OT: The Thread About Nothing CCVI: Sitting in the blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
A year or two ago I wrote about how I think the future of the Olympics is in danger given how obscenely expensive they're becoming, as well as the fact the general public has caught on to that.

Well, it may be happening sooner than I thought, as the 2026 Winter Games seem in danger.

Only 3 bids!

Calgary - Vote next month, but apparently there are plenty of Canucks who dont want it.

Stockholm - lack of government support

Italy - lack of government support (and BTW, financial problems)

No plan B for 2026 Winter Games campaign: IOC's Bach | Reuters
It’s not a coincidence that the most of the countries that want to host the World Cup or the Olympics these days are authoritarian ones that want to throw their money around just to say to the outside world that they’ve “made it,” and to use it as propaganda for their citizens. Developing democratic countries don’t want to bother anymore- you can chalk up the Brazilian crisis partially to how much they put up to get both of those events, and South Africa also blew a lot of money for the World Cup and is suffering for it. And forget about developed democracies.

The IOC and FIFA have Scrooge McDuck vaults filled with money and they refuse to spend a dime on setting up their centerpiece events or helping out the countries whose economies have been ravaged after having the “honor” of hosting them. If they’re to survive, they need to pony up the dough.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
It’s not a coincidence that the most of the countries that want to host the World Cup or the Olympics these days are authoritarian ones that want to throw their money around just to say to the outside world that they’ve “made it,” and to use it as propaganda for their citizens. Developing democratic countries don’t want to bother anymore- you can chalk up the Brazilian crisis partially to how much they put up to get both of those events, and South Africa also blew a lot of money for the World Cup and is suffering for it. And forget about developed democracies.

The IOC and FIFA have Scrooge McDuck vaults filled with money and they refuse to spend a dime on setting up their centerpiece events or helping out the countries whose economies have been ravaged after having the “honor” of hosting them. If they’re to survive, they need to pony up the dough.

Nailed it. Although the World Cup is an interesting comparison because the absurd investments nations like South Africa, Brazil, Russia, and Qatar made for the World Cup are far beyond anything the United States would have to invest in hosting the tournament.

We literally have all the stadiums, infrastructure, and accommodations already operating ready to host the World Cup, the fact that we even had to wait until 2026 is absurd, but then you get into the ranting about FIFA corruption, etc. That rabbit hole has been explored enough.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It’s not a coincidence that the most of the countries that want to host the World Cup or the Olympics these days are authoritarian ones that want to throw their money around just to say to the outside world that they’ve “made it,” and to use it as propaganda for their citizens.

I was outraged when Beijing 2008 was selected for an Olympics, I think it represented the zenith of IOC corruption and lack of morals. Then they went to Russia (not quite as bad, but still pretty bad), and now they're going BACK to Beijing in 2022.

The World Cup did Russia this year, which was a horrible disgrace given global events and Russia's cheating scandal. Next they go to Qatar which practices Sharia Law with stonings & lashings, women have few rights, and slavery is just A-okay. But it's no shock FIFA is even worse than IOC.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Nailed it. Although the World Cup is an interesting comparison because the absurd investments nations like South Africa, Brazil, Russia, and Qatar made for the World Cup are far beyond anything the United States would have to invest in hosting the tournament.

We literally have all the stadiums, infrastructure, and accommodations already operating ready to host the World Cup, the fact that we even had to wait until 2026 is absurd, but then you get into the ranting about FIFA corruption, etc. That rabbit hole has been explored enough.
Yeah, you can’t grease palms off of completed stadiums and infrastructure. No matter, FIFA’s getting plenty of money from these two new proposed tournaments backed by Saudi money.

Reactions: New Jersey

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Ok, so I have to go to a costume party for the first time in about 10 years. How much would you all recommend spending on a costume?

images

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
This is very unhelpful as I spend a lot on alcohol. :x I shall like your post anyway though. I shall like your post anyway though for cheek.
I really meant the alcohol required to get you to wear the costume. I mean, it would take a lot for me to put one on.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
a tale of 2 songs……separated at birth

did a one off demolition of some shitass work some amateur did before and took all the lumber….mostly 2x6s (along with a hefty cash payout)

enough to frame a 12' x 7' shelter/shed type thing for lawn tractor and such summer things…….have some sheathing ive collected from other places to clad it…..and a pile of gifted aluminium sliding to finish it left still from coop build

….find it…..use it….. "every raw material"……"one piece at a time"

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Unbelievable another senseless shooting and this time the COWARD walked into a synagogue. They got the POS all other news is yet to come out of it. The political bullshit will follow with gun control, Republicans this and that - Democrats this and that. Expend all that wasted on the above time and place trying to stop this shit.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I dont even understand people who hate the Jewish people. I mean, all universal hate of any group in its' totality is completely illogical, but the Jewish thing strikes me as even weirder than most. It's not like it's a violent religion or extremist etc...

It is just a dumb historical thing that for some reason jewish people are the cause of everything that is bad in the world to some people. It is so ancient and asinine..

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I dont even understand people who hate the Jewish people. I mean, all universal hate of any group in its' totality is completely illogical, but the Jewish thing strikes me as even weirder than most. It's not like it's a violent religion or extremist etc...

There are some, frankly, very horrifying conspiracy theories about Jewish folks that aren't very hard to find (And I say that not to belittle you for potentially not knowing of them, but both as a comment for how accessible it is and how sad it is that it is so prevalent).

Between this guy and the pipe bomb guy, we are starting to see the results of really strong conspiracy theory pushing influencing the wrong people. It's extremely sad.

Reactions: Darkauron

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was just saying this to wife last night.

A universal hate of group of people is mental disorder I think.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

As a Jew myself, it's an interesting topic because Jewish people tend to have a biased, more negative view of non-Jews. This outlook on "goys", the Jewish term for non-Jews (tells you something that there is this term), tends to be more extreme concurrently with how strongly religious a Jewish person is. The orthodox are terrible about this, and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Even in the US, they live in their own communities and have a very negative opinion of non-Jews and even the less religious Jews like myself . Some of them would say I'm not even a Jew because I don't practice the orthodox rituals. It's a very elitist view of themselves. Heck, Jewish people refer to ourselves as "the chosen people". No one likes a person who views themselves as better than everyone. Couple that with some conspiracy theories - like that Jews control the world's financial system - and you'll get people who want to fight it.

One of my good friends from college grew up orthodox, and it totally messed with his mind when he got to college and found out that a lot of the negative things he was told about non-Jews as a kid was a lie. Growing up he only went to Jewish schools, shopped at Jewish owned businesses, and basically never interacted with a non-Jew for the first 18 years of his life. He almost acts like he was raised in a cult. But this is how it's done because in part they view themselves as a better breed of human than non-Jews (though again, this strong line of thinking is basically just among the orthodox). I have other stories as well... Or just look into the school board situation in Lakewood, NJ.

So it's very interesting to me how people hate Jews, but some Jews also completely look down upon other Jews as well. Likewise, the less religious Jews tend to really dislike the orthodox because of this. Negative feelings all around.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
As a Jew myself, it's an interesting topic because Jewish people tend to have a biased, more negative view of non-Jews. This outlook on "goys", the Jewish term for non-Jews (tells you something that there is this term), tends to be more extreme concurrently with how strongly religious a Jewish person is. The orthodox are terrible about this, and it rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Even in the US, they live in their own communities and have a very negative opinion of non-Jews and even the less religious Jews like myself . Some of them would say I'm not even a Jew because I don't practice the orthodox rituals. It's a very elitist view of themselves. Heck, Jewish people refer to ourselves as "the chosen people". No one likes a person who views themselves as better than everyone. Couple that with some conspiracy theories - like that Jews control the world's financial system - and you'll get people who want to fight it.

One of my good friends from college grew up orthodox, and it totally messed with his mind when he got to college and found out that a lot of the negative things he was told about non-Jews as a kid was a lie. Growing up he only went to Jewish schools, shopped at Jewish owned businesses, and basically never interacted with a non-Jew for the first 18 years of his life. He almost acts like he was raised in a cult. But this is how it's done because in part they view themselves as a better breed of human than non-Jews (though again, this strong line of thinking is basically just among the orthodox). I have other stories as well... Or just look into the school board situation in Lakewood, NJ.

So it's very interesting to me how people hate Jews, but some Jews also completely look down upon other Jews as well. Likewise, the less religious Jews tend to really dislike the orthodox because of this. Negative feelings all around.
Unfortunately, racism is alive and well. It comes from all sides.

Although, interestingly, my nephew, who goes to one of the top high schools in the country up in Boston, got into a debate with his teacher when we was taught that ONLY white people can be racist. The teacher was adamant about it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Unfortunately, racism is alive and well. It comes from all sides.

Although, interestingly, my nephew, who goes to one of the top high schools in the country up in Boston, got into a debate with his teacher when we was taught that ONLY white people can be racist. The teacher was adamant about it.

The teacher is a moron. I've met racists of all races, heck one of the most racist people I know is African American. It's such a silly concept. Like why dislike someone because of their race, gender, sexual orientation, etc? What you do has ZERO bearing on me.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Very interesting read.

Religion = Cult I’ve always said.

Some are harmless, others require you to drink the koolaid and look at the flowers.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My longtime ex-girlfriend was half Jewish. One of my clever lines on her early on when she told me she was half Jewish was ''I hope it's just the good half?'' which was Henry's line in Goodfellas when Karen's mom says ''My daughter tells me you're half Jewish'' and his reply was an awkward ''Just the good half!'' since he wasn't really Jewish and was just telling Karen's mother that, as she wouldn't approve of Karen being with a non-Jewish guy.

Of course, my line to her went over her head and she gave me a very hostile ''What's that supposed to mean? Are you a hater of Jews? Are you mocking me?'' and she was a real smartass and very sarcastic, she wasn't really hostile with me, but I thought she was and got very apologetic and told her it was a line from Goodfellas haha. She really gave me a ''You think I'm funny? Funny how? Like a clown? Like I'm here to amuse you?'' moment after that, before revealing she was just giving me a hard time. She had seen Goodfellas before this, but didn't memorize every line like I do.

Her dad was Jewish and her mom was Catholic, but she didn't really practice either, but they did celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah. It was fun because we used to exchange gifts every night for Hanukkah. Mostly little stuff, then something big for Christmas. We were together for over 5 years and talked having a family, so we agreed that it may be in our best interest to not give gifts for the children every night for Hanukkah and then a bunch at Christmas, as it would get very expensive haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad