NFL: Jaguars will pick first in the 2021 NFL Draft

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Figured a thread was needed to track what is sure to be an epic tankathon with a franchise QB being the prize. Lots of challengers!

Leading the race
Jets (0-4)
Dolphins (From HOU - 0-4)
Falcons (0-4)
Giants (0-4)

And 8 teams who are 1-3.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Would the Fins take Lawerence with Tua in tow? Same with the Falcons and Ryan.

I legit think that if the Jets get the 1, Lawerence might stay another year.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Figured a thread was needed to track what is sure to be an epic tankathon with a franchise QB being the prize. Lots of challengers!

Leading the race
Jets (0-4)
Dolphins (From HOU - 0-4)
Falcons (0-4)
Giants (0-4)

And 8 teams who are 1-3.

Imagine Dolphins landing #1 pick and the package they could get for it

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It would be so enticing for the Dolphins to take Lawrence outright should Houston outstink the Giants or Jets (highly unlikely)

Ideally you threaten to take him and see if you can get one of those trash fires to cough up the mother of all hauls for him.

The Jets are just stupid enough to and Gettleman might do it as a ploy to save his job.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Eagles sort of blew it last night. I was all in for getting Justin. The Dolphins (Texans pick) and Jaguars wont be in contention for the 1st pick, neither will Atlanta. I think it will be either the Jets, Giants, or Lions.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Eagles sort of blew it last night. I was all in for getting Justin. The Dolphins (Texans pick) and Jaguars wont be in contention for the 1st pick, neither will Atlanta. I think it will be either the Jets, Giants, or Lions.
Houston played most of their difficult games already outside of their division. I think they will get up to around 5/6 wins. Likely a pick in the 6-10 range when it is all said and done with them.

Atlanta, hard to know what the deal is with them. Roster wise they should be better but are not.

I have a hard time believing that any team that ends up with the top pick in the draft would keep their current QB. There would be a reason why you have the top pick in the draft and QB might be a reason why.

Moving Darnold, Jones, for draft picks makes sense for both NY teams. Allows them to reset the clock with Lawrence. ATL and Det, would be wise to move off their 30 plus year old QBs for someone young.

member 157595

I still think the Giants job would be attractive to Lawrence if they fire Gettleman. It's a rebuilding job but the Giants are not a completely hopeless organization from top to bottom like their neighbor.

Imagine putting your future in the hands of the New York Jets...it's like the bullet ant glove challenge.

Would the Fins take Lawerence with Tua in tow? Same with the Falcons and Ryan.

I think they'd move the pick for a king's ransom. Some team will want to jump over the team picking in #2 to grab the #1 pick, I think the Dolphins would have a lot of leverage, Tua or not.

That could theoretically set up the Dolphins for an incredible future. They're well-coached and they play to win regardless of whether or not they lack talent. Would be amazing to see the Dolphins and Bills on top of the AFC East for years.

I legit think that if the Jets get the 1, Lawerence might stay another year.

Yup. You and I have had this conversation already but if I'm Lawrence and the Jets have the #1 pick I don't declare.

That said, I didn't necessarily say I'd risk injury and actually play another year at Clemson either...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I still think the Giants job would be attractive to Lawrence if they fire Gettleman. It's a rebuilding job but the Giants are not a completely hopeless organization from top to bottom like their neighbor.

Imagine putting your future in the hands of the New York Jets...it's like the bullet ant glove challenge.

I think they'd move the pick for a king's ransom. Some team will want to jump over the team picking in #2 to grab the #1 pick, I think the Dolphins would have a lot of leverage, Tua or not.

That could theoretically set up the Dolphins for an incredible future. They're well-coached and they play to win regardless of whether or not they lack talent. Would be amazing to see the Dolphins and Bills on top of the AFC East for years.

Yup. You and I have had this conversation already but if I'm Lawrence and the Jets have the #1 pick I don't declare.

That said, I didn't necessarily say I'd risk injury and actually play another year at Clemson either...

The bad thing for Lawrence is that is he really going to be much better off is the Giants/Lions own the top pick? Even Burrow had to go to the Bengals. There is a reason why certain teams have been in the bottom of the NFL for the past 3-5 years.

SF turned it around after about 3-4 years post Harbaugh, so it's possible to turn things around. But, it's going to have to be handing over control of the football operations to someone. Are any of those organizations willing to do that?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't see a Lawrence staying for another year especially if they win another Championship.
Why risk injury and lose $$$$?
Guy has done all you can on the college level.

member 157595

The bad thing for Lawrence is that is he really going to be much better off is the Giants/Lions own the top pick? Even Burrow had to go to the Bengals. There is a reason why certain teams have been in the bottom of the NFL for the past 3-5 years.

SF turned it around after about 3-4 years post Harbaugh, so it's possible to turn things around. But, it's going to have to be handing over control of the football operations to someone. Are any of those organizations willing to do that?

Once again, I'm going to object to putting the Giants in the same category with the Bengals, Lions and Jets. You get rid of Gettleman, hire a really good football guy at the top and build from the QB and trenches first? You can make this organization a success again, I firmly believe that. They're a proud organization and they're not necessarily doomed at the top. If a team like the Giants or Broncos win the top pick I definitely come out if I'm Lawrence.

As for the Bengals, I've watched them cheap out on everyone and everything since Paul Brown passed control down to Mike. I know exactly what their problem is and it's every member of the Brown family other than the patriarch. They buried my love for the team so deep that I don't know if I could ever really dig it back up. I'd be surprised if they don't eventually get Burrow killed because they have no history of investing the resources into proper development. Until they prove they can not break a potential franchise QB I don't believe in them, and no one else should either. There's a reason they haven't won a playoff game in thirty years. I obviously hope I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Lions have a similar problem to the Bengals; terrible ownership. I don't think the Lions are as cheap as the Bengals but they're definitely at least as stupid if not more. When you drive two generational talents (one of which I consider to be the greatest to ever play his position) to early retirement due to the ineptness of your organization, that's pathetic. The team is horribly coached and they don't believe in themselves at all, but at least they're not the Jets.

The Jets...like my Jets fan friend said to me, they've progressed from a dumpster fire to a landfill fire. At the moment they make the Bengals and Lions seem like playoff teams by comparison. They don't have quite as bad a history as the Lions and Bengals but right now, I'd easily rather play for the Lions than the Jets. Even with Adam Gase removed I still wouldn't want to be anywhere near this team, and with him in place the team is by far the biggest joke in the NFL.

I don't see a Lawrence staying for another year especially if they win another Championship.
Why risk injury and lose $$$$?
Guy has done all you can on the college level.

I don't necessarily think he should play another year. I just think that the Jets will ruin him and that he should not place his NFL career in the hands of that team because it's basically like jumping into an active volcano.

Reactions: PanthersPens62
Sep 19, 2008
people think WFT are in contention to draft Trevor :laugh: good luck with that

you got 3 teams at least that are worse than WFT and 1 of them can't even draft Trevor (Houston traded away they picks) :laugh:

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Jets pulling out all the stops and going with Joe Flacco this weekend. Big time move from the Jets to stay in contention!

Sep 19, 2008
Jets pulling out all the stops and going with Joe Flacco this weekend. Big time move from the Jets to stay in contention!
Seems odd to bench Darnold but in this modern age of social media the tolerance for rookie QBs is very low. Suddenly teams have more pressure to win and keyboard analysts everywhere crown picks a bust after 5 or 6 games.

Ya'll know Troy Aikman started off his career terribly right? He went 1-11. Peyton Manning was terrible his first year.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Seems odd to bench Darnold but in this modern age of social media the tolerance for rookie QBs is very low. Suddenly teams have more pressure to win and keyboard analysts everywhere crown picks a bust after 5 or 6 games.

Ya'll know Troy Aikman started off his career terribly right? He went 1-11. Peyton Manning was terrible his first year.
Darnold is in his 3rd season and has played 30 games

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Once again, I'm going to object to putting the Giants in the same category with the Bengals, Lions and Jets. You get rid of Gettleman, hire a really good football guy at the top and build from the QB and trenches first? You can make this organization a success again, I firmly believe that. They're a proud organization and they're not necessarily doomed at the top. If a team like the Giants or Broncos win the top pick I definitely come out if I'm Lawrence.

As for the Bengals, I've watched them cheap out on everyone and everything since Paul Brown passed control down to Mike. I know exactly what their problem is and it's every member of the Brown family other than the patriarch. They buried my love for the team so deep that I don't know if I could ever really dig it back up. I'd be surprised if they don't eventually get Burrow killed because they have no history of investing the resources into proper development. Until they prove they can not break a potential franchise QB I don't believe in them, and no one else should either. There's a reason they haven't won a playoff game in thirty years. I obviously hope I'm wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

Lions have a similar problem to the Bengals; terrible ownership. I don't think the Lions are as cheap as the Bengals but they're definitely at least as stupid if not more. When you drive two generational talents (one of which I consider to be the greatest to ever play his position) to early retirement due to the ineptness of your organization, that's pathetic. The team is horribly coached and they don't believe in themselves at all, but at least they're not the Jets.

The Jets...like my Jets fan friend said to me, they've progressed from a dumpster fire to a landfill fire. At the moment they make the Bengals and Lions seem like playoff teams by comparison. They don't have quite as bad a history as the Lions and Bengals but right now, I'd easily rather play for the Lions than the Jets. Even with Adam Gase removed I still wouldn't want to be anywhere near this team, and with him in place the team is by far the biggest joke in the NFL.

I don't necessarily think he should play another year. I just think that the Jets will ruin him and that he should not place his NFL career in the hands of that team because it's basically like jumping into an active volcano.

The Jets or any team in need of a QB could attempt to trade for the first pick. If the Bengals pick first overall for instance they will trade the pick. Lawrence himself could just pull an Elway/Manning.
As I Jets fan I'm hoping we get the number 1 pick so I'm all in on the tank. Gase is bad and I'm certainly not feeling our new GM. One player isn't going to turn this franchise around so yeah it looks like Lawrence will become the next Archie Manning.
Hoping that doesn't occur. I don't believe in an organization ruining a player. To me it usually means the player isn't as good as we thought. Take the wins out.
Could a team adversely affect a great players career?
Of course. Look at all these amazing players in the past who have played entire careers or so on a non playoff team.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

He's not benched. He injured his shoulder. Team is being precautionary. Still not out of the question that he could sit if he continues to regress though. However I think Flacco would have to really outshine Darnold these next two weeks.
Also this is a good litmus test because if Flacco lights it up it's hard to blame the rest of the team for Darnold's failure.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The situation after today's games:

The undisputed leader and possibly one of the worst teams ever
Jets (0-5)

Very bad
Giants (0-5)
Falcons (0-5)

Making a push
Jaguars (1-4)
Football Team (1-4)

Probably will win at least 4-5 games
Vikings (1-4)
Dolphins via HOU (1-4)
Broncos (1-3)
Lions (1-3)
Bengals (1-3-1)
Eagles (1-3-1)

Reactions: max21

member 157595

The Jets or any team in need of a QB could attempt to trade for the first pick. If the Bengals pick first overall for instance they will trade the pick. Lawrence himself could just pull an Elway/Manning.

Agreed. If the Jets or Giants get the #1 it won't be available for trade (EDIT: or WFT for that matter), but if it's the Bengals they should move down a pick or two, get a haul, draft Sewell and build around Burrow.

As I Jets fan I'm hoping we get the number 1 pick so I'm all in on the tank. Gase is bad and I'm certainly not feeling our new GM. One player isn't going to turn this franchise around so yeah it looks like Lawrence will become the next Archie Manning.
Hoping that doesn't occur. I don't believe in an organization ruining a player. To me it usually means the player isn't as good as we thought. Take the wins out.
Could a team adversely affect a great players career?
Of course. Look at all these amazing players in the past who have played entire careers or so on a non playoff team.

In the past, I've asked myself if I'd want to play for the Bengals if I were a generational QB prospect, and I came to the conclusion that my childhood fandom couldn't trump the fact that I'd be playing for a dysfunctional organization too cheap to help me develop.

If you don't believe that players get ruined, how do you explain Sam Darnold regressing significantly since his rookie year? How do you explain Ryan Tannehill getting progressively worse under Gase and then exploding once he left the black cloud of coaching failure? I have nothing against the Jets but I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that they wouldn't set Trevor Lawrence up for failure.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Dallas needs a backup ,should they look at Tyrod Taylor?
I like Dalton but should he go down in a division that looks like no one wants ,it looks like Dallas division for the taking.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Atlanta has played like hot ass but with Quinn gone i have to imagine they can probably put a few wins together. They'll probably do what they did last year; start like garbage, win a bundle towards the end and screw themselves out of a pick. Same with Houston. The rest are your run of the mill bad like the Giants (were close to being 2-3 so far), Football Team and the Jags.

The Jets though? The Jets are a special type of trash. A type of trash that you only see once in a lifetime.
If the NFL were a universe, the Jets would be a gamma ray burst of just pure awfulness. An awfulness so terrible that the rest of the universe just has to stare at the majesty of how brightly the trashfire burns. I don't think anyone outsucks the Jets this season. It's a combo of horrible personnel outside of Crowder, Bell (i truly believe he'd be still a solid lead back in another uniform), Beckton and then the league's worst coaching staff by a light year.

That hilariously bad stretch where the Jets needed 1 stinking yard to get a first down only to come up short on both 3rd and 4th was a perfect demonstration of both. I know we say this every year about somebody but i would be impressed if they actually manage to win a game. They're that bad.

Adam Gase's record: 30-39

30 wins

30 losses by double digit points (!!!) and only 9 by single digits

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Darnold will get moved because Gase will be fired, Joe Thomas is still less than one year in. New regimes means new quarterbacks.

Mar 1, 2002
Atlanta has played like hot ass but with Quinn gone i have to imagine they can probably put a few wins together.

Did you watch Tampa when Morris was the coach there? Looking at their schedule, I see 3 wins at best.

There is nothing I want more than to see them get the #1 pick and being stuck with Matt Ryan and the 3rd worst cap situation in the NFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->