NFL: Jaguars will pick first in the 2021 NFL Draft

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Giants and Texans win, moving them out of the 1 loss column which is currently only occupied by Jacksonville, with the Jets (who play tonight) maintaining possession of the first overall pick. Hard to imagine the Jets winning 2 games so it could potentially be down to the Jets and Jaguars for the pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Giants and Texans win, moving them out of the 1 loss column which is currently only occupied by Jacksonville, with the Jets (who play tonight) maintaining possession of the first overall pick. Hard to imagine the Jets winning 2 games so it could potentially be down to the Jets and Jaguars for the pick.
Never felt Houston would be in line for the top pick, which is owned by Miami.

Does seem like it is down to the Jets/Jags for the top pick. Both would present concerns to Lawrence. Incompetent front office in NYJ and ownership/money in Jacksonville. Just 2 seasons ago Sacksonville looked to be turning the corner, but they had Bortles. and have since moved on from a good number of those top Defensive players.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The Jaguars schedule is brutal. Maybe they can win @ IND in week 17 if it means nothing for the Colts. It smells like 1-15 though. The Jets have a similarly tough schedule unless they somehow sweep the Pats (not happening).

All the 2 win teams have games left that they should win too. They will all get to at least 3.

I am calling it, Lawrence (who WILL leave College, don't buy the BS about him not coming out) is a Jaguar or a Jet come April 2021.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Jaguars schedule is brutal. Maybe they can win @ IND in week 17 if it means nothing for the Colts. It smells like 1-15 though. The Jets have a similarly tough schedule unless they somehow sweep the Pats (not happening).

All the 2 win teams have games left that they should win too. They will all get to at least 3.

I am calling it, Lawrence (who WILL leave College, don't buy the BS about him not coming out) is a Jaguar or a Jet come April 2021.
Look who has had the top 2 picks in recent years?
Cincy & Wash
AZ and SF
Cle and NYG
Cle and SF

SF has turned it around with new management. Cleveland going to pay for taking Baker.

No point in returning to school. Come out and at least you can demand a trade. Both teams likely need to clean house in terms of coaching staffs.

member 157595

Remember when the Jaguars won Week 1 and many of us thought they'd not be in contention for Lawrence despite the fact that literally everything they've done recently has been predicated upon tanking for Lawrence?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sad fact is that both coaches of the Jets and Jags are going to be terminated after the season and won't see the fruits of being bad. But, that is how life is in the NFL. Lose and you are out. Even if Jax intended to tank, the coach is gone.

So, tanking doesn't benefit their resumes. Jags have actually been in most of their games.

member 157595

Sad fact is that both coaches of the Jets and Jags are going to be terminated after the season and won't see the fruits of being bad. But, that is how life is in the NFL. Lose and you are out. Even if Jax intended to tank, the coach is gone.

So, tanking doesn't benefit their resumes. Jags have actually been in most of their games.

The Jets' situation is complicated. Gase reports directly to ownership, not to Joe Douglas, and appears to have Chris Johnson's ear. Gase hasn't been coaching as if his job is on the line; he's not trying anything new in an effort to save his job or changing anything up at all. Therefore, he's either a lame duck or he's coming back, likely the former seeing that Woody Johnson is coming back from the UK and will probably be pissed and ready to clean house.

Gase should never have been hired in the first place and should not be ever allowed to ruin another young NFL QB ever again.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anyone think its possible Fields ends up better than Lawrence?

I don't really watch college ball, just wondering if anyone has that thought process.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Anyone think its possible Fields ends up better than Lawrence?

I don't really watch college ball, just wondering if anyone has that thought process.
Hard to evaluate sometimes due to the Big 10 not as competitive. OSU really much better than their competition.

Fields has been excellent. I would say Lawrence is a more natural pocket passer.

don’t think you go wrong with either guy.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Patriots barely hang on, Jets still remain in sole control of the first overall pick for at least another 2 weeks, as they are on bye next week.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
An epic tank battle
#1 Jets (0-9 - .591 SOS)
#2 Jaguars (1-7 - .554 SOS)

Need to lose out and hope for all kinds of help
#3 Cowboys (2-7 - .473 SOS)
#4 Giants (2-7 - .508 SOS)
#5 Football Team (2-6 - .466 SOS)

Chargers, Texans (Dolphins) and Bengals also at 2 wins but no way they all lose out. And they don't need a QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: MMC

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The Jets will get the 1st overall pick, Lawrence isn't going back to college and risking an injury or something happening that potentially costs him millions of dollars on his rookie contract, too big a risk.

But there is speculation he could pull an Eli Manning/Eric Lindros.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
The Jets will get the 1st overall pick, Lawrence isn't going back to college and risking an injury or something happening that potentially costs him millions of dollars on his rookie contract, too big a risk.

But there is speculation he could pull an Eli Manning/Eric Lindros.
Lawrence should just tell the NYJ GM “I’m not playing for Gase.” Gase fired on the spot. What am I missing here?

Even if the truth got leaked, so what? He would be a folk hero for the NYJ community.

member 157595

Lawrence should just tell the NYJ GM “I’m not playing for Gase.” Gase fired on the spot. What am I missing here?

Even if the truth got leaked, so what? He would be a folk hero for the NYJ community.

This. TL won't do it but he'd be a legend among Jets fans before taking a snap if he did something like this.

That said, Jets GM doesn't have the power to fire Gase. Gase reports to ownership, not to the GM.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
One thing is for certain after Monday nights game is no one is tanking just yet. Too early. The Jets were playing to win and almost did. It was a bad decision by Flacco throwing deep into double coverage at that point or the Jets probably would have won.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
This. TL won't do it but he'd be a legend among Jets fans before taking a snap if he did something like this.

That said, Jets GM doesn't have the power to fire Gase. Gase reports to ownership, not to the GM.
Then let’s have lawrence go right to ownership. Let’s be real here- the star qb prospect is in charge, not the old balls owner. The old balls owner will hit the floor and thank his lucky stars to draft a lawrence. A lawrence will not care two shiny poops which old balls white guy signs his cheques.

My personal take on this, speaking as an nfl owner(I own shares of the Green Bay Packers so I am calling myself an nfl owner :laugh:-

I wish Rodgers opted out this season. I wish we went 0-16 and got lawrence in a Manning-Luck v2. I love Rodgers and am grateful for 2011 but I just see a higher chance at future success as a team drafting trevor lawrence.

Reactions: OmniCube

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
One thing is for certain after Monday nights game is no one is tanking just yet. Too early. The Jets were playing to win and almost did. It was a bad decision by Flacco throwing deep into double coverage at that point or the Jets probably would have won.
To do that on 1st down make little sense. If that is on 3rd down, that's like a great punt as there was a 54 yard difference between where the Jets snapped the ball and where NE got the ball.

I doubt Greg Williams is telling his D to play soft to give up the FG shot. He won't survive a change over either.

All coaches and all Jet players not on a rookie contract are most likely gone in the off-season.

member 157595

To do that on 1st down make little sense. If that is on 3rd down, that's like a great punt as there was a 54 yard difference between where the Jets snapped the ball and where NE got the ball.

I doubt Greg Williams is telling his D to play soft to give up the FG shot. He won't survive a change over either.

All coaches and all Jet players not on a rookie contract are most likely gone in the off-season.

Along that line, Adam Gase looked absolutely distraught in his post-game presser. He knows he won't survive both 0-16 and Woody Johnson returning from the UK, and no way Trevor Lawrence agrees to play for Gase if he or his inner circle have an ounce of brains among them.

There's a very good chance he never again gets another head-coaching gig in the NFL once this is over (rightfully so) and that's probably not a good feeling for him.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Along that line, Adam Gase looked absolutely distraught in his post-game presser. He knows he won't survive both 0-16 and Woody Johnson returning from the UK, and no way Trevor Lawrence agrees to play for Gase if he or his inner circle have an ounce of brains among them.

There's a very good chance he never again gets another head-coaching gig in the NFL once this is over (rightfully so) and that's probably not a good feeling for him.
I feel bad for the guy. Ownership doesnt want to win, yet without a doubt they are gunna can Gase at the end of the season despite the poor record they want. Gase is screwed nob matter what he does.

member 157595

I feel bad for the guy. Ownership doesnt want to win, yet without a doubt they are gunna can Gase at the end of the season despite the poor record they want. Gase is screwed nob matter what he does.

Meaning no offense, I would recommend that you not.

I'm not a Jets fan but I've taken a morbid curiosity in the team this year and I've never seen a more stubborn and unjustifiably arrogant coach. Everything is always everyone else's fault with him.

He brought this on himself.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Meaning no offense, I would recommend that you not.

I'm not a Jets fan but I've taken a morbid curiosity in the team this year and I've never seen a more stubborn and unjustifiably arrogant coach. Everything is always everyone else's fault with him.

He brought this on himself.
Gase is definitely an idiot, but there is literally nothing he can do to save his job in all likelihood

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not so sure, Jets owners are pretty damn clueless.
He was hired by a gm who drafted then cut a third round pick months later. When you trade extra draft picks to secure Darnold you need to hit on the earlier picks you have left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->