OT: The story of how Okposo became captain Kyle

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
So I've got to tell you guys this story.

Sabres fans are few and far apart in Sweden, but we've managed to find eachother. Well, at least four of us. This has led us to form our own tiny chatgroup on Hangouts to discuss things Sabres related at a time when normal people (i.e Swedes) are up and awake.

So there's this one guy (let's call him Lars) in our group that has something against Okposo. Now, I don't think he hates him as much as he makes us believe, but as with any group of people, certain attitudes and lingo develop. So his thing is to bash Okposo.

Now. As we all know, the Sabres chose to start the season without a captain. And as Lars' Okposo-bashing got more and more intense, I got an idea. So I went to the other members of our group and conspired to make him believe that the Sabres had named Okposo captain. What we did was one of us manipulated a genuin article from Sabres.com to tell the story of how Okposo had been named captain, took a screenshot of it and posted the image in our group. We then started piling on by rationalizing the desicion (players' choice, lockerroom guy, not wanting to put more pressure on Eichel, etcetera). This was in October and if I recall correctly, we timed it so that we broke the "news" when Sabres had a few days off so there wouldn't be any games to reveal the truth immediately. The hope was that Lars would buy the story at first but then realize we were playing him. Or we would have to break it to him ourselves if he got too upset. It turned out a bit different.

I think Lars responded with something like "F***" and that was all he had to say about that. The following days we kept stearing the discussions back to Okposo being captain. We started referring to him as "captain Kyle". Lars wouldn't bite. He basically just... vanished. This made the situation awkward. Was he playing us? Had he figured it out right away but didn't want to give us the satisfaction? Had we ruined his life? We figured that after a few games, surely he must have noticed the lack of C on Okposo's jersey, but he still didn't say anything. And neither did we. So the joke turned in to some sort of stalemate where we just kept referring to Okposo as captain, and Lars kept ignoring it.

So months go by. And then, with just a few games left of the season, Lars opens up a discussion with something like "Guys? Okposo isn't the captain at all." And he started posting a bunch of pictures from various games over the season, proving Okposo wasn't wearing a C. It turns out, he bought it and never double checked the story, didn't want to talk about it and then at some point saw the lack of C and started digging. So what did we do? Being total jerks, we pretended to be stupid, that none of us had noticed the fact that Okposo wasn't wearing a C (despite watching just about every horrible game). Somewhere in all of this, the explanation became that maybe Okposo was just named captain for one game. For some reason.

I think he believes it. Or he is playing us better than we're playing him. But either way, that's the story of how Okposo became captain Kyle.

okposoo.PNG

Last edited:

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Classic prank. That's what real friendship is all about.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
With Dahlin, Ullmark, Asplund, Pilut, Nylander, Davidsson etc on their way to becoming Sabres I think you'll soon have no trouble finding Swedish Sabres fans.

Reactions: Wisent42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad