NFL: Jaguars will pick first in the 2021 NFL Draft

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He'll be in the draft
Probably, but I think he's not going to play for the Jets even if they get #1 overall. And this would be Dabo's biggest player by far he's got to come back out of multiple 1st rounders but Lawrence still has 2 more seasons of eligibility AFAIK due to the new Covid eligibility rules. So he has options.

I can see Atlanta or Jacksonville paying historic prices to move up though. But ultimately I'm not sure if any of the teams are willing to pay the price to move up. He might just have to settle for the Jets if he does come out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's more likely that he wouldn't want to play in the New York market as opposed to not wanting to play for the Jets. The Jets are fun to poke fun at, but it's clear what they're doing. This is still not the Matt Millen Era Lions. Once Gase is fired, Joe Douglas will have the pick of the litter, and coming out of the Eagles braintrust, will get a guy whom the players won't hate their guts.

member 157595

It's more likely that he wouldn't want to play in the New York market as opposed to not wanting to play for the Jets. The Jets are fun to poke fun at, but it's clear what they're doing. This is still not the Matt Millen Era Lions. Once Gase is fired, Joe Douglas will have the pick of the litter, and coming out of the Eagles braintrust, will get a guy whom the players won't hate their guts.

Why wouldn't Lawrence want to play in the NY market? I guess it's not for everyone but generational QB prospects usually have the confidence to handle the big markets (it's unlikely that they'd reach that level of a prospect without that attitude IMO) and if you win in NY, you are absolutely immortal.

If the Jets clean house in the coaching department, hire a good head coach and let him pick his staff, I expect Lawrence will go there. If they retain Gase for some idiotic reason Lawrence should refuse to play for the Jets at all costs because Coach Booger Sugar is career poison.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why wouldn't Lawrence want to play in the NY market? I guess it's not for everyone but generational QB prospects usually have the confidence to handle the big markets (it's unlikely that they'd reach that level of a prospect without that attitude IMO) and if you win in NY, you are absolutely immortal.

If the Jets clean house in the coaching department, hire a good head coach and let him pick his staff, I expect Lawrence will go there. If they retain Gase for some idiotic reason Lawrence should refuse to play for the Jets at all costs because Coach Booger Sugar is career poison.

he wouldn’t, that was the point

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
he wouldn’t, that was the point
Peyton also could have gone to the Jets but returned to Tennessee.

but given the money involved and with the last 3 first OA picks belonging to Cleveland, Cincy and likely the Jets it’s unlikely he will get lucky and land with a good team that has a terrible year in 2021 if he returns to Clemson.

he can force a trade like Eli. Take the heat like Eli did from the chargers fans.

it will cost any team a lot of high draft picks and a good player on a rookie contract. So depending on how they have built their team over the past 2-3 years it may take a while for that team to get good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Peyton also could have gone to the Jets but returned to Tennessee.

but given the money involved and with the last 3 first OA picks belonging to Cleveland, Cincy and likely the Jets it’s unlikely he will get lucky and land with a good team that has a terrible year in 2021 if he returns to Clemson.

he can force a trade like Eli. Take the heat like Eli did from the chargers fans.

it will cost any team a lot of high draft picks and a good player on a rookie contract. So depending on how they have built their team over the past 2-3 years it may take a while for that team to get good.

1 or 2-year turnarounds happen in this league all the time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
1 or 2-year turnarounds happen in this league all the time.
Depends on how that team is setup. If they have done poorly at the draft the past 2 seasons then moving picks to get TL they won’t have much. You can only afford around 10 players or so making very good money $8 mill or more. Everyone else has to come in cheap.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Like I said prior, any top prospect (top 5 guaranteed) skiping a pro draft to come back to college should never be based on the team that land them but the benefits in staying another year in college. Like winning a championship or breaking records. It is not not the wisest decision financially with all things considered (injuries, covid, others)
Totally agree. Peyton stayed because he wanted to play another year at Tennessee and get a degree. Lawrence nay win Heisman and National Championship this season. He would than have accomplished everything a college kid could achieve.
What if the NYJ get the 1OA Next year?
Lawrence tusks injury and loses millions. Plus Lawrence strokes he as a strong leader who wants to take on a big challenge like turning the Jets around.
Gase needs to be fired and the Jets should hire Leftwich as the next head coach.
Then draft some of Trevor's teammates like Rogers or Etienne. Maybe hire some Clemson assistant coaches. I doubt Sweeney would go to the NFL.

member 157595

I think we're all in agreement that it makes no sense for Trevor Lawrence to play another year at Clemson after this one. Extremely high risk with little or no reward.

However, if the Jets retain their coaching staff it makes no sense to throw his career away, and I hope his advisors make it clear to him that he should not commit career seppuku by throwing himself at the feet of Coach Tyrone Biggums. In that case, he could either enter the draft and pull an Eli Manning, or he can sit out a year and wait for 2021. If the Jets clean house in the coaching staff, hire a good guy and let him pick his staff, it's not worth the risk for Lawrence to sit out a year.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Also, the Vikings, Bengals, and Falcons all won this week, taking them out of the 1 loss group. Because I don’t see the Jets winning 2 games, it will likely come down to the Jets, Giants (who have a chance at getting a win this week tomorrow) and the Dolphins (Texans pick) and Jaguars who are on their byes.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Giants lose, giving them sole possession of #2. The 2 other 1 win teams (Jacksonville and Miami via Houston), have one less loss due to being on their bye weeks.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Also, the Vikings, Bengals, and Falcons all won this week, taking them out of the 1 loss group. Because I don’t see the Jets winning 2 games, it will likely come down to the Jets, Giants (who have a chance at getting a win this week tomorrow) and the Dolphins (Texans pick) and Jaguars who are on their byes.
Question is will NYG pass on Trevor?
Or if they pick second Justin Fields?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Question is will NYG pass on Trevor?
Or if they pick second Justin Fields?
I think after virtually a full season now as a starter there are concerns about Jones. Too many strip sacks, he’s been missing big play opportunities, plus his anticipation and accuracy are not where you want them to be. He looks like an NFL starter but more mid tier than top 10.

If you can upgrade on him I think you have to if you are in position to draft one of the top QBs.

member 157595

Pats with a strategic tank against the Jets this week ;)

By far the worst Gcase scenario for the Jets would be to win against the Patriots. It would be borderline catastrophic for them. BB plays chess, not checkers...makes you think.

Reactions: Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad