OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVIII: Limes On A Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I was about to go full-Althusser on it, but basically, objects of great cultural and historical significance are destroyed every day and all the time, and new ones are created simultaneously. It's sad to watch them go but your beliefs and feelings stay with you, so it's only a physical apparatus that has disappeared. In a COMPLETELY different context, Marx said "All that is solid melts into air," and this is true of everything humans build.

So, I can't say that I've ever really been too bummed out by just a building being destroyed or torn down (The resultant loss of life, in those cases, is more sad to me).

The next topic: the rebuild! Here's some light reading, get started: Ship of Theseus - Wikipedia

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The next topic: the rebuild! Here's some light reading, get started: Ship of Theseus - Wikipedia

So, I disagree with you about as strongly as possible on the importance of preservation of historical buildings, objects, artifacts, etc...

However, I do agree with the Ship of Theseus phenomena & have a recent example. When I was in Park City the other week they announced that an old hotel on Main Street needed to be torn down because the innards are too dilapidated & unsafe to restore. So they're going to knock it down, but rebuild it in the same image/likeness as the original hotel. This I find completely illogical.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I was about to go full-Althusser on it, but basically, objects of great cultural and historical significance are destroyed every day and all the time, and new ones are created simultaneously. It's sad to watch them go but your beliefs and feelings stay with you, so it's only a physical apparatus that has disappeared. In a COMPLETELY different context, Marx said "All that is solid melts into air," and this is true of everything humans build.

So, I can't say that I've ever really been too bummed out by just a building being destroyed or torn down (The resultant loss of life, in those cases, is more sad to me).

The Book John Dies At the End uses this as its opener :)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I’m not gonna pass judgment on you, but it has great cultural significance and it’s sad to see something like that burn down, lives lost or not.

i get that, and yes it’s sad. but beyond that, in the context of actual critical real world issues...some stuff burned in a fire. i guess i just find it difficult to have some kind of emotional reaction to that, though i don’t judge those who do

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
So, I disagree with you about as strongly as possible on the importance of preservation of historical buildings, objects, artifacts, etc...

That's a personal feeling / belief of mine. Just trying to justify my less-than-upset feeling about the Notre Dame fire as not being of malice! You should feel however you want about it!

However, I do agree with the Ship of Theseus phenomena & have a recent example. When I was in Park City the other week they announced that an old hotel on Main Street needed to be torn down because the innards are too dilapidated & unsafe to restore. So they're going to knock it down, but rebuild it in the same image/likeness as the original hotel. This I find completely illogical.

I think the Ship of Theseus is one of the more interesting philosophical debates to be had, especially now that we're in the age of reboots and remakes.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Long time no see boys, been throwing a few back tonight and thought of this sub. Drinking a double IPA from Burial in Asheville. Classic small batch stuff

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’m so bored at work, i’m going to respond to one of those nigerian spam emails i get all the time. i’m thinking i’ll give the guy a long sob story and tell him how grateful i am for the $2.8 million dollars i will be receiving, etc and basically jerk him around for as long as possible before i “give him” the information he’s asking for.

i’ll say my name is Taylor Cangelosi for starters. any other ideas? maybe i can work some christina aguilera lyrics in there or something?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Especially considering threads on the Kate Smith anthem were locked both on the mainboard and the Flyers' forum I'd have to agree with Satans that this discussion (or debating the general validity of racial arguments) is getting way too political for the open forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Anyone here ever try eating rabbit? I had some the other night.

It tasted EXACTLY like chocolate.

:naughty:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Anyone here ever try eating rabbit? I had some the other night.

It tasted EXACTLY like chocolate.

:naughty:

you sure it wasnt mr. solid going down your throat? :naughty:

Mr_Solid_Milk_Allan_Candy.png

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm heading back out west in a week and a half. Cant wait! Love being out there. Going to hike some of the grand canyon. Wish I could do all of it, but the GF's parents are coming and they're old

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Fishing was a bust...nearly 6 hours round trip to the upper Delaware and not even a cast taken. Rivers looked like chocolate milk with giant logs floating by periodically...Oh well. Try again next week.

Still fun to play in the mountains.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So... I was just driving in the city and a question crossed my mind...

In what profession are most amateurs significantly better than professionals other than cab/limo drivers? :thumbd:

Reactions: Satans Hockey

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I'm convinced traffic laws are the single thing that NYPD enforces the *least.*

Leaving Yankee Stadium yesterday, was getting out the Bronx, using some side streets after getting out my lot. I go to make a left on Jerome, get my green light, and a guy casually blows through his red at like 20 mph after I had the green for a solid second. Fortunately, I waited to roll forward and saw him coming. I *rarely* lay on the horn for that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->