The State of Hockey

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Interesting to see fans of the game comparing today’s game to old style trap hockey and compelled to assume its old guys who want dinosaur era games back.
Sorry, you missed the point. Hockey is a contact sport. I could posts lots of videos of guys figure skating through 3 players, dancing around the goalie and scoring ; that doesn't make it good hockey.
Im sure the NFL isnt changing to flag football anytime soon. The NHL better wake up because I predict attendance will suffer the long term consequences of this trend.
Nice to see fans defending the ‘cleaner’ game but last game I went to the fans were most excited when a scrap occurred.
The build ups to rivalries, grudge matches and hard nosed play are few and far between. The Tkchuk/Kassian type thing makes it far more interesting. Get the contact and sandpaper back and we wont see attendance numbers drop. Combined with the skill and speed, we have less boring hockey.

Are you sure about that? The NFL has some many rules about hitting that it's ridiculous.

Reactions: Ncit3

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I mean in decades past there were a ton of snoozers as well, I think you're really generalizing here. Get a divisional game or a game in prime time against 2 quality opponents and it's competitive, fun hockey generally with hitting.

Reactions: DaveG

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
NHL fans amaze me. They more than any other sport hate their league. There is nothing bewildering about the direction of the league. Analytics arepushing the pace of offensive play. Big physical teams remain and remain successful. Regular season hockey isn't shinny. Geez

This is so true. NHL fans are the whiniest of them all.

Reactions: 1989

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
yeah, let's go back to the good old, two line, clutch and grab days, where you could hammer a guy on icings, throw the puck over the boards or ice it when you were tired, and most bottom six players couldn't skate, but sure could fight!

Oh, and you could " freeze the puck" , leading to endless faceoffs.

I do think the original six hockey was pretty good. Much slower, of course, but it was good.

I do wish that the season was cut down to 60-70 games. I lose interest in the playoffs when they are played in June or late May.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I still enjoy the NHL, looks like there'll be multiple 100 point seasons again this year. The Pacific Division is looking like a dog fight as well this year.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They hated the OP because he spoke the truth.

Ask a casual fan with almost no passing knowledge of the sport about it, and they will talk about the hits and fights. It's the most marketable part of the game IMO and also basically the most unique part of the game out of the major sports.

People say it is fine, but then when a super physical game happens, especially in the playoffs, people are WAYYY more into it.

It's the same as people who say they prefer a 1-0 game. They are liars lol. The same games they are cheering and partying when it is a high scoring affair.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Ask a casual fan with almost no passing knowledge of the sport about it, and they will talk about the hits and fights. It's the most marketable part of the game IMO and also basically the most unique part of the game out of the major sports.

People say it is fine, but then when a super physical game happens, especially in the playoffs, people are WAYYY more into it.

It's the same as people who say they prefer a 1-0 game. They are liars lol. The same games they are cheering and partying when it is a high scoring affair.

I think you could find an equal or greater number of casual fans that are turned off by the fighting and goonery.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think you could find an equal or greater number of casual fans that are turned off by the fighting and goonery.

And I doubt those fans watch sports at all. Football, Rugby, Hockey are different than Soccer, golf, etc.

You need to decide who your market is. You can't make a product that appeals to everyone, and I feel the product is going in a direction where it is stale and boring because it doesn't hit any one group, just hits a bit of everyone.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016

Sadly fighting in general is disappearing. Many leagues have either banned fighting already or have put in much stricter rules over the last couple of years to restrict it (AHL & ECHL 10 fight rule, USHL automatic game misconduct if you get in a fight, etc).

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
hqdefault.jpg

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
It's simple, just fire Batman and put a Canadian in charge
Due to how working for certain big clubs increases your job prospects in the NHL, you might get your wish. I could see someone Shanahan being Commissioner in 10 years time. Maybe even Yzerman.

For the love of God don't let it be George Paros.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Here is my assessment.

talent level across the league is at an all time high. Goals are up. Speed of the game is there. The speed and end to end excitement may work against the sport.

everyone is glued to their phones and tech and it’s kinda hard to get breaks in the action. Vs NFL it is perfectly paced. Basketball has so many breaks and timeouts.

baseball is season is too long and lacking talent.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fact is hockey is changing towards a more ballet style game.

This is a crock. A load. Analytics say that pushing and shoving after the whistle is counter productive. Would you rather win the game or watch some scrums?

Analytics may show that hits create more defensive holes than they create opportunities. Would you rather win the game or see some guys get crushed?

Now, I am a Caps fan. The Caps truck whoever they want to. If they feel the need, they fight. Clearly they see situations where running over guys is counter productive and don't do it.
They would rather win.

Ballet. That is a load of shit

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Here is my assessment.

talent level across the league is at an all time high. Goals are up. Speed of the game is there. The speed and end to end excitement may work against the sport.

everyone is glued to their phones and tech and it’s kinda hard to get breaks in the action. Vs NFL it is perfectly paced. Basketball has so many breaks and timeouts.

baseball is season is too long and lacking talent.

An 82 game schedule is outdated, the loser point system creates a useless illusion that teams are on a level playing field, but once the playoffs start you pretty much have an idea who's going to win it down to 1 or 2 choices for favorites.

I used to watch all 82 games of my team including extra games for other teams. Then i grew passed the age of 12 and had other hobbies. Then as an adult Netflix and streaming services came out, faster internet, and a whole bunch of other apps that the NHL has to compete with. Suddenly watch every game even the boring ones seemed like a bigger waste of time.

Its also about the quality of the games, you can have a few extra goals from season to season and have a faster game, but its also an illusion because a lot of those speedy players are not very good and just look busy out there without too much talent. Its like Russel Westbrook said about Patrick Beverly during a game a month ago in the NBA, "hes got you all fooled, he hustles and looks busy out there but hes doing nothing"

Speed and effort does not equal talent. The NHL is a watered down dumpster fire where there is only 4 or 5 good games in a 7 day span if we are lucky. Analytics has made every team defend the same, collapses down low, same style of roster, same style of player, no varying strategies, no colorful personalities. Its all white bread, you can only fill up on so much of it before you start feeling sick. Its all point shots and lucky bounces most games, might as well call it the national pinball league. And yes there are exceptions, the Ovie's the Mcdavid's etc, but we only have maybe 8 to 10 superstar game breaking players in the whole league of 32 teams. For every Matthews and Stamkos, there are 10 Joe blow fast skating grinders that score 10 to 12 goals a year if they are lucky.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Back-to-back games shouldn't exist. Reducing the schedule by 12 games would allow players to be fresher for every game and create a better on-ice product. This would also allow for more travel between East and West teams so they can play more often.

I don't want to see east/west play more often. We need more divisional play and conference play. I couldn't care less if Toronto played Dallas or some other random western team more often. Give me more games against Montreal, Boston, Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo, Philly, etc.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This is a crock. A load. Analytics say that pushing and shoving after the whistle is counter productive. Would you rather win the game or watch some scrums?

Analytics may show that hits create more defensive holes than they create opportunities. Would you rather win the game or see some guys get crushed?

Now, I am a Caps fan. The Caps truck whoever they want to. If they feel the need, they fight. Clearly they see situations where running over guys is counter productive and don't do it.
They would rather win.

Ballet. That is a load of ****

Don't try to put me in the "push and shove" crowd, so I have no concern about answering that question.

I want to win the game and see guys get crushed.

Who said anything about "running" guys except for you?

I like hockey with speed, skill and physicality. I don't care what you like. The fact you are so angry towards my post is quite indicative.

Your type likes to black and white the game when there is a lot of grey or middle ground. Seems like you can't grasp that hockey can have it all and not be microscoped to just the aspects that you personally prefer.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Don't try to put me in the "push and shove" crowd, so I have no concern about answering that question.

I want to win the game and see guys get crushed.

Who said anything about "running" guys except for you?

I like hockey with speed, skill and physicality. I don't care what you like. The fact you are so angry towards my post is quite indicative.

Your type likes to black and white the game when there is a lot of grey or middle ground. Seems like you can't grasp that hockey can have it all and not be microscoped to just the aspects that you personally prefer.

My post was not directed at you specifically and you are about as far off of my motivations as you can be.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I find regular season enjoyment is directly proportional to how competitive the team you cheer for is. As an oilers fan most years I don't bother watching cause it's frustrating watching your team stink every night. This year they are competitive and I am enjoying it.
Yep. I'm really enjoying this season. Don't know why though. :rolleyes:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
How much longer will it take for the NHL to see the obvious. Regular season hockey has become mundane, boring shinny. Highly skilled players, moving the puck around with ease because there is very little contact.
Fans want the bodychecking, the grit and sandpaper and dare I say, the occasional scrap.
Why do we have to wait for playoffs to see real hockey?
Many Coaches seem bewildered at where the game is going. Its sanitized and its missing what once made it exciting.
Im not alone here; many of my friends/fans are saying the same thing. Thoughts?

i don't think it's possible to for me to disagree harder than i do with you on this post. playoff hockey is not "tougher" than regular season hockey, the only difference is the refs are mandated to put their whistles away in the playoffs. The NHL playoffs are brutal to watch because the NHL believes that allowing the 4th line plugs to hook, hold, slash, obstruct, generally ride on the backs of the skill players is "good, hard playoff hockey", when in reality all it does is bog games down and allow those plugs to drag the skill players down to their level. It may seem to be better hockey but thats only because the stakes are much higher, but playoffs in actuality, for the most part, a slog to get through.

now don't get me wrong, i love physical hockey, but letting plug players get away with murder on the skill players in the playoffs is not physical hockey, it's complete garbage. hockey is such a unique sports because it is such a blend of high skill and physicality, but the playoffs for some unknown reason, tries to limit skill as much as it possibly can., and it's incredibly frustrating to watch.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The game started going down hill with the discovery of CTE and Post Concussion Syndrome, you're right.
I'm still amazed it took this discovery to know violent sports had long term health consequences. It's like people that were surprised boxers had their brains scrambled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->