OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
A while ago I got into a silly little Seiko diver kick. Nothing serious I had a few, that's it. Still wear a Seiko turtle SRP777 a lot, especially fishing. But by no means would I call myself a collector.

Just the Apocalypse Now watch shape and style interested me. Mainly cause it was so distinct looking...most divers look like a Rolex Oyster copy but the Seiko didn't look like it was trying to be something it wasn't. So I admired it.

Google Image Result for https://cdn.gearpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/seiko-6105-gear-patrol-3.jpg
Seiko is solid!

I wore an Apple Watch for a few years and I sold it want want better and more stylish watches. Before doing research, I bought a Fossil, MVMT, and Vincero. Now I have done research and I know I shouldn't have bought those haha.

Next real estate deal I close, I'm going to pick up an Orient Automatic Sun Moon watch. Can't wait.
(Google Image Pic)

m7uomndotzf01.jpg

Reactions: Aethon

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Today marks 20 years since Bobby Boucher led the Mud Dogs to a 30-27 comeback victory over the Cougars in the Bourbon Bowl

That movie was filmed where I went to school.

I wasn't there as it was summer, but I recognize quite a few people (extras), and buildings etc, when I see the film, which is odd.

Fun fact: the giant water fountain Bobby Boucher daydreams about? In real life it's school tradition that you get thrown in it on your birthday. Also in real life, I twice received 2am to 3am phone calls from Public Safety to come pick up my drunk roommate because he was night swimming in it.

dd64b790250d37ddc2141580f879525f--best-colleges-stetson.jpg

Reactions: Davegarri

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I have been looking at Citizens. I feel like any basic watch collection needs a Citizen and a Seiko
Basically, any watch I've ever owned other than G-Shocks have been destroyed within half a year. I guess I'm kinda reckless with my arms... and I'm not even one of those guys that swings his arms around when he talks.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Seiko is solid!

I wore an Apple Watch for a few years and I sold it want want better and more stylish watches. Before doing research, I bought a Fossil, MVMT, and Vincero. Now I have done research and I know I shouldn't have bought those haha.

Next real estate deal I close, I'm going to pick up an Orient Automatic Sun Moon watch. Can't wait.
(Google Image Pic)

m7uomndotzf01.jpg
Very nice. Mechanical/automatic watches are pretty cool.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Seems like I'm in the minority here at least but I don't own a single watch and would never wear one. Clock is on my phone if I need to check the time and I just really don't like wearing accessories/jewelery.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i took my grandfather's pocket watch from his casket in 1999 and my dad's swiss army wrist watch from his last april…

..so ya…..i guess i collect :puppy:

(dont wear them nor any other watches or jewelery….not my thing)
Sorry about your Dad.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Seems like I'm in the minority here at least but I don't own a single watch and would never wear one. Clock is on my phone if I need to check the time and I just really don't like wearing accessories/jewelery.

I got one a few years back, wore it a bit but it's not good for my work to wear a watch. Plus the phone. It's kind of like a digital camera. There's never going to be a situation where I say "I wish I had a watch" or "I need my camera" because of the phone.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think you are in the minority, you probably are in the majority of men. My thing is really more about fishing than fashion. Especially saltwater fishing. Saltwater is nasty and corrodes everything. I like to fish shallow flats and I'm often wading and completely soaked. I use to keep my phone in a dry box and keep it in a sling pack but it's a real pain in the butt...it's really not good to carry anything that you don't want to get wet with saltwater. So I started leaving the phone in a dry bag on the boat and wearing a watch...that's how I latched on to divers. Time is important on the water...especially if you have to walk or boat out of something dangerous knowing how much light is left is pretty important.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I don't think you are in the minority, you probably are in the majority of men. My thing is really more about fishing than fashion. Especially saltwater fishing. Saltwater is nasty and corrodes everything. I like to fish shallow flats and I'm often wading and completely soaked. I use to keep my phone in a dry box and keep it in a sling pack but it's a real pain in the butt...it's really not good to carry anything that you don't want to get wet with saltwater. So I started leaving the phone in a dry bag on the boat and wearing a watch...that's how I latched on to divers. Time is important on the water...especially if you have to walk or boat out of something dangerous knowing how much light is left is pretty important.

good point….not good being out after dark

you've convinced me…im so putting a sundial on my canoe for next summer's trips ;)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
thanks…..

…i mentioned it back in an april TAN…it was a sudden hospital visit and 3 weeks later gone from bone and pancreatic cancer…..he didnt even know he had it

cheers
That's tough. When my mom passed away from cancer I was in a fog for a solid two years. I didn't handle it well at all still really haven't totally come to grips and this year was 10 years. I spent a lot of time being angry and feeling cheated of time. I refused to talk to anyone about it for about 4 years and that was probably a big mistake because it prolonged the shitty feeling I was feeling for really long time.

What I'm trying to say to say is don't let yourself fall into the abyss I did.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I used to wear a watch religiously. Since the advent of the smartphone I quit cold turkey.

Reactions: njdevil26

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I have noticed that "Tin Cup Whiskey" is advertised a lot during Devils games on TV.

Has anyone tried this whiskey? How did it taste? Anything else you can tell me about this whiskey.

Thanks

Go Devils

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

I've been trying to cut down on how much I am playing around with my phone... and something simple like checking the time would cause me to open the phone and go through Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. So I sold my Apple Watch and since I've been wearing regular watches, I have cut my phone use like... in half... plus I think they look great.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I have noticed that "Tin Cup Whiskey" is advertised a lot during Devils games on TV.

Has anyone tried this whiskey? How did it taste? Anything else you can tell me about this whiskey.

Thanks

Go Devils

There are better options for the price. It's inoffensive, but most of the whiskey it contains is sourced from outside the "mountains" that they brag about so much. Only aged 4-5 years too.

Like I said, it's inoffensive, tastes fine, but dollars to donuts I'd buy something different.

Reactions: Maine Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->