The "Tanking" And/Or Other Roster Moves Discussion Thread

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
what I would give to have Boston's scouting system!!!

Remember 2015 when Boston drafted 13th-15th and they picked Jakub Zboril, Jake Debrusk, and Zachary Senyshen and the guys drafted 16th-18th were Barzal, Kyle Connor, and Chabot? Boston has had some hits, but they have also had their misses.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Somebody needs to talk me off the ledge here. As a day one Jackets fan, I'm afraid we're looking at a 5 year rebuild and that's with clever, spot on drafting, something we're not exactly known for. I see a team loaded with bottom six players and only a couple of top six. I wasn't expecting Tex or Bem to be Ovechkin, but I wanted to see more than this from them. To me, the best young player has been Robinson and I would call him a solid third liner. I'm depressed and going out to dinner now.
PS...what I would give to have Boston's scouting system!!!
Yes, that is provably accurate perception of the CBJ future.
What needs to happen on the player personnel front

1. Get lucky in the draft lottery this year.

2. Scout KHL hard to get another solid player for free such as Gavrikov.

3. Get 1-2 good players off the UFA market

4. Get rid of older and not producing players.

if we get all these points right, we can start the next season more optimistic

Reactions: Boomshakalaka

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’ve always said that if you get to 10 points or more under the last playoff spot then you’re dead in the playoff race.

the jackets have now hit that threshold. We are 11 points behind Carolina. We’re cooked. (Not that any of you needed me to tell you that)

Reactions: Madifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I’ve always said that if you get to 10 points or more under the last playoff spot then you’re dead in the playoff race.

the jackets have now hit that threshold. We are 11 points behind Carolina. We’re cooked. (Not that any of you needed me to tell you that)

Its fine.

I cant find a likeable team to support as a 2nd one (for the PO) as I hate them all lol.

I stick with CBJ in harder times as well. My russian bias seems to have completely vanished so the traditional "russian" choices like Caps or Pens are as unattractive as ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yes, that is provably accurate perception of the CBJ future.
What needs to happen on the player personnel front

1. Get lucky in the draft lottery this year.

2. Scout KHL hard to get another solid player for free such as Gavrikov.

3. Get 1-2 good players off the UFA market

4. Get rid of older and not producing players.

if we get all these points right, we can start the next season more optimistic

Gavrikov was a draft pick but I get your point.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
One of the few assets we have is cap space. We have to hope someone (like the Panarin deal) is so bad, that they would move a good player to free up space. Probably doesn't hurt if that team is in the West so they are trying to make sure the move doesn't haunt them.
Then hope that player takes the oath to love Columbus is the tricky part...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Because he is "going to look for max money" does not mean Hall's contract will be bad. If he delivers on the ice, you pay the man.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
But I agree it is totally unrealistic to think Hall has any interest in coming here.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Somebody needs to talk me off the ledge here. As a day one Jackets fan, I'm afraid we're looking at a 5 year rebuild and that's with clever, spot on drafting, something we're not exactly known for. I see a team loaded with bottom six players and only a couple of top six. I wasn't expecting Tex or Bem to be Ovechkin, but I wanted to see more than this from them. To me, the best young player has been Robinson and I would call him a solid third liner. I'm depressed and going out to dinner now.
PS...what I would give to have Boston's scouting system!!!

I can't empathize much, as you've been a fan much longer than me so you've been through some terrible times with them - but I think it's a little much to say they're looking at a 5 year rebuild.
Not in this existing cap world....look at Ottawa, they're better than everyone has given them credit for and they're competitive after 1 year.
Colorado is another example, they were brutal in 16-17 season, only winning 22 games - they won 43 the next season.

A team can have an off year, and it appears this may be one for the CBJ. Remember, they've been one of the winningest over the last 3, 4 years.

Reactions: thebus88 and koteka

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I understand why you can't go for that but it would make my dreams come true. Since it's the Jackets, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Man, Im not sure why I interpret this as negativity and if Im right in this assumption then maybe we should try to think and to stay positive.

This franchise is very likeable and Im sure it will give us many unforgettable moments in the future. So yes, all of it does matter.

Again: Im not sure that my interpretation is correct on any level

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Where is the list of guys who would consider Columbus (the over 32 year olds, oft-injured, etc)?
That's the list we need to be looking over :)

-Ryan Callahan
-Mikko Koivu
-Mike Green
-Wayne Simmonds
-Martin Hanzal
-Carl Soderberg
-Michael Frolik
-Vladimir Sobotka
-Sam Gagner redux
-Ryan Reaves
-Colin Wilson
-Corey Perry
-Brad Richardson
-Derrick Brassard

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Man, Im not sure why I interpret this as negativity and if Im right in this assumption then maybe we should try to think and to stay positive.

This franchise is very likeable and Im sure it will give us many unforgettable moments in the future. So yes, all of it does matter.

Again: Im not sure that my interpretation is correct on any level

I know you’re thinking say it isn’t so DSL but maybe I’m just out of touch.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
-Ryan Callahan
-Mikko Koivu
-Mike Green
-Wayne Simmonds
-Martin Hanzal
-Carl Soderberg
-Michael Frolik
-Vladimir Sobotka
-Sam Gagner redux
-Ryan Reaves
-Colin Wilson
-Corey Perry
-Brad Richardson
-Derrick Brassard
Before everyone’s egos got in the way and thought they were a good team they could have had Brassard dirt cheap. He’s got 7 goals and 10 assists for the Islanders.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Before everyone’s egos got in the way and thought they were a good team they could have had Brassard dirt cheap. He’s got 7 goals and 10 assists for the Islanders.
"Sure, let's sign a guy who scored all of 23 points, having been handed off to three different teams and never really producing at any of 'em. He's done."

It's the Stupid Hindsight posts that always annoy me the most.

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Really? Why hire Oates?

I do agree that this team may need fresh air by the next season but why hire Oates..?

I think you missed DSL's wicked wit. He was playing off of the American rock duo Hall & Oates.

Reactions: Madifer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad