The team's biggest problem...

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Is what?

Pisspoor record, and several (most) things going wrong regarding the state of the team THIS SEASON, at THIS moment in time.

Putting aside the sporadic or minimal bright spots, and somewhat disregarding the last two games in which we played fairly decently in both (against two solid opponents, mind you), what do you point to as the biggest factor or reasoning behind our awful record?

Coaching? Veterans sucking? Defensive zone play from our forwards? Obviously curious to see what surfaces as the majority opinion, if anything.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Is what?

Pisspoor record, and several (most) things going wrong regarding the state of the team THIS SEASON, at THIS moment in time.

Putting aside the sporadic or minimal bright spots, and somewhat disregarding the last two games in which we played fairly decently in both (against two solid opponents, mind you), what do you point to as the biggest factor or reasoning behind our awful record?

Coaching? Veterans sucking? Defensive zone play from our forwards? Obviously curious to see what surfaces as the majority opinion, if anything.

coaching mainly and a lack of solid veteran leadership outside of Ott(a notorious hot head). Vanek/poms/Moulson/Hodgson/Ehrhoff/Leopold/Gaustad etc etc none of those names strike me as guys known for leadership and yet thats the core of our leadership the past few years. I wish we had been more successful in free agency to blend a few solid leadership characters with our young guys as well as better coaching...the effort is there...the talent is there...Miller is there to keep us in it...idk just my 2 cents not that it means much

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Cody Hodgson. :sarcasm:

Whether or not it falls on coaching remains to be seen, but this team's forwards are awful defensively. That's a major contributing factor to Buffalo's crap possession numbers. No support.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
This will sound like a vote for coaching, but specifically I see two things that I think they need to be better at.

1. Speed of play
2. Engaging physically

Whether it is because they are young or have bad practicing habits, the opponent always seems more comfortable at playing at a higher pace. I'm not suggesting our players need to be faster. I am saying the game needs to begin slowing down for them. Obviously for many of them more games in the NHl will help, but I would suggest practicing at an an alarming rate whether that causes them to make more mistakes at first or not. Eventually they will be comfortable at that speed and the game will be easier for them to handle and make better decisions. Right now every time they have the puck they look rushed.

I've seen it a lot, but last night's game against the Kings seemed to scream fear of physicality. And I don't mean they players won't throw hits or stand up for their teammates. I mean too many won't battle for the puck at every opportunity. They are more likely going to just chop their stick at the puck a few times and keep skating than use their body to gain position and possession. Part of that is coaching for sure, but on a play wear Hodgson has the puck down low and could make a play on the goalie he could have easily put his body between the defender and the puck right in front of the net and doesn't. Even when they do engage like Stafford defending on several occasions he just gets over powered. That's not coaching, that is heart and brute strength. You have to want it more than the other guy.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
coaching mainly and a lack of solid veteran leadership outside of Ott(a notorious hot head). Vanek/poms/Moulson/Hodgson/Ehrhoff/Leopold/Gaustad etc etc none of those names strike me as guys known for leadership and yet thats the core of our leadership the past few years. I wish we had been more successful in free agency to blend a few solid leadership characters with our young guys as well as better coaching...the effort is there...the talent is there...Miller is there to keep us in it...idk just my 2 cents not that it means much

Hodgson is 23, in his 3rd NHL season, and has been known for his leadership in the past. I wouldn't group him in that category. At least not yet.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Hodgson is 23, in his 3rd NHL season, and has been known for his leadership in the past. I wouldn't group him in that category. At least not yet.

How Hodgson is in that category is beyond me. Leadership has been a staple in his game and he's been praised for it since juniors.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This will sound like a vote for coaching, but specifically I see two things that I think they need to be better at.

1. Speed of play
2. Engaging physically

Whether it is because they are young or have bad practicing habits, the opponent always seems more comfortable at playing at a higher pace. I'm not suggesting our players need to be faster. I am saying the game needs to begin slowing down for them. Obviously for many of them more games in the NHl will help, but I would suggest practicing at an an alarming rate whether that causes them to make more mistakes at first or not. Eventually they will be comfortable at that speed and the game will be easier for them to handle and make better decisions. Right now every time they have the puck they look rushed.

I've seen it a lot, but last night's game against the Kings seemed to scream fear of physicality. And I don't mean they players won't throw hits or stand up for their teammates. I mean too many won't battle for the puck at every opportunity. They are more likely going to just chop their stick at the puck a few times and keep skating than use their body to gain position and possession. Part of that is coaching for sure, but on a play wear Hodgson has the puck down low and could make a play on the goalie he could have easily put his body between the defender and the puck right in front of the net and doesn't. Even when they do engage like Stafford defending on several occasions he just gets over powered. That's not coaching, that is heart and brute strength. You have to want it more than the other guy.

This is spot on, at least the first part. I don't know about the physicality I don't think they have looked terrible in that regard, but you're absolutely right about the speed.

Guys either take too long to make decisions or are overwhelmed by the speed of the opponent. That is why our possession is terrible. That is why we can't get pucks out of our own zone or keep them in theirs. That is why we all like Pysyk, because he is calm and can play at the the NHL speed, while at times Myers looks in over his head. Its less about skill and more about poise at this point.

Robls

Sep 17, 2007

1. Speed of play
2. Engaging physically

Point one is spot on. Have watched a lot of different teams this year(basically all 30 of them), and Buffalo is in the bottom 3rd in terms of team speed and quickness.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Worst issue of many? Probably poor defensive zone coverage/scheme. They so rarely control the puck from their own zone, that they have execute so little forecheck most of the time is simply another layer of bad.

Ghost of Dale Hunter

Feb 27, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site
Is what?

It is that they can't put the puck in the net enough. I believe everything else revolves around that.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Our best forwards are horrible possession players and shouldn't be an NHL teams best forwards, our defense is ridiculously young, and Ville Leino.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Biggest problem is that we have five to seven kids under 21 at this point. It does not matter how much they are skilled they need seasoning, which they are getting right now. Buffalo is the youngest team in the league. Did you honestly expect a different result for this season?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
77009581.jpg

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The team's biggest problem...

is poor hockey management decisions (hiring of Rolston for one).

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
no core, just add ons.

the D is way too Young and on the Offense we don't have anyone with elite Talent.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
There is so much to choose from... It's like a buffet of suck.

Here's one that can also come back to coaching... the GD Power Play.

Can't gain the zone, little to no shots. Opposing team gets energized from the kill and it screws up our lines for a few shifts. We're operating at 12.7% (25th in the league).

It may be a stretch, but if our PP was average (17.5% roughly)... we'd be near .500 for the season (of course, we may have found other ways to lose). Faceoffs, puck possession, and overall lack of team speed contribute to the Powerless Play. Integrys energy needs to up the power behind the Buffalo Sabres.

MayDayMayDay

Out here doing time bandit shit...
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Like Jame said: inexperience, but couple that (I think) with a lack of leadership. Give it time and a solid couple of drafts, both issues will find a resolution.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If this team didn't have to play the other 29 NHL teams theyd be much better.

What's the biggest problem? The roster isn't good enough. Scotty Bowman proved you can't win without talent. Ruff couldn't do it, I certainly didn't expect Rolston to do it, and for at least (hopefully only) two more years I don't expect anyone else to do it. There's a handful of guys doing it right but when 1/3 of line has the right pieces the 1 guy is gonna suck with the rest of them. Hodgson probably isn't as bad if Rolston has a shut down line or pairing to protect him. The D's youth probably isn't as exposed with a team not in the bottom 3 in scoring. Coaching doesn't look so ****** when there's a balanced team on the ice.

If I had to be specific the roster problems go straight through center ice.
#1c: Hodgson can't defend other #1s
#2c: I forget whose playing it this week, that's a problem
#3c: Larsson is filthy rookie and probably the only 1 of the 4 doing his job on a night to night basis
#4c: when I think about this spot Grigorenko is the first name I cone up with, that blows

It's a bad team, bad is bad, you have to improve the roster before we can evaluate the rest ofthe pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->