OT: The Thread About Nada Thing Part 202 (Not Much going on these days) Pfffffft

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The science agenda isn't as biased as you would think.

Climate scientists are rightfully being very cagey on the question if these last two hurricanes were caused by climate change. At most they will just say "probably, but we need more studies". No one is saying definitively yes.

Also the question isn't whether hurricanes would exist without climate change. We know they would. The question is if a warmer planet, one warmed by the effects of man, are adding either frequency or intensity to storms.

If climate change causes Harvey to dump 5 more inches of rain, or Irma to have winds 10 MPh higher, we need to know.

Edit: Meanwhile the entire PNW is on fire.

Yeah but then some oil companies that make billions will make a few less billions and WE CAN'T HAVE THAT CAN WE?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm going out to Yellowstone next week. With all the natural disasters recently I wouldn't be surprised if the caldera decided to blow as soon as I entered the park lol

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My company has our customer conference coming up next week.... in Orlando. We're currently on a call trying to decide if we move ahead with this or not. Of course the hotel and conference center are like "Oh we're going to be ready to hold your conference, so even if nobody can get in or the area is completely flooded, we're not giving you any refund." But obviously we don't want to force our customers to have to try and make it in. And it also would feel selfish if we're having this conference with food and drinks while people outside are homeless and in need of supplies.... Quite a mess

By the time it reaches Orlando it will hopefully be Cat 2, maybe Cat 3. I actually think it probably would be fine to have the conference logistically (MCO up and running fine, Rosen hotels/buildings and conference center having very little damage, etc..).

The problem I think you could run into is how insane is everyone going to act when they see devastation in "Florida" and lack the geography skills to realize Miami is 200 miles from Orlando.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
My company has our customer conference coming up next week.... in Orlando. We're currently on a call trying to decide if we move ahead with this or not. Of course the hotel and conference center are like "Oh we're going to be ready to hold your conference, so even if nobody can get in or the area is completely flooded, we're not giving you any refund." But obviously we don't want to force our customers to have to try and make it in. And it also would feel selfish if we're having this conference with food and drinks while people outside are homeless and in need of supplies.... Quite a mess

Good luck with that. That is not going to be an easy decision. Depending on when next week it is, it should be fine. But as you said, it will make you feel bad about having the food and drinks there while people around are homeless and without some basic necessities.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm going out to Yellowstone next week. With all the natural disasters recently I wouldn't be surprised if the caldera decided to blow as soon as I entered the park lol

Yay! Make your way down to Jackson....If you do please stop at Dornan's and have a beer on the roof deck...Moose often show up in September. The deck has one of the most gorgeous veiws of the Grand (Grand Tetons) and overlooks the Snake River which only a stone's throw away.

You will not be disappointed, trust me. Do an image search and take a look at the view. One of the most awe inspiring views I've ever seen.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The science agenda isn't as biased as you would think.

Climate scientists are rightfully being very cagey on the question if these last two hurricanes were caused by climate change. At most they will just say "probably, but we need more studies". No one is saying definitively yes.

Also the question isn't whether hurricanes would exist without climate change. We know they would. The question is if a warmer planet, one warmed by the effects of man, are adding either frequency or intensity to storms.

If climate change causes Harvey to dump 5 more inches of rain, or Irma to have winds 10 MPh higher, we need to know.

Edit: Meanwhile the entire PNW is on fire.
That's not really how it works though. Specific weather events can not be said to be directly caused by the change in climate. The relation is in the trends.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That's not really how it works though. Specific weather events can not be said to be directly caused by the change in climate. The relation is in the trends.

Yes, that drives me nuts; but as others have said, the entire subject can drive you nuts.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Big thoughts and prayers to the people in Florida and in Irma's path.
Especially to Bleed and our other fans that post here.

Be safe fellas.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
By the time it reaches Orlando it will hopefully be Cat 2, maybe Cat 3. I actually think it probably would be fine to have the conference logistically (MCO up and running fine, Rosen hotels/buildings and conference center having very little damage, etc..).

The problem I think you could run into is how insane is everyone going to act when they see devastation in "Florida" and lack the geography skills to realize Miami is 200 miles from Orlando.

Yup that's basically what management decided on the call. They're guessing that it'll be pretty much back to standard operation by mid-day Tuesday. So we're still on as of now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Big thoughts and prayers to the people in Florida and in Irma's path.
Especially to Bleed and our other fans that post here.

Be safe fellas.

Thanks DD! Much appreciated!:nod:

I'm pretty optimistic that I'll be fine. I'm concerned about some others, that are right on or up against the water. I'm glad my friend will be coming to stay, as his entire street will probably have some flooding.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Irma_Disney.jpg

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm concerned about some others, that are right on or up against the water.

My grandfather's former house (now rented) is right on the water (intercoastal). The tenants are going to move safely inland with family tonight, but I'm dreading a flood situation that wrecks the place. :(

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
My grandfather's former house (now rented) is right on the water (intercoastal). The tenants are going to move safely inland with family tonight, but I'm dreading a flood situation that wrecks the place. :(
I definitely wouldn't wanna be on the water. Even if you make out alright with your home, you could have your vehicle totaled by flood, if it's out there on the street. Happened to my friend in Galveston, Texas a few years back, during that hurricane they had in 2008.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So I just had a screen pop up that said it was a microsoft alert, and that I had been infected with a virus that was stealing my info. It then said it would shut my computer down if I left the page. Said I needed to call microsoft and they would walk me through the process of getting rid of the virus.

Well I did leave the page, and my computer did not shut off.

This was a scam ya?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

My chick's sister recently bought a couple houses on the key's.

Paid cash I believe, not sure what level of insurance, if any they have.

Does not appear that will prove to be a good investment.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My chick's sister recently bought a couple houses on the key's.

Paid cash I believe
, not sure what level of insurance, if any they have.

Does not appear that will prove to be a good investment.

Is she married? Does she want to be?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
So I just had a screen pop up that said it was a microsoft alert, and that I had been infected with a virus that was stealing my info. It then said it would shut my computer down if I left the page. Said I needed to call microsoft and they would walk me through the process of getting rid of the virus.

This was a scam ya?

Yes it was. It is pretty harmless really and very common. Microsoft would never do anything like that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Anybody playing the Governor Rick Scott drinking game... Everytime he says "we can't Rebuild your life" you have to drink?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

This was a scam ya?

Very much so.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Tell ya' what though, some of these phishing scams are getting incredibly impressive and frighteningly believable if you're not paying attention. Perfectly mirroring an actual PayPal or legitimate bank's banking screen, etc....

I just know my elderly mother's going to get taken-in by one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Storm tracking a bit further west. Slightly better news for the eastern side of Florida, terrible news for western coasts of Florida.

Places like Naples and Fort Myers will get wrecked, and Tampa is in for a rough go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad