OT: The Thread About Nothing CCX: Pet Emporium

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So I bought one of those water piks in the name of oral hygiene, and then I proceeded to flood my bathroom.

Need to get the hang of that thing.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So I bought one of those water piks in the name of oral hygiene, and then I proceeded to flood my bathroom.

Need to get the hang of that thing.
Reminds me of when I got my first electric toothbrush. Took about 3 seconds to learn that, after putting toothpaste on the brush, you have to put the brush in your mouth BEFORE you turn the thing on :facepalm:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Reminds me of when I got my first electric toothbrush. Took about 3 seconds to learn that, after putting toothpaste on the brush, you have to put the brush in your mouth BEFORE you turn the thing on :facepalm:

I had to release the steam pressure on my espresso machine by sticking the tube in some liquid. To do that, I put it in the leftover milk - too much as it turned out. Looked like an earthquake hit a bukake set.

Reactions: Nubmer6

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Friday February 7th was my 20th year anniversary working with the same company...Not sure how I feel about it...Part of me feels like it is an accomplishment but another part feels like that is a lot of time I missed fishing.

Reactions: Brodeur

lucifer91

Jul 29, 2011
NJ
I don't know if there is a thread for it, if there is, can any one direct me to it? I am just wondering if there is a thread that fellow devils fans say where they are located. I am up in Wantage, Sussex County. I feel like I am surrounded by Ranger fans, so I was just wondering if there are any fellow HF posters that are up in that area. Wouldn't even mind meeting up at a bar to watch a game or 2.

Thanks.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Friday February 7th was my 20th year anniversary working with the same company...Not sure how I feel about it...Part of me feels like it is an accomplishment but another part feels like that is a lot of time I missed fishing.

I think I see your problem.

If you job WAS FISHING, there would be no issue at all.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Send it to me.
I could send you a picture! :naughty:

It's too bad it's not signed by Herb Brooks.

Hated him when he coached our team, but loved him in Lake Placid. It's what really got me into hockey as a kid. Before that I was just a casual fan, although I knew even at 12 years old I hated the Rangers :)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think I see your problem.

If you job WAS FISHING, there would be no issue at all.

When I was young I wanted to own an outdoor sports shop...My dad is a very accomplished archer and I always asked him why he never opened a shop.

He started working at one of the most famous archery shops in the country when he was 14 years old...Robinhood Archery since closed used to be in Montclair and it was a world renouned shop fulled with Champion Archers working the place. He made arrows and bowstrings in the shop.

My dad told me, "I love archery and I would never want to make it my full time work"...So around that time I was 10 years old and he took me to a couple of archery shops that he knew the owners, one in Haledon now closed and one in Belleville now close.d..See the theme here "Now closed" - to talk with them about running a shop...at the same time he got me a job at Bait Shop in Paterson. So I could see what it was like.

I loved working the bait shop...In fact, I did it seasonally from the time I was 10 until I was 18...The owner paid me in fishing equipment. I properly got $50 worth of merchandise, maybe $75 for a couple of months worth of weekends . It was fun, interacting with the public was sometimes hard but I really enjoyed it...but what I saw made me never entertain the idea of owning a shop. I am sure that was dad's plan to begin with.

The patrons of the store would regularly bring food to the owner...in later years I found out he barely made enough money to keep the store open, the shelfs lightly stocked and feed himself and that is why everyone brought him food. He was too proud for assistance of any sort and genuinely enjoyed what he did. He ran the business poorly, I don't think he cared about money...He gave more stuff away than he should have but it was never going to be a money maker anyway. I realized pretty early on that there was almost no way to really make a living doing what he was doing...and that was way before the internet. Now nobody goes to those type of shops anymore, there are hardly any left. So I decided to not mix business with pleasure probably from the time I was around 15 or 16...But I don't think it is too late to give it a try for a 2nd career :)

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I don't know if there is a thread for it, if there is, can any one direct me to it? I am just wondering if there is a thread that fellow devils fans say where they are located. I am up in Wantage, Sussex County. I feel like I am surrounded by Ranger fans, so I was just wondering if there are any fellow HF posters that are up in that area. Wouldn't even mind meeting up at a bar to watch a game or 2.

Thanks.
There was a map posted somewhere a few years ago with fan% per team by county, and for some reason Sussex was really Ranger-heavy. Not sure why.

lucifer91

Jul 29, 2011
NJ
There was a map posted somewhere a few years ago with fan% per team by county, and for some reason Sussex was really Ranger-heavy. Not sure why.

I could believe that, my old hockey team, from what I remember, had about 5 Rangers fans, 1 Pens, 1 Flyers and a 2 Devils fan. 2 of the Rangers fans are really close friends of mine, I actually take them to devils games when I get free tix from vendors. They are rangers fans mostly because of their dad (they are brothers) but I don't see how that situation is different from other counties. Oh well.

Here are the results of the N.J. NHL fan border battle

found it

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ok... here's my theory. A lot of NJ grew up as Rangers fan till the Devils got relevant. I'm thinking they were from the arena, the more likely they were to remain Rangers fans. Again, just a theory.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My first NHL game was a Ranger game. My first real exposure to hockey was the Rangers on channel 9. Although I never remotely liked the Rangers.

My first favorite player was Mark Johnson who led the 1980 team in scoring and I couldn't help but adore Mike Eruzione... Shortly after those Olympic games I saw a cover from I think it was the Hockey News at news stand on Main Street in Clifton with Wayne Gretzky on it....my mom was in a store and I started reading about Edmonton and there move from the WHA to the NHL...I would check the score sheets almost religiously for two years to see how many points this Wayne guy had put up. At the same time I was following the careers of the guys that played for the 80 team... Mark Johnson in Pittsburgh, Christoff in Minnesota, McClanahan and Ramsey in Buffalo, Dave Silk with Rangers, Dave Christian in Winnipeg...

And then they made the announcement in May 1982...a new team was coming to New Jersey from Colorado.

So I had about 2 years of following team USA players and Wayne Gretzky before I started following the Devils.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
My first NHL game was a Ranger game. My first real exposure to hockey was the Rangers on channel 9. Although I never remotely liked the Rangers.

My first favorite player was Mark Johnson who led the 1980 team in scoring and I couldn't help but adore Mike Eruzione... Shortly after those Olympic games I saw a cover from I think it was the Hockey News at news stand on Main Street in Clifton with Wayne Gretzky on it....my mom was in a store and I started reading about Edmonton and there move from the WHA to the NHL...I would check the score sheets almost religiously for two years to see how many points this Wayne guy had put up. At the same time I was following the careers of the guys that played for the 80 team... Mark Johnson in Pittsburgh, Christoff in Minnesota, McClanahan and Ramsey in Buffalo, Dave Silk with Rangers, Dave Christian in Winnipeg...

And then they made the announcement in May 1982...a new team was coming to New Jersey from Colorado.

So I had about 2 years of following team USA players and Wayne Gretzky before I started following the Devils.
I was actually an Islanders fan up to the miracle run in 87. I also liked Sean Burke. Met him after a practice and he turned out to be a metal-head :)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

In a few months, it'll be 18 years for me. I ran into a college friend a few weeks back and I don't know why I felt a smidge of shame in telling him that I was still with the same company.

Speaking of anniversary's I just realized that this year is the 40th anniversary of the 1980 team - I wonder if Lake Placid is doing anything special for the Miracle?

Edit: found this:
The 40th Anniversary of the 1980 Winter Olympics

Ah, that explains why Miracle was on TV over the weekend. Sadly I was looking up the actors and the one who portrayed Jack O'Callahan committed suicide in 2017.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was actually an Islanders fan up to the miracle run in 87. I also liked Sean Burke. Met him after a practice and he turned out to be a metal-head :)
That's awesome. I know a lot of people that became Devil fans during that run.

I actually think that was an important point in Devil's history because a lot of New Jersey people who follwed other teams came home that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad