OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVIII: Limes On A Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I am so very happy to be an only child. Mainly because I don't understand the concept of sharing.

I'm the youngest, which is the best of both worlds. I have siblings, a lifetime of pampering, and you dont have to share a thing when you're last.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It is that time of year again...Orvis Learn to Fly Fish for Free Classes. Princeton Orvis will have free 101 classes on May 11th, 18th, 25th, June 1st and June 8th.

Constant Contact Events

But if the Princeton location isn't preferred, most Orvis Stores will be holding similar classes. You can find them here

Fly Fishing 101 - Free Fly Fishing Lessons for Beginners | Orvis

I am not affiliated with them in anyway...Just think it is awesome that they offer a free introductory class.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It is that time of year again...Orvis Learn to Fly Fish for Free Classes. Princeton Orvis will have free 101 classes on May 11th, 18th, 25th, June 1st and June 8th.

I'd love to learn how to fly fish one day, but I'm not going to anytime soon as I dont need the financial equivalent of a daily cocaine addiction.

EDIT: And it's smart for Orvis to do this each year (SEE: financial equivalent of a daily cocaine addiction.)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd love to learn how to fly fish one day, but I'm not going to anytime soon as I dont need the financial equivalent of a daily cocaine addiction.

EDIT: And it's smart for Orvis to do this each year (SEE: financial equivalent of a daily cocaine addiction.)
It doesn't have to be expensive. There is so much good inexpensive(relative) equipment out there today...Granted you would have to put some money out front, but decent stuff will last you for years.

Incidentals do add up and get expensive...waders, boots, vest or packs, tools, fly boxes, nets, sunglasses(I consider sunglasses essential) etc...But they aren't all necessary to start.

Rod, reel, backing and line...a couple leaders and flies can be had for under $300, less if you shop real hard...And you're ready to fish.

And then there is always the used route. A lot of people feel the need to buy a new rod every year when the latest models come out...You can sometimes pick up last years $850 model for $300...A lot of fly shops do trade-in's and then sell the used equipment. You can sometimes find great rods and reels really cheap.

EDIT: This is all with Trout Fishing in mind...Saltwater Fly Fishing is expensive and I don't think there is way around that...Mainly because the cost of saltwater reels are high...A good saltwater fly reel cost more than the entire decent Trout outfit.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It doesn't have to be expensive.

I get that, but it seems to me like saying cookies dont have to be fattening. That's true, but seemingly unlikely. Everyone I know who fly fishes seems to drop a lot of money on the hobby.

That said, I need to get some new waders this year STAT anyway as my old ones were leaking & had to be thrown out. I do have some basic things like nets & stringers already, but fly fishing can wait. If I move out west to Utah, however, I will immediately learn. Too much beautiful scenery and too many amazing streams and rivers to limit myself to spin-fishing.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I feel you but I hate going to the gym. There’s an old Lewis Black standup bit where he says that if you’re going to run, you should be somewhere else by the end, and I agree with that. Also, it costs nothing to jog outside.
My preference is to get my exercise by doing something productive. I spent a lot of time spring cleaning the last few weeks. Threw out about 15 pickup truck loads of stuff from my basement. Ripped up its raised floor, moved everything out and back. In the summer I do a ton of work on the summer house - replacing the boards on our deck, building an outdoor shower, etc. It's the only exercise I get, but it tends to be enough.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I'm interviewing [seperately] Daryl Hall and Billy Gibbons for my work.

If anyone has any questions, I'll consider them and give you a shout out.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm interviewing [seperately] Daryl Hall and Billy Gibbons for my work.

Ask Daryl Hall about his love of restoring old homes, and how he got started in that. I respect people that save/restore 18th & 19th century homes rather than tearing them down, and he really seems to know his stuff.*

*Granted, this question could be completely OT if the interview is supposed to be solely about his music. lol

EDIT: For a hockey & music question (see what I did there), you could ask him what he thinks about Toronto using You Make My Dreams for their goal song.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I get that, but it seems to me like saying cookies dont have to be fattening. That's true, but seemingly unlikely. Everyone I know who fly fishes seems to drop a lot of money on the hobby.

That said, I need to get some new waders this year STAT anyway as my old ones were leaking & had to be thrown out. I do have some basic things like nets & stringers already, but fly fishing can wait. If I move out west to Utah, however, I will immediately learn. Too much beautiful scenery and too many amazing streams and rivers to limit myself to spin-fishing.
If you move out west it is like fly fishing Nirvana. You'll immediately become a dry fly snob too :)
Once you get to catch large trout on the surface you don't want to do it any other way...Especially in the late summer early fall when grasshopper patterns rule the season.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
After I got the new wedges, I had to get these golf balls if for nothing other than the novelty of it:

02aLeNj.jpg

noAT4xc.jpg

Reactions: Billdo

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Between round 1 of the playoffs, Endgame tomorrow, and the week being bookended by 2 epic GoT episodes, I'm on entertainment overload.

I think I'm going to isolate myself in the mountains for a week in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad