The "Tanking" And/Or Other Roster Moves Discussion Thread

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yes, this is what I’m saying. And many people seem to hate the fact that THOSE type of players are found in the top3 of the draft 80-90% of the time.

This is a nonsensical conversation and it has been going since I joined these boards in this teams infancy. You are offering nothing new and nothing new is going to come out of the conversation.

Someone screaming on these boards will be totally ignored by everyone with any power to make a decision. One has to ask why you would worked up over something that exactly zero of us has any control over.

I've tried to tell you, this isn't even a conversation of mild interest until around the deadline. At the end of December we can start to make more educated opinions on players and speculate about what we might do. Until then you're just throwing crap against the wall.

Good luck,

Reactions: Viqsi

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Byfield is a really great player btw. wouldn't mind him on the team.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Cr I agree with u. The primary issue is Jarmo’s spectacular failure to upgrade the 2c from Wennberg. It is inexcusable that Jarmo did nothing to upgrade from Wennberg in the off season. Instead he repeated the old line that Wennberg will really be different this year (which he was for 5 games). No head coach can build a winner with a nonentity like Wennberg as 2c. We have a decent 1sr line with Nyquist, PLD & Cam. We gave a strong 3rd line with Nick, Boone & Andy. We seem to have 2 strong potential second line wings in Sonny & Bjork. What is missing is the offensive threat inbetween them that could drive that line. Creating a strong second line could ease the pressure on the first line. That cannot happens with Wennberg as 2c. Change the coach, whatever, but no coach will succeed with a marginal, at best 2c like Wennberg.

if changes need to be made, the first change is the GM who will not b in love with Wennberg. Unfortunately I see zero chance of that happening.

Who, this past offseason, was supposed to be our new 2C?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
This is a nonsensical conversation and it has been going since I joined these boards in this teams infancy. You are offering nothing new and nothing new is going to come out of the conversation.

Someone screaming on these boards will be totally ignored by everyone with any power to make a decision. One has to ask why you would worked up over something that exactly zero of us has any control over.

I've tried to tell you, this isn't even a conversation of mild interest until around the deadline. At the end of December we can start to make more educated opinions on players and speculate about what we might do. Until then you're just throwing crap against the wall.

Good luck,
Why even post at all then?

because it’s fun. No matter how little of it you have.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
They haven't got the offensive depth to be willing to spare guys who are actually good on the top-6. And their blueline needs are RD, not LD.
I would throw Wenny and Savard at them and ask for a 2nd or 3rd ... ok 4th... nevermind the pick; yeah we have cap space to retain.

A 2c like him, we make the playoffs.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
My biggest fear before the start of the season was: things will get worse before they get even worse. The Jackets may have entered a multiyear long downtrend with smaller ups and downs. But every downtrend has a meaning and eventually ends up being something new.

Theres no short or medium term solution here. Firing Torts wont change anything. CBJ remains my fav team but watching hockey has been depressive so far.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
have any of you forget all the years before ? like I understand being a bit upset the team isn't cup container but by far the team isn't horrible like it has been before. it's something I thought this particular fan base would understand better.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
have any of you forget all the years before ? like I understand being a bit upset the team isn't cup container but by far the team isn't horrible like it has been before. it's something I thought this particular fan base would understand better.
Feeling that comment. WTF! I think I'm going to call it the NASH effect. People way overvalue superstar mega-popular players and their level of importance in "team" games. Yes, they can win you cups, but not without something special (the whole team) giving them that opportunity. For those with any kind of memory, this is the best group of young players we've EVER had...by far. We never had a top pairing under 25 that is among the best in the league. PLD is now getting the experience (A FREAKING POSSIBLE #1C but at worst great 2C) to break out. That's the rebuild right there! WTF! We are still an above-average team. Which are teams that can make the playoffs with one or two good moves?

We can blame Cam's aging/mediocre/old/average/whatever start to the season.
We can include Torts inability/narrow-mindedness/oldtimers/whatever to the problem.
And don't forget the goalie situation???

But when the team can't ice at least two good scoring lines ...

Reactions: majormajor

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
But the one behind the CBJ bench seems convinced he can if he plays Wennberg nearly 20 minutes a game. Again, is this on Jarmo or Torts?

Jarmo - holding on way too long to prove his first ever draft pick is actually good. Didn't supply Torts with many other options.

Torts - for playing him 19+/game. He has more options now with Texier coming back. Hell, Riley Nash doesn't look too bad finally. Start giving Wennberg Milano-esque minutes.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I think Torts needs to go. Not necessarily because he is a bad coach. But because I don't see him having any ideas that can lift this roster. Maybe a new guy in charge can find some untapped potential buried in this roster. Because they need to find goals and the current approach has no chance of succeeding.

Reactions: CPTN71

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There’s probably no coach in the NHL who can get this roster to play much better under a different playing style.

a new pp coach on the other hand...

The problem is with the roster. And that is a General Manager issue.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm guessing both.

Jarmo - holding on way too long to prove his first ever draft pick is actually good. Didn't supply Torts with many other options.

Torts - for playing him 19+/game. He has more options now with Texier coming back. Hell, Riley Nash doesn't look too bad finally. Start giving Wennberg Milano-esque minutes.

It’s Mike Priest’s fault too right? And Mr. McConnell’s?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Before Panarin — streaky team that for some reason won when Murray played and lost when he was out with an injury.

Panarin era — won a playoff series while Murray was injured.

After Panarin — looks like a streaky team to me, and our record is much better with Murray this year than it is without him.

Reactions: majormajor

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Jackets now tied for 6th in Metro with the Rangers who have 2 games in hand. One point ahead of 8th place NJ who also have 2 games in hand. 5 points out of a playoff spot. Just wait till the tank is official.:help::popcorn:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Here's the thing with the talent we have (couple good offensive players) we had to commit to defensive hockey. We needed a solid goal tender. To try to play that style with 2 guys who had never done it before was questionable (cue the Stl Blues reference as a team that did it).

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
There’s probably no coach in the NHL who can get this roster to play much better under a different playing style.

a new pp coach on the other hand...

Thats why Torts isnt getting fired yet. In fact my guess is: he will remain the coach through the end of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad