth.

I had a lot of friends who enjoyed the band Yes. I never understood, but I do have the John and Vangelis side project.

Last edited:

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
What’s even funnier is that my ex has repeatedly asked me to share musical lists with her like I am making some sort of latter-day mixtape for somebody who wanted out of my life. That’s a big negatory ghost rider.

Never let others benefit from your hard work - and that is the DJ Gospel.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rough sort of morning: one of my old friends from work has been supporting his wife through a long rollercoaster fight against cancer. She has reached the end and it is now only a matter of time. They were such a sweet couple, so well matched and so head over heels for each other even so many years later. Cancer so f***ing sucks.

Add in prepping my little, relatively unfurnished collection of rooms to host the kids for a week starting tomorrow is just... I'm tired of dealing with the humility required in all of this. I didn't think I had a lot of ego in my real life that needed to be burned out of me, but man... This is hard.

And then I get a message from my daughter that she's going through a bunch of her old toys and she wants to make sure she can donate some stuff that I had saved from my childhood. Some poignant memories and feeling some sense of nostalgia about life in that little photo.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Rough sort of morning: one of my old friends from work has been supporting his wife through a long rollercoaster fight against cancer. She has reached the end and it is now only a matter of time. They were such a sweet couple, so well matched and so head over heels for each other even so many years later. Cancer so ****ing sucks.

Add in prepping my little, relatively unfurnished collection of rooms to host the kids for a week starting tomorrow is just... I'm tired of dealing with the humility required in all of this. I didn't think I had a lot of ego in my real life that needed to be burned out of me, but man... This is hard.

And then I get a message from my daughter that she's going through a bunch of her old toys and she wants to make sure she can donate some stuff that I had saved from my childhood. Some poignant memories and feeling some sense of nostalgia about life in that little photo.

It sucks, but time does help heal the wounds.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Rough sort of morning: one of my old friends from work has been supporting his wife through a long rollercoaster fight against cancer. She has reached the end and it is now only a matter of time. They were such a sweet couple, so well matched and so head over heels for each other even so many years later. Cancer so ****ing sucks.

Hang in there. It sucks, but you’re made of some tough stuff.

And yes, cancer f***ing sucks. Brutally so, sometimes.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Hang in there.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006

I heartily endorse the F cancer sentiment. Watching the NBA finals and can't help thinking of one of my closest friends I used to these games with I lost to cancer 2 years ago who loved them so much more than I ever will, and who in turn would sit through NHL stuff.

I feel you with the family stuff. Keep at it with the them and you'll get through whatever it takes. It is a hard adjustment transitioning to the new routine, context, and just not being able to do things how you used to after a split. I'm on year 4 of it and though my kids have lived with me through all of it, it's been tough a lot of times, especially at the start.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Confirmed: The Ticats are humming!!!
20190613_222736.jpg

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
It is pretty surreal wholeheartedly rooting for Toronto in a sporting event.

This is looking like the second game in a row where they crap the bed at the end though.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Yeah, earthquakes are weird. My teen years I slept in the basement in the house I grew up in WNY and I remember an early AM quake from the Attica fault. I was awake in the early AM (5:30) mid-late '90s and it felt like someone was rattling my bed along the concrete basement floor.

Handful of years ago, the ~Alexandria Virginia quake was felt real-time by many on this board, ~800 miles apart, and ~400 miles from the epicenter.

I was in the 5th floor of the Richmond IRS building for the Alexandria one. We all thought someone bombed us.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Whoo Raptors Champions!!!

I'm gonna be so hungover tomorrow and there is work. There is still at least 40 people here refusing to let the party die.

This buys the Sabres some time to impress me but man does it feel good to celebrate your team winning a championship. Maybe I will feel that with the Sabres sometime until then.

Kawhi MVP.. MVP.. MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad