Tribute The Stories of Mats Sundin and Curtis Joseph

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Cujo was only a 3 time all star that's crazy
the thing about cujo is that his career lined up similarly with the greatest goaltenders in the sports’ history all playing at once.

take a player like vasilevsky, or price. great goaltenders that will end up in the HoF and who won multiple awards. NOW put them in a competition with hasek, and brodeur, and roy, and belfour, and all at the same time. (plus some other strong comp like richter and cujo) neither one is winning a single goaltending award, and wont be nominated to the all star game very much.

still great though.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I might get some heat for this but I think Mats would be talked on the level of a Stevie Y or Sakic if he had similar supporting casts.

With the Nordiques he outscored Sakic and led the team in scoring in 1993, and in 1994 he finished 7 points behind Sakic but had 4 more goals.

That Clark trade for them was a mistake, they're probably a dynasty with Mats in the fold to play with Foppa, Sakic, Ricci and Nolan.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I might get some heat for this but I think Mats would be talked on the level of a Stevie Y or Sakic if he had similar supporting casts.

With the Nordiques he outscored Sakic and led the team in scoring in 1993, and in 1994 he finished 7 points behind Sakic but had 4 more goals.

That Clark trade for them was a mistake, they're probably a dynasty with Mats in the fold to play with Foppa, Sakic, Ricci and Nolan.

I'm not sure if things could have turned out any better for that franchise beyond the two Cups they eventually did win. They didn't hit all that well on the Sundin for Clark aspect of that trade but certainly did much better regarding Butcher for Lefebvre. They also were able to flip Clark for Claude Lemieux in relatively short order. Someone (likely Sundin) also isn't playing centre for long with all of Sakic, Forsberg and Sundin in the fold. I'd agree that Sundin didn't have the supporting cast of an Yzerman or Sakic though and that could have very well helped to bridge the gap to a fairer extent.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I remember someone saying Matts Sundin was "the best, bad pass receiver in the NHL".

Says alot about his supporting cast for most of his career

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
the thing about cujo is that his career lined up similarly with the greatest goaltenders in the sports’ history all playing at once.

take a player like vasilevsky, or price. great goaltenders that will end up in the HoF and who won multiple awards. NOW put them in a competition with hasek, and brodeur, and roy, and belfour, and all at the same time. (plus some other strong comp like richter and cujo) neither one is winning a single goaltending award, and wont be nominated to the all star game very much.

still great though.
Yesssirrpp, all the greats were playing then... they even changed the gezame with all those extra ordinary great gezoalies sire.

Reactions: al secord

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
I remember someone saying Matts Sundin was "the best, bad pass receiver in the NHL".

Says alot about his supporting cast for most of his career
haha, I forgot about that. I remember after he left early after the lockout it was so frustrating to watch the leafs because every pass was a fail.

We literally couldnt even advance the puck.

Reactions: GrizzLeaf

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

No u

Reactions: 1specter

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Na that's completely reasonable. Trade Sundin straight up 1 for 1 for any of them and the teams trajectories would still be pretty much the same. Sundin produced at almost the same level and played with garbage almost his entire career. He had Mogilny/Roberts for a couple of years, other than that he played with garbage.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Not hard to imagine if Sundin had Forsberg on his wing or Lidstrom playing defense, that his career projection would have been different. He was able to do wonders playing with an over-the-hill Alex Mogilny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad