OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The older I get, the more I prefer weed over alcohol. More relaxing, less anxiety about anything, no hangover or puking, cheaper, quicker to get the job done, makes food taste better, and it helps me sleep like a rock. In fact, I think the only benefits that alcohol has over weed for me are social (I am the most anti-social person in the world stoned - I just lay around and snack in front of the TV) and the fact that I truly love the taste of various alcohols, whereas I'm not a huge fan of the taste/smell of weed.

Alcohol is actually worse, in my opinion. Drink too much of it and it will kill you. I have never heard of anyone dying from smoking too much pot

I think I remember reading that to overdose of marijuana, in raw bud form, you'd have to smoke more than would be physically possible; like you'd die from smoke-related issues before you actually OD'd. With all the new trends in weed (Waxes, oils, etc.), you could probably engineer some way to do it, but even then, you'd have to try reaaaaaaally hard to do it.

Meanwhile, I can go to a liquor store with $40 and give myself alcohol poisoning if I wanted to.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Alcohol is actually worse, in my opinion. Drink too much of it and it will kill you. I have never heard of anyone dying from smoking too much pot

this is accurate

Yeah it is hard to die from an overdose from weed. But it is very easy to get sick from edibles.

yeah but that's no different from getting sick off regular food :dunno:

i think people conflate "overdosing on weed" with "death via obesity from uncontrollable munchies"

there was also a story a few years back where some teenager, presumably with very limited marijuana experience, ate an *entire* cookie (six servings of 10 mg each, 60 mg of THC in total) and went nuts and leaped off a fourth-story balcony. i'm sure some tried to blame the weed even though the most experienced stoners would agree that eating an entire multi-serving edible in one sitting is asking for a shitty time and is a waste of weed... just like having three/four beers is asking for a good time, and six fireball shots later you want to die.

Pot Death: Teen Leaps 4 Stories After Eating Marijuana Cookie

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
ate an *entire* cookie (six servings of 10 mg each, 60 mg of THC in total) and went nuts and leaped off a fourth-story balcony. i'm sure some tried to blame the weed

Of course you'd blame the weed. The same way you'd blame the alcohol if someone did the same thing. Without the intoxication the person wouldn't have accidentally killed themself. I mean, sure, it's "actually" the person's fault, not the weed/alcohol, but you know what I mean.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Of course you'd blame the weed. The same way you'd blame the alcohol if someone did the same thing. Without the intoxication the person wouldn't have accidentally killed themself. I mean, sure, it's "actually" the person's fault, not the weed/alcohol, but you know what I mean.

ok let me clarify then.

the rare freak accident that occurs because of marijuana is not a legitimate reason for it to stay illegal when traffic deaths caused by alcohol are routine.

Reactions: Billdo

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Driving while high is also driving under the influence and is still very dangerous as well. And will probably be on the rise too

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Driving while high is also driving under the influence and is still very dangerous as well. And will probably be on the rise too

yes, and so is driving after taking certain pharmaceuticals which are advertised on network television.

"may cause drowsiness. do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how jardiance affects you."

and that's another thing. these people are selling me shit on TV that's like "oh, may cause severe ulcers which could cause gastrointenstinal complications."

and weed's illegal.

Reactions: Henry Killinger

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think the main reason weed remained/remains illegal is the worry about it being the gateway drug to explore far worse drugs. That was definitely the case in my peer cohort.

Reactions: Darkauron

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I often felt this was a big issue with weed.

There are breathalyzers for booze.

None for weed.

Edit: And while I personally can not smoke and drive. Some people can smoke and drive perfectly fine. And I don't mean that in the way a drunk guy thinks he is OK to drive.

Moreso then alcohol weed effects people differently.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I think the main reason weed remained/remains illegal is the worry about it being the gateway drug to explore far worse drugs. That was definitely the case in my peer cohort.

nope, those are acquired right from your local neighborhood pharmacy via a neat blue slip from your doctor.

refer to my edit

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
nope, those are acquired right from your local neighborhood pharmacy via a neat blue slip from your doctor.

If you agree one happens, it is illogical to believe the other doesn't happen. The mechanism is different, but the result is the same.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
If you agree one happens, it is illogical to believe the other doesn't happen. The mechanism is different, but the result is the same.

i wouldn't call it illogical, as i'm genuinely skeptical of just how much marijuana "withdrawal" would cause one to immediately fiend for cheap opiates a la heroin in a manner similar to when the percocet prescription runs out.

opiates are physically addictive. marijuana is not.

Reactions: devilsblood

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

Alcohol is worse than most drugs. I remember reading a study a while back that basically said that if you were to do X amount of pure cocaine (it was a moderate amount, not something that would kill you) it would have less long term adverse effects on you than if you went out and had Y drinks.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah, having known a few heroin addicts, it all started with painkillers. Either they were prescribed them, or knew someone who sold them, and when those dried up or were too expensive, heroin was the cheaper alternative. The Gateway Drug myth about weed is a leftover from scaremongering old politicians in a moral panic in the '80s and early '90s.

I never did heroin but tried painkillers a few times just for shits and giggles and yeah, completely different experience. If you're smoking weed and thinking, "Hey, maybe I'd like opiates?", you're doing it very wrong. Never was a fan of those painkillers.

Also, for what it's worth, I had gotten those painkillers by prescription for various root canals and other minor surgeries, and they were never better for pain than extra strength ibuprofen. But they throw the prescription at you like it's nothing. No wonder we have a problem.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The Gateway Drug myth about weed is a leftover from scaremongering old politicians in a moral panic in the '80s and early '90s.

If you're smoking weed and thinking, "Hey, maybe I'd like opiates?", you're doing it very wrong. Never was a fan of those painkillers.

But they throw the prescription at you like it's nothing. No wonder we have a problem.

giphy.gif

the "think about the children!" crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henry Killinger

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

that is definitely not the reason. even the national institute on drug abuse won’t make that claim:

Is marijuana a gateway drug?

the actual reason is a lot of reasons. politics, racism, greed (lobbying by pharmaceutical companies, privatized prisons, etc).

when it is finally rescheduled from a schedule 1 drug (lol) and can be tested for further medicinal benefits, i’m betting we find out that we should have done that a loooong time ago. people are going to be pissed, and rightly so

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Alcohol is worse than most drugs. I remember reading a study a while back that basically said that if you were to do X amount of pure cocaine (it was a moderate amount, not something that would kill you) it would have less long term adverse effects on you than if you went out and had Y drinks.
Most pure drugs are not very dangerous, the problem arises when dealers cut/lace their drugs with other stuff. Then you've get interactions between a bunch of different things, and that's when it gets dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->