OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
CNN again interviewing people in the Keys who say they're staying, even at sea level with a predicted 8' to 11' storm surge.

I refuse to be "taken", and I almost have to believe these people are either "plants" (hey CNN has been recently caught doing this exact "fake" journalism a few months back) or are full of crap and BS'ing just to get on TV.

There are reports all over though of people refusing to leave. It isn't just CNN.

The governer was basically begging people left on the Keys to GTFO. We will know for sure when the bodies wash up on Monday.

Live cams on the streets of Key West and you can still see people wandering around. There are absolutely people still there that should not be there.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Live cams on the streets of Key West and you can still see people wandering around. There are absolutely people still there that should not be there.

You sure?

Reading this I just checked the live shot of Mallory Square, and even that's empty. Not a single human being.

http://www.fla-keys.com/webcams/mallory-square/

Same as Duval Street, which is the main drag (figuratively & literally) in Key West.

http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/

Another section of Duval Street, this time outside of Irish Kevin's.

https://irishkevins.com/web-cam/street/

Nobody's at the Southernmost Point. And there' ALWAYS some dumb-ass tourists at the Southernmost Point (guilty...hey, it was my first time in the Keys. I wasnt sober, and I'm hugging the buoy. Spring Break is a helluva drug).

http://southernmostpointwebcam.com/

I checked a bunch of these live cams from all over the FL Keys (link below), and I literally haven't found a single person. I really think this is largely a media fabrication, trying to BS-up the story.

http://www.fla-keys.com/webcams/

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You sure?

Reading this I just checked the live shot of Mallory Square, and even that's empty. Not a single human being.

http://www.fla-keys.com/webcams/mallory-square/

Same as Duval Street, which is the main drag (figuratively & literally) in Key West.

http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/

Nobody's at the Southernmost Point. And there' ALWAYS some dumb-ass tourists at the Southernmost Point (guilty...hey, it was my first time in the Keys. I wasnt sober, and I'm hugging the buoy. Spring Break is a helluva drug).

http://southernmostpointwebcam.com/

I checked a bunch of these live cams from all over the FL Keys (link below), and I literally haven't found a single person. I really think this is largely a media fabrication, trying to BS-up the story.

http://www.fla-keys.com/webcams/

People have been watching them all day and folks with kids have been walking by.

Majority of people are definitely gone, but it seems you still have a few hundred people scattered across the islands.

NWC Key West put out a strong warning to get out about a hour ago. Governer has been urging people down there to leave along with other officials.

I don't see a good reason why government officials would make up people not leaving. Especially since every storm always has morons that think they can ride it out.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Was just looking at Duval Cam it looks like a ghost town.

Friday night to boot.

There'd normally be hundreds of people in that live web shot.

As well as several dogs, a lizard, a snake, and at least 2 or 3 parrots (and if you've never been there, I'm not even kidding, super-serial).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Friday night to boot.

There'd normally be hundreds of people in that live web shot.

As well as several dogs, a lizard, a snake, and at least 2 or 3 parrots (and if you've never been there, I'm not even kidding, super-serial).

I go at least once a year :). Key West is fun for a short time but I'm much more of a middle Key kinda guy...like Islamorada. Key West is like sensory overload after getting chill in the middle Keys.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
CNN again interviewing people in the Keys who say they're staying, even at sea level with a predicted 8' to 11' storm surge.

I refuse to be "taken", and I almost have to believe these people are either "plants" (hey CNN has been recently caught doing this exact "fake" journalism a few months back) or are full of crap and BS'ing just to get on TV.

There are always a few crazies. I'd actually be surprised if 100% of the people got out of there.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm much more of a middle Key kinda guy...like Islamorada.

Me too. Agree 100%. I dont even go to Key West anymore, unless I'm with a "1st timer" in the Keys, in which case I feel like it's my duty to expose him/her to everything. Somebodies gotta' do it. :nod:

Would you ride a storm out like this for a pet?

No, but I get it.

My sister lives in DT Houston, and was on "pet patrol" for a week, setting up crates, documenting pets, handing out towels & leashes etc....

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I should go to bed I have to be in a tree in 4 hours but I'm all hoped up from the prospect game and hurricane coverage that I have been watching non-stop for 2 days.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I should go to bed I have to be in a tree in 4 hours but I'm all hoped up from the prospect game and hurricane coverage that I have been watching non-stop for 2 days.

Meh.... EAB blows, unless you have a monster 10 point on camera, or are empty in the chest freezer, I just dont get it.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
We're looking at the newly incoming footage being posted on Youtube from St. Thomas, and it's remarkable.

It's a total crapshoot depending on where on the island you lived. Parts of the island have bad damage, windows blown out, some roof tiles gone, but then other parts the entire roof is gone and there's total chaos. 100% unpredictable.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Some local took a video of him riding down Duval about a hour ago. Ghost town of tourists but some bars still open and maybe about 50+ locals still chilling.

The dude that made it said he isn't leaving.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Meh.... EAB blows, unless you have a monster 10 point on camera, or are empty in the chest freezer, I just dont get it.

EAB does suck...but Huntetdon Parks enforces it for all seasons. You have to take a doe before a buck in fall, permit and winter bow.

That really sucks.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I have absolutely nothing on camera this year, it's weird, so I may consider going the Hunterdon County resident route on October 18th, especially if I could get the property that adjoins where I live.

Only problem is, from what I hear it's ridiculous and you need to get there at like 4am for gun seasons. Any idea if that's really true? Seems like urban legend.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh yeah.... you did it again? Where'd you get this year?

Small patch of South Branch Preserve. Not what I wanted but it's a first come first serve deal and Hunterdon County residents get first dibbs.

Lot's were sold out this year, more than usual I think.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wow, you're lucky. Good to hear. The folks around you at < 8 feet might get a rude awakening.
It's good because after I moved here, everybody was telling me that this was one of the best areas of town to live in, due to being quite a few feet above sea level. I never really thought about it or looked into the exact elevation, other than knowing it wasn't in a flood zone. So I got lucky. I'm just 3 miles from the Gulf, but far enough away to be tucked into a pretty safe from flooding area.

My friend that's coming to stay with me, he used to live a couple blocks from here. Then he sold and made a decent profit on his original purchase, and bought a house on the bay in 2009, after the bubble burst and got the house for under a half a million. This is the first time that he wishes he didn't move.
I would definitely be ready for power outages and downed debris.

Your friends house might be in a rough spot with the storm surge, how rough depends on the storm's final track.
He has a generator and is bringing it over and we're hooking it up tomorrow. We'll at least have power to the kitchen and living room.
Just keep your eyes on this Bleed. It seems to keep jodging a bit west which means worse conditions for the Tampa area.
I'm actually starting to be more worried about a tree falling on one of my vehicles and totaling them, than damage to the house. They have full coverage, but I'd hate needing to find another reliable vehicle for the money I got back.

Just 12 hours ago, it looked like Miami/Southeast Florida was getting wiped off the map. Now it's looking like the Southwest part will get the worst of it, and Tampa might actually make out worse than Miami.

I knew this was bound to happen when I moved from Jersey 6 years ago. Especially after seeing Irene and Sandy make landfall in Jersey, where it's so rare for a hurricane to make landfall. I knew by moving here, I was signing up for a hurricane rolling through. So I'm (unfortunately) ready for it.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Small patch of South Branch Preserve.

I know that well.

I volunteer there hanging new & cleaning out old bluebird boxes. Yes, it's "small", but there are LOTS of deer there. Put in a camera along the water and I wouldnt be surprised if something nice is lurking there.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We're looking at the newly incoming footage being posted on Youtube from St. Thomas, and it's remarkable.

It's a total crapshoot depending on where on the island you lived. Parts of the island have bad damage, windows blown out, some roof tiles gone, but then other parts the entire roof is gone and there's total chaos. 100% unpredictable.

I was thinking about taking some video of outside my house, if it gets bad enough. I just wouldn't want my video to end up on some site. A video went viral the other day from Barbuda, but it turned out that the footage was actually from a tornado there from some other time, and not from Irma. It was still being passed around the internet and advertised as Irma.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was thinking about taking some video of outside my house, if it gets bad enough. I just wouldn't want my video to end up on some site. A video went viral the other day from Barbuda, but it turned out that the footage was actually from a tornado there from some other time, and not from Irma. It was still being passed around the internet and advertised as Irma.

Still forecasted to be worst for the folks in Naples, but it will suck for almost everyone and it won't take much of a jog west or east to move the worst back to Miami or up to Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad