OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
All the Hemingway House cats and the caretaker are still there apparently.

Dumb. They'll probably be okay on the highest level of that house, IF it survives. It's an older house, clearly not hurricane proof, and if they do get a 12' or more storm surge, well, that will be a night they wont soon forget if they survive.

EDIT: Just heard an update that there is 18" of limestone walls, so even though it's old, it's stronger than I was aware of. Still, that's crazy. Apparently they're going to make one last appeal to her to please leave.

Last edited:

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
So on top of the ridiculous dramatic music, TWC also has crappy infomercials for various cleaning products with the word Hurricane in the title.

The Hurricane mop, the Hurricane scrubber, the Hurricane vacuum.

I only watch the weather channel now if I want a laugh and to be disappointed by humanity.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I only watch the weather channel now if I want a laugh and to be disappointed by humanity.

Some of the Mets still give some good information, but it so wrapped in overproduced nonsense. I haven't even seen Jim Cantore yet.

Watching Anderson Cooper look uncomfortable and wet is much more entertaining at this point. Plus some dude crashed one CNN reporter to tell "**** her in the *****". I was amused

Selling ad time to Billy Mayes best buddy to sell ****** products named after Hurricanes is a bit special.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hope Laconcha holds up. I have reservations for Christmas there.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Stay safe guys, be careful and hopefully by now you have your **** in order to make it through for a week or so after. I stayed on LBI during Sandy and will never forget it.

Check in here when you can and let us know how you're doing.

Thanks dude!

That avatar too!

I think I like this one better than the grinch and Devil TG's! I've gotta send that to my buddy!

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Late start radar loop looks very impressive. Irma regaining her powerful eyewall. I fear this may go Cat 4 again.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I see people bashing the weather channel like always...now we are criticizing ominous music?? No **** they are going to try to make this sound as dangerous as possible, these storms are no joke. Dozens of people died in Texas, who knows how many could die in Florida now. But yes, go and complain about TWC.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I see people bashing the weather channel like always...now we are criticizing ominous music?? No **** they are going to try to make this sound as dangerous as possible, these storms are no joke. Dozens of people died in Texas, who knows how many could die in Florida now. But yes, go and complain about TWC.
I generally agree with you, at least about this storm. At the same time, TWC is a channel that needs ratings, just like any other channel.

With this storm, I understand stressing as much as possible the dangers of it. Although I have seen this same hype and music played when rinky dink tropical storm Jim and its 45 mile per hour winds comes cruising up the Atlantic.

All in all, I can't criticize their coverage too much. This is awful. Sounds like we haven't seen a storm like this in the area in close to a century.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was during the livecam, sure it was recorded by someone. Let me see.

Also saw some homeless guy wandering around Duval Street. Someone eventually went out to help him.

Edit: here is this guy

Only because he wasn't swept out to sea, do I feel like it's appropriate to laugh at this guy a little bit.

Hope he heeded the warning and got the **** out of there.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Only because he wasn't swept out to sea, do I feel like it's appropriate to laugh at this guy a little bit.

Hope he heeded the warning and got the **** out of there.

Southwest Florida is extremely vulnerable to surge, they have not seen a setup like this in a long time if ever. I also fear for Tampa Metro area as well. Looks like the eyewall has been completely replaced now. Strengthening to follow as it heads into the 90 degree waters of the Florida Straits. Not good

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Now I'm worried for my friend in Bradenton Beach. He's an elderly man, although you'd never know it by looking at him or talking to him. He's a young 68 year old, who really thinks he's mortal. He's in a condo off the main drag. He's the kind of crazy ****er that would hang out his balcony or climb the roof during the storm, like Lieutenant Dan on the mast in Forrest Gump. He's a single guy, with some dogs and cats. He's been widowed for 40+ years, as he lost his wife to a rare cancer when she was in her early 20's.

I joked that he could get himself killed. He replied that it's no big deal, as he'll see his wife. I already invited him here, even though I've already got a family of 6 staying here, and more animals than I can count between mine and their family. I don't think he's gonna die, but he could be swimming if he leaves. At least he's on a second floor.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Southwest Florida is extremely vulnerable to surge, they have not seen a setup like this in a long time if ever. I also fear for Tampa Metro area as well. Looks like the eyewall has been completely replaced now. Strengthening to follow as it heads into the 90 degree waters of the Florida Straits. Not good

I remember being optimistic two days ago, not so much now. I'm in an area with a little bit of elevation from sea level, despite being 3 miles from the Gulf. I think my house will be fine, but my friend who is staying here, who lives on the bay, I'm not quite sure about their place. It was built in 1961, so it's seen plenty of storms, but likely nothing this bad.

My house was built in 1980, and this entire neighborhood is from the late 70's-mid 80's. My neighborhood has never seen anything like this before. Current wind is only 15 MPH.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What is Jose's expected track?

Looks like it's just gonna spin around in the Atlantic, to the east of the Bahamas and other islands. Doesn't appear to be posing any threat, unless it stops spinning and heads to the west at some point, beyond the 5 day forecast or if it changes.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
^^^ Anyone near Bradenton beach needs to GTFO.

I'd also add any of the Gulf towns on the other side of the skyway, in Pinellas and Pasco Counties, as well as everywhere south of Bradenton.

My friend's staying with me live in Treasure Island, which is also where I work. I kind of wish I could sleep through it.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
2am update, Irma back to a Cat 4, 130 mph winds, pressure dropping. I expect further intensification over the next 12 hours.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I remember being optimistic two days ago, not so much now. I'm in an area with a little bit of elevation from sea level, despite being 3 miles from the Gulf. I think my house will be fine, but my friend who is staying here, who lives on the bay, I'm not quite sure about their place. It was built in 1961, so it's seen plenty of storms, but likely nothing this bad.

My house was built in 1980, and this entire neighborhood is from the late 70's-mid 80's. My neighborhood has never seen anything like this before. Current wind is only 15 MPH.

I've read experts saying Tampa Bay was not very prepared infastucute wise for a direct hit from major hurricane.

She keeps tracking just a bit more west. That area north of Tampa in that bend could be in for a very rough ride.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
2am update, Irma back to a Cat 4, 130 mph winds, pressure dropping. I expect further intensification over the next 12 hours.

She got a lot healthier in a hurry after looking drunk as **** from Cuba.

East coast Florida is "luckkng out" st the expense of west coast Florida. Panhandle is going to get a worse storm then predicted a couple of days ago. Could still be a Cat 1 by the time it gets to Georgia too

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Dumb. They'll probably be okay on the highest level of that house, IF it survives. It's an older house, clearly not hurricane proof, and if they do get a 12' or more storm surge, well, that will be a night they wont soon forget if they survive.

EDIT: Just heard an update that there is 18" of limestone walls, so even though it's old, it's stronger than I was aware of. Still, that's crazy. Apparently they're going to make one last appeal to her to please leave.

Her age concerns me the most. It wouldn't take much for something to go wrong, and help isn't going to get there in a hurry.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It was during the livecam, sure it was recorded by someone. Let me see.

Also saw some homeless guy wandering around Duval Street. Someone eventually went out to help him.

Edit: here is this guy

:laugh: thank you.

Just woke up from a few hours of sleep to my dogs whining. Seeing elevated winds and getting bands of rain now.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Yes, yes, that's it. They're doing it out of benevolent kindness and a healthy esprit for human life.

Are you serious with this?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
She got a lot healthier in a hurry after looking drunk as **** from Cuba.

It could have been a LOT worse considering it went over that bathwater. It didn't strengthen meaningfully given the h2o temps were ~90 degrees. It's basically a strong Cat 3 now at 128mph just shy of Cat 4, but people thought it could get all the way back to Cat 5, and at that point 20mph or 30mph differences in wind make a big difference.

East coast Florida is "luckkng out" st the expense of west coast Florida. Panhandle is going to get a worse storm then predicted a couple of days ago. Could still be a Cat 1 by the time it gets to Georgia too

But for most, this is about the best case scenario in terms of least impact to 'x' millions of people compared to what the impact could have been a few days ago. The central/western Keys are sadly going to get ROCKED with ~120mph winds and huge storm surge though. :(

EDIT: They just got an accurate reading from the weather station at National Key Deer Refuge, 106mph. That's on Big Pine Key, very close to Key West.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
As for the TV watching of Irma, if you have DirecTv, you should watch the "SevereWeatherHD" channel, which is 362.

It switches between locals on about a 3 or 4 minute loop, so you get a good feel for how this is playing out and conditions in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Fort Myers, Key Largo, W.P.B., etc...

Way better than the fear-mongers on TWC. And 361 is "SevereWeather Mix" channel, which is like NFL Sunday Ticket that has 4 weather dedicated stations on one screen, which is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->