OT: The Thread About Nothing CCIX: VIEWS [from the 201]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I live in old school Hunterdon County, I would say with no hyperbole that every 3rd house on my road hunts. And that's what stinks about it, there's little opportunity for bucks to get big where I live, you have to hope they make it to a 3rd year & have that big antler growth spurt that season, or that one wanders down from Round Valley or changes its' range. So yeah, maybe I'll got for it if I see him when I'm out there.

Someday I'll get there. I hear that Whitefish area is one of the most amazing places in the nation, and probably an awesome place to move too, not just for the obvious reasons but for forward growth and increasing house prices over the next 20 years. Sadly, however, my wife is a teacher, and Montana practically pays college educated teachers like they're burger flippers, which is just bizarre IMO
It's a tough situation on deciding whether or not to harvest. Ironically, the older I get the less selective I have become. When I was younger hunting in what I knew as Utopia on estates in Bedminster, I was super selective. I could be. I could watch a deer from fawn to monarch in the same field every summer. That is no longer an option, it hasn't been since 2010. In the last 8 hunting seasons since, hunting almost entirely on county lands, I have barely seen a mature buck during daylight hours while on stand. Maybe a handful of decent bucks during that time.

This season I didn't even get my first, second or third choice in Hunterdon county. I stood in line for 4 hours in the middle of the night only to walk away with no permit. I came back the following day and picked up a left over for Hoffman park...I don't like anything I've seen there but I do have a permit for fall and permit. I might not even go hunt there. I have been focusing more on Somerset county.

On Montana: it's an incredible place but I don't think it is financially as advantageous as Wyoming, Idaho or even Utah...but I love Western Montana. It's pretty spectacular. My wife and I considered Hamilton for a while but the prices have become New Jersey-like over the years.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This season I didn't even get my first, second or third choice in Hunterdon county. I stood in line for 4 hours in the middle of the night only to walk away with no permit. I came back the following day and picked up a left over for Hoffman park...I don't like anything I've seen there but I do have a permit for fall and permit. I might not even go hunt there. I have been focusing more on Somerset county.

Not sure what you mean about not liking it, it's a beautiful park, and rather huge. I actually volunteer there during the year. I've never hunted it, or even hung out there during dawn or dusk to see what's there, but I have to imagine it's teeming with deer. It's a giant park, it's in Hunterdon County, there's a bunch of fields & a large pond, and there's lots of woods in between some of the fields. Plus if you look on GOOG satellite you see there's not much around there. In fact, I have no idea why this park seems to be left-over scraps each year with available permits even after all the HC folk get theirs. If I was hunting it I'd probably completely ignore the main area & go to the back entrance and hunt that obscured field away from the walker's path.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not sure what you mean about not liking it, it's a beautiful park, and rather huge. I actually volunteer there during the year. I've never hunted it, or even hung out there during dawn or dusk to see what's there, but I have to imagine it's teeming with deer. It's a giant park, it's in Hunterdon County, there's a bunch of fields & a large pond, and there's lots of woods in between some of the fields. Plus if you look on GOOG satellite you see there's not much around there. In fact, I have no idea why this park seems to be left-over scraps each year with available permits even after all the HC folk get theirs. If I was hunting it I'd probably completely ignore the main area & go to the back entrance and hunt that obscured field away from the walker's path.
I have walked the entire park 3 times since late August and I have been there a total of 8 times since 8/17. First time from the back entrance to the the front entrance and all the paths in between. The second time I was interested in the railroad tracks side of the park from the back entrance up to the trestle. The third time I parked in the main parking lot and walk around the pond toward the east/left. Each time I walked all the trails while crossing sections of woods between main trails. I saw one deer and I saw 1 rub in probably 8 to 10 miles of walking maybe more. There were tons of acorns everywhere...lots of acorns have a tendency to dispurse things a bit but there was so little sign. Even deer trails were on the scarce side.
The harvest report from last year had only one buck taken during permit season, none during fall bow. One during shotgun also. 7 people are allowed in there for each season.

It looks like it should be good but I haven't seen much of anything to get excited about.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The harvest report from last year had only one buck taken during permit season, none during fall bow. One during shotgun also. 7 people are allowed in there for each season.

I know they cobble that data internally because you have to submit your hunting report, but I never knew they release that data publicly. Is there a link to it (I dont see it on the "controlled hunting" page) or do you need to call to request it?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I know they cobble that data internally because you have to submit your hunting report, but I never knew they release that data publicly. Is there a link to it (I dont see it on the "controlled hunting" page) or do you need to call to request it?
They had a sheet they handed out during the application process. You could go to the Arboretum and get a copy.

I don't know of a link. I am pretty sure that the head park ranger just compiled the info in an Excel spreadsheet from the surveys and printed them out.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
You will be happy to know, it is a rational opinion.

I am also a vegetarian, and I don't personally care for hunting, but I also don't have anything against those who do.

I found all that talk on the last few pages about mousetraps and squeamishness interesting. I used to work in a medical research lab and we went through a lot of mice. It's a good thing that mice aren't really sentient like in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or else I'd be considered some kind of mass murderer.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I know we have about 3 resident computer dorks who frequent this thread.

Tonight I'm on Chrome and I have 2 tabs open (1 HFBoards, 1 NJ Devils game stream), but it's kind of laggy, so when I go to investigate I find this:

Chrome-issue.jpg

Any idea what would/could be causing that? I'd expect to only have 2 open, 1 for each tab.

Why Chrome Uses So Much Freaking RAM

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I am also a vegetarian, and I don't personally care for hunting, but I also don't have anything against those who do.

I found all that talk on the last few pages about mousetraps and squeamishness interesting. I used to work in a medical research lab and we went through a lot of mice. It's a good thing that mice aren't really sentient like in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or else I'd be considered some kind of mass murderer.
I think hunting is a more nobel method of attaining meat. I've been a veg for 20 years, and I don't foresee eating meat at any point in the future, but if I did, I think it would be via hunting or fishing.

Still, the question was asked, and I took the opportunity to advocate for that deer.

As per the mouse, medical research is one thing, quite possible I'd have issues if I heard the details, but I def have issues with the glue traps thrown into the sink story.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Speaking of the cancel culture, I love this Onion type article about the Prodigal Son.

Prodigal Son Kicked Back Out After Old Tweets Surface
I deeply appreciated that Arc Media article a few pages back about Dave Chappelle, because it provides a good counterpoint to this piece of shit.

Shane Gillis Is Just the Beginning

First of all, this was written by Seth Simons, the same guy who dug up Shane Gillis's podcast bit that got him fired. He fancies himself as a labor advocate for comedians. The irony is completely lost on him, I'm sure.

The worst part about this article (and there are a bunch of bad things in it, including contradicting no fewer than three points he made) is that it conflates Howard Stern-style shock value with sincere political beliefs. The vast majority of the comedians mentioned in this article are either not conservative or aren't visible about their politics. I've listened to Luis Gomez a couple of times on one of his podcasts because a friend of mine was a guest on the episodes I listened to. I don't find him funny, and I think he's dumb as a rock, but he does not give off a political vibe to me.

You don't have to be on the opposite side of the political spectrum to think that there's something very wrong with the kind of mainstream comedy Seth represents.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I think hunting is a more nobel method of attaining meat. I've been a veg for 20 years, and I don't foresee eating meat at any point in the future, but if I did, I think it would be via hunting or fishing.

I eat meat and I agree with this sentiment. Plus the way factory farming and stuff like that works is truly some horrific stuff. Were I wealthier man, I'd try to eat more free-range and less-cruelty meat, but that's just way too expensive.

Plus, the free-range meat is much better tasting. Go anywhere where you get the meat straight from the farm if you can't hunt it yourself. Chicken actually has a flavor, and it's better than the Tyson crap you get at a supermarket.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I eat meat and I agree with this sentiment. Plus the way factory farming and stuff like that works is truly some horrific stuff. Were I wealthier man, I'd try to eat more free-range and less-cruelty meat, but that's just way too expensive.

Plus, the free-range meat is much better tasting. Go anywhere where you get the meat straight from the farm if you can't hunt it yourself. Chicken actually has a flavor, and it's better than the Tyson crap you get at a supermarket.

It's my believe that the human tongue has five types of taste buds that detect sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and chicken.

It's why everything tastes just like chicken.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
That taste is actually called umami. It is indeed what causes chicken and other proteins to taste meaty.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I just walked into the women's room by accident at a restaurant. There was a woman at the mirror fixing her hair... I had been in the men's room in this place in the past and as soon as I didn't see urnals I panicked a little...the women goes "how's it going". And I just turned around.

Reactions: Davegarri

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I just walked into the women's room by accident at a restaurant. There was a woman at the mirror fixing her hair... I had been in the men's room in this place in the past and as soon as I didn't see urnals I panicked a little...the women goes "how's it going". And I just turned around.
LOL yeah by accident !

Reactions: Davegarri

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

The boss move would have been to use the bathroom anyway, and see if anyone there isn't a complete PC-prisoner & would call you out.

Reactions: Aethon

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think I had heard the name of this band and just completely wrought them off.

But some surprisingly interesting songs. Heard this one on the radio yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->