OT: The Thread About Nada Thing Part 202 (Not Much going on these days) Pfffffft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Him and a current politician who fancies himself a talk radio host are about the only ones who could take Carton's spot and make me loathe the morning show even worse, and I like Boomer despite his being a Ranger fan. But it'd be nice if his next partner wasn't a TOTAL heel.

I can't stand ESPN NY, but they must be chomping st the bit with this and Mike leaving.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Which contradicts a lot of people pushing the global warming agenda would have you believe? I'm not trying to open that can of worms though. I will say I do believe global warming and climate change are a real issue, I will not however blame the natural "disasters" and weather events on it.

It's hard to say. Several scientists hypothesized that the number of storms wouldn't necessarily increase, but the intensity and size of the average storm would.

We can barely predict the weather 1 day in advance. Attempting to guess what would happen to global weather patterns given shifts in the global climate is really just that; guess work. Not to say it's not based on our current best scientific predictive data, but it's almost impossible to predict something with as many variables as the weather.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's hard to say. Several scientists hypothesized that the number of storms wouldn't necessarily increase, but the intensity and size of the average storm would.

We can barely predict the weather 1 day in advance. Attempting to guess what would happen to global weather patterns given shifts in the global climate is really just that; guess work. Not to say it's not based on our current best scientific predictive data, but it's almost impossible to predict something with as many variables as the weather.

And yet weather, is just one variability of climate...and a variability model that is slightly off changes the global mean significantly...

Over the last 3 years or so I have done my very best to understand climate science... Ive read peer reviewed papers from NASA and various universities as much as I could... I tried to focus on understanding the methods and the math, although finding that information is sometimes a challenge in itself...and what I've found is everything is so ****ing political and agenda driven it's hard to decipher truth. Most of the stuff seems more like policy papers than scientific research. When a "scientific" journal focuses more on a tax credit scheme than data used to come to a conclusion my Spidey senses go haywire. And I'm finding social engineering and science are being so intermingled it's hard to differentiate.

This is sort of a synopsis of how I came to the conclusion that I just don't give a ****.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
And yet weather, is just one variability of climate...and a variability model that is slightly off changes the global mean significantly...

Over the last 3 years or so I have done my very best to understand climate science... Ive read peer reviewed papers from NASA and various universities as much as I could... I tried to focus on understanding the methods and the math, although finding that information is sometimes a challenge in itself...and what I've found is everything is so ****ing political and agenda driven it's hard to decipher truth. Most of the stuff seems more like policy papers than scientific research. When a "scientific" journal focuses more on a tax credit scheme than data used to come to a conclusion my Spidey senses go haywire. And I'm finding social engineering and science are being so intermingled it's hard to differentiate.

This is sort of a synopsis of how I came to the conclusion that I just don't give a ****.

Politics and religion will destroy this world.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Donating to needy causes is great and thank you FJG for being the type to care about others. The Red Cross and Goodwill are just scam businesses hiding behind the unfortunate. I believe the Red Cross gives 8 cents on the dollar back to whatever cause you are donating to. All the while their CEO makes millions of dollars a year. The biggest argument to this is that they are handling so much money that they should be able to have high paid employees but that's a terrible excuse when there are "competing" charities that have their CEOs make nothing or well under 50K a year.

Thank you :) :handclap:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
He got fired from 101.5 for trashing Richard Codey's wife's postpartum depression

Is that right? I never knew that. I thought he left 101.5 to take the FAN job.

I don't see Boomer being there a year from now. Why go through the growing pains of another partner? He has plenty of other gigs going with the NFL.

I'm not so sure. He might relish having more freedom now. Carlton was very domineering and controlling re: content, etc...

Which is not to say you point to a specific storm and say "look global warming", but if there is global warming, expect there to be more and bigger storms.

Well, you're correct, that is precisely what the theory holds, but as a point of fact it's worth noting, that globally, this has not actually occurred.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

That's about how I view it. Frankly as a science, it's so very nascent, to the point where I'm confounded how arrogant some of the climatologists act about it, despite a charitably poor record. That's not to say we throw-up our hands and ever quit on science, but it is to say that a healthy dose of skepticism, or at very least "record tracking" of one's results, should not be belittled or swept under the carpet.

what I've found is everything is so ****ing political and agenda driven it's hard to decipher truth. Most of the stuff seems more like policy papers than scientific research. When a "scientific" journal focuses more on a tax credit scheme than data used to come to a conclusion my Spidey senses go haywire. And I'm finding social engineering and science are being so intermingled it's hard to differentiate.

QFT (and very sad). And it's on both sides of the issue.

From entities with vested interest at blocking AGM theory for the pursuit of money, to the actual pro AGM theory "climate experts" at the IPCC with their hands several times caught in the data-manipulating cookie jar.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well, you're correct, that is precisely what the theory holds, but as a point of fact it's worth noting, that globally, this has not actually occurred.

Well maybe.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/top10.asp

Without breaking it down there seems to be a large # of big cyclone seasons since the 90's. Though not sure where the satellite era begins.

And while the states have not been hit by a major hurricane in the past 12 years prior to this one, that does not mean the hurricanes were not out there. Last year for instance Mathew just skirted Fl without hitting as a major hurricane, and when it did officially hit it was no longer a major hurricane.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Without breaking it down there seems to be a large # of big cyclone seasons since the 90's. Though not sure where the satellite era begins.

That's a huge problem with this data set. Until relatively recently, nobody would have known about a hurricane for the fishes, and 70% of the earth is h2o. It's unintentionally biased data.

That's actually a huge problem with a lot of the weather phenomena headlines that you hear, such as "lowest Arctic ice in history" or "nearly the lowest Arctic ice in history", which gets repeated a lot. I mean...A...LOT. Yet how often is the reader / listener simultaneously informed that accurate Arctic ice records only go back to 1979? Answer: Never. They don't tell the reader / listener that critical bit of information, because they want you to believe it's a 10,000,000 year old record. But that data isnt even as old as Ashton Kutcher on a planet literally billions of years old. Which gets us right back to the political agenda thing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Man 2005 was quite the Hurricane season.

Back on Irma. The Euro currently has it doing a worst case track and bringing Hurricane force winds up the entire Florida peninsula

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Back on Irma. The Euro currently has it doing a worst case track and bringing Hurricane force winds up the entire Florida peninsula

zzBj77Gr.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did you get your gas and water, Bleed?

Went to attempt to get some on my way back home from work. Every station had a line of some kind. Still have over half a tank and have about 10 gallons in my truck, that I can siphon if absolutely necessary.

There was a sale on Deer Park water a few weeks back, I literally have four cases left!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I think there is good research being done out there, and the fruits of the research are fascinating. However, there is no doubt that a very large portion of the research was funded by groups with specific agendas with the distinct purpose of pushing that agenda. It's one hell of a pain to sift through that to get to the relatively unbiased "good" science. I care, and I find the research very interesting, but it's a case where I find it tiring at the same time. It's virtually impossible to talk about without it evolving into a vacuous hole of political garbage that I will literally never, ever be interested in.

Basically, I agree with you, but haven't quite it the stage of not giving a damn yet. And I don't want to because I feel it's worth not being apathetic about. We just need to get the political and religious motivation out of scientific funding and research when it comes to these "hot button topics". Just let science be science.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Went to attempt to get some on my way back home from work. Every station had a line of some kind. Still have over half a tank and have about 10 gallons in my truck, that I can siphon if absolutely necessary.

There was a sale on Deer Park water a few weeks back, I literally have four cases left!

Don't mess around. Sounds like the old state outside the panhandle is going to get wrecked.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There is little that matters to me more than fish and wildlife. I grew up with a great grandfather (JimE-1) that drilled into me the importance of stewardship, conservation, leave no trace and the overall importance of our part in the environment.

So it's almost impossible for me not to give a damn...all I can do is my part to the best of my ability. When I say "I don't give a ****" I specifically mean the current political discussion.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There is little that matters to me more than fish and wildlife. I grew up with a great grandfather (JimE-1) that drilled into me the importance of stewardship, conservation, leave no trace and the overall importance of our part in the environment.

So it's almost impossible for me not to give a damn...all I can do is my part to the best of my ability. When I say "I don't give a ****" I specifically mean the current political discussion.

We can agree completely on that. 100%. It's funny how that offends some people, but I really don't have a single neuron to devote to processing any politically based thought.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't mess around. Sounds like the old state outside the panhandle is going to get wrecked.
I've decided to stay put. My best friend down here lives pretty much on the water, it's almost like a little canal that leads to the bay. I gave him and his family a choice of whether they wanna evacuate somewhere way inland, or come to my place, which is at least a few miles inland. They have pets, so I told them just to come here and bring the animals and the 4 kids, rather than search for a hotel that allows pets. Their street will likely flood and destroy their cars, if they leave them parked out there on their street.

His wife works as an RN at a hospital, and has already offered to work and stay mostly on duty, since quite a few will probably call out.

He's even got a generator that he's bringing over, and they'll be coming by tomorrow night or Saturday. I love the company and have a bit of room, so I'd gladly put them up. Him and his wife do a lot for me, like watch my pets when I go out of town for two weeks every August. I expect we'll probably lose power, but we're safe in here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The science agenda isn't as biased as you would think.

Climate scientists are rightfully being very cagey on the question if these last two hurricanes were caused by climate change. At most they will just say "probably, but we need more studies". No one is saying definitively yes.

Also the question isn't whether hurricanes would exist without climate change. We know they would. The question is if a warmer planet, one warmed by the effects of man, are adding either frequency or intensity to storms.

If climate change causes Harvey to dump 5 more inches of rain, or Irma to have winds 10 MPh higher, we need to know.

Edit: Meanwhile the entire PNW is on fire.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
My company has our customer conference coming up next week.... in Orlando. We're currently on a call trying to decide if we move ahead with this or not. Of course the hotel and conference center are like "Oh we're going to be ready to hold your conference, so even if nobody can get in or the area is completely flooded, we're not giving you any refund." But obviously we don't want to force our customers to have to try and make it in. And it also would feel selfish if we're having this conference with food and drinks while people outside are homeless and in need of supplies.... Quite a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad