irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
So far in quarantine I've hit these PRs:
-250lbs for 3 on bench
-235 for 5 on bench
-370 for 3 on deadlift
-350 for 5 on deadlift (although now I'm needing to readjust my form, I don't use my legs enough cause I'm too horizontal)

Squat, I haven't really been progressing since I've been cutting. I was up to 310lbs for 2, I think I had 305 for 3 before that. Trying to maintain, mostly, right now, then hoping to build up and blast past 315 (probably not until fall). OHP has also stalled. I once hit 175lbs for 1, but that has dropped off for me since cutting weight.

Also hitting chin-ups with 45lbs for sets of 5, which is dope.

Reactions: Club

darko

Feb 16, 2009
My gym finally opened yesterday. You have to book and you can't spend more than 50 minutes. Feels good to be back. Last night they almost had to push me out the door.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Any tips for lower back pain on OHP or OHP variations?

I'm seeing some conflicting articles, some suggest core issues, others suggest lack of thoracic spine/shoulder mobility and hyperextension.

From what I see, it seems like I am hyperextending. So how would I get rid of that?

Thought I'd ask the group here.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

I'm seeing some conflicting articles, some suggest core issues, others suggest lack of thoracic spine/shoulder mobility and hyperextension.

From what I see, it seems like I am hyperextending. So how would I get rid of that?

Most often it's exactly what you found: shifting to make up for core weakness or lack of mobility. Go lighter and force yourself to stay rigid. Go slow, even extra slow, to make your reps longer and harder. The extended time under tension and effort to stabilize the weights will do wonders for overall strength.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Most often it's exactly what you found: shifting to make up for core weakness or lack of mobility. Go lighter and force yourself to stay rigid. Go slow, even extra slow, to make your reps longer and harder. The extended time under tension and effort to stabilize the weights will do wonders for overall strength.

Thanks Ozz, I've been trying out a bunch of different things, it seems like I'm not using my glutes enough. I cut down on my weight and it seems like I have a lack of thoracic mobility.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008

I have been doing Athlean X's 22 day transverse abs challenge and have REALLY noticed its helped my posture and lower back. I would normally get all hunchy and a sore back if sitting in a chair for a while. Its carried over to many of my gym exercices like OHP, even starting to deadlift again a bit.

Reactions: blue425

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
Got 200 on squat for 6 reps for the first time the other day. I know that isn’t a lot compared to most people’s, but I was bekow 135 in December so I’m pretty pumped about that.
Great progress on the squat. I wouldn't care at the number, there are a TON of people at the Y I go to that never train legs, they're easy to pick out because they always wear a muscle shirt and joggers ;)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I have been doing Athlean X's 22 day transverse abs challenge and have REALLY noticed its helped my posture and lower back. I would normally get all hunchy and a sore back if sitting in a chair for a while. Its carried over to many of my gym exercices like OHP, even starting to deadlift again a bit.
I have to say, thank you so much for turning me onto this guys Youtube page! I've changed all my workouts to things he recommends and i've already seen some great results in just a few weeks. This guy is EXTREMELY knowledgeable!

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
I have to say, thank you so much for turning me onto this guys Youtube page! I've changed all my workouts to things he recommends and i've already seen some great results in just a few weeks. This guy is EXTREMELY knowledgeable!
No problem, the guy has 11M subscribers for good reason :laugh: Jeff Nippard and Jeremy Ethier are two Canadian guys on youtube that provide alot of useful, science-backed content as well and are worth checking out.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
Jeff has a few free fullbody workous on his youtube channel that's quite nice if you don't have all that much time to workout through the week.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Here's some random decent lifts of mine:

405x6 squats, depth is only okay, hips were tight

615 DL fail about an inch from lockout, no straps/belt

405x5 beltless DL after squats

Current PRs are 475 squat, 625DL, 315 BP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->