OILERS: 4-10-2, 10 points VS LIGHTNING: 10-4-0, 20 points

[fieldset=Game Info]Game Day: November 7, 2013
Game Time: 5:30 pm
Radio: 630 Ched.
TV: Sportsnet Oil
[/fieldset]

Spin_O_Rama_700x300.jpg

Who did the spin-o-rama better?

[fieldset=Roster Updates] EDMONTON: Hall and Omark are in - Eager and Acton are out.
Edmonton goaltender Richard Bachman (lower body), defensemen Anton Belov (lower body) and Justin Schultz (groin) and forwards Steve MacIntyre (knee), David Perron (neck), Tyler Pitlick (knee), and Jesse Joensuu (back) have been sidelined.

TAMPA BAY: Tampa Bay defenseman Brian Lee (knee) and forward Tom Pyatt (collarbone) are out indefinitely.[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Lineups]
EDMONTON:

TAMPA BAY:

Alex Killorn - Steven Stamkos - Martin St. Louis
Ryan Malone - Valtteri Filppula - Teddy Purcell
Ondrej Palat - Tyler Johnson - Brett Connolly
Richard Panik - Nate Thompson - B.J. Crombeen

Matt Carle - Radko Gudas
Sami Salo - Victor Hedman
Mark Barberio - Eric Brewer

Ben Bishop
Anders Lindback
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Who to watch?]OILERS TO WATCH:
The spin-o-rama king, Linus Omark.
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=NHL.com Preview]
Last 10: Edmonton 3-6-1; Tampa Bay 7-3-0

Season series: This is the first of two meetings between the Edmonton Oilers and Tampa Bay Lightning. In their most recent matchup, on March 22, 2012, Teddy Purcell scored in the sixth round of a shootout to lead the Lightning past the Oilers 3-2 at the Tampa Bay Times Forum.

Big story: The Lightning sit first in the Atlantic Division (20 points in one fewer game than the Toronto Maple Leafs and two fewer games than the Detroit Red Wings), but on Thursday they'll be tasked with slowing down Oilers rookie sensation Mark Arcobello.

Team Scope:

Oilers: There was a sense of relief and quite a bit of satisfaction after Edmonton snapped a five-game skid Tuesday with a 4-3 overtime win against the Florida Panthers. The Oilers let a 3-1 lead slip in the third period but recovered when Arcobello scored on the power play at 1:55 of OT.

It was Arcobello's second goal of the game, the first two of his NHL career, but even before he found the back of the net he had a team-leading 10 assists. The Oilers also got a lift from defenseman Taylor Fedun, who scored in his NHL debut.

"It was big for confidence there," Arcobello said of scoring his initial goal. "I've had my fair share of chances so far this year. I've been squeezing the stick a little bit too tight. To finally get that first one was big."

Lightning:
While not quite the overnight sensation the Colorado Avalanche have been over in the Western Conference, there's an undeniable buzz around Tampa Bay regarding the way the Lightning have turned their fortunes over the season's first five weeks. They have yet to lose consecutive games and enter Thursday seeking their third win in a row.

Tampa Bay has been particularly tough against the West, which continued in Saturday's 4-2 victory against the St. Louis Blues. With the score knotted in the third, Brett Connolly's first of the season put the Lightning in front to stay and Valtteri Filppula tacked on some late insurance.

"That's a good team over there and we kept it going in the third period and kind of took over," said Ben Bishop, who stopped 28 shots. "I thought it was a little bit of a measuring stick for us."

Who's hot: Boyd Gordon set up three goals for the Oilers on Tuesday, including Arcobello's in overtime. … Steven Stamkos has six goals and four assists in the past six games for the Lightning. Alex Killorn has two goals and three assists in the past two games.[/fieldset]

CREDIT FOR THE IDEA:
Who's making the gdt? We should have a spin-o-rama themed GDT, where you can only see the backs of the heads of the Oilers players, and all the Tampa players look angry.

- I did the first half, no time for the second half though.

Last edited:

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Posts from the last page of the pre-game thread:

Ya, Perron on the top line over Hemsky. Guess I am just saying it is close lol. getting close to what we have wanted to see.

Any news on Perron?

These have to be the two worst defences in the league

Yeah, that would be my favorite line too. I think that Perron-Gordon-Hemsky could go against the tough matchups which will allow the skill lines to create offense against weaker matchups. Lets hope that nobody gets hurt or "sick" before Perron and Joensuu comes back because I would really like to see what this team can do when healthy which they haven't been all year at forward.
Would create nightmare matchups, especially at home. Can't imagine an oppposing coach's decision making process on how to handle the other 2 top three lines.

Anyone know the d-pairings?
I would assume status quo.

Ference - Petry
Smid - Larsen
N. Schultz - Fedun

Good. Smyth is the perfect 4th line C. Keep him out of the top 9. Love these lines. ARco and Omark can feed of Gordon's defence and hopefully get us some goald. The top 6 should be deadly. I mean this is the top 6 we have wanted to see all year.
we're missing Perron in that Top 6. That is why we should be shipping hemsky out......The guy needs a change of scenary....I really liked him but he needs a change.

7m
--> RT @Bob_Stauffer #Oilers projected lines:
Hemsky-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Omark-Gordon-Arcobello
Jones-Smyth-Gazdic

Get Perron back right away, I would go
Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Gagner Yakupov
Hemsky Gordon Arcobello
Jones Smyth Gazdic

Starting to look like a team IMO.
Boy, those top 3 projected lines are awfully soft though.

Probably, but don't worry, he'll play at a subpar level long past the time when the season is a total write off. Is it too early to call that he'll miss training camp and be rushed back just a little too quickly next October?
is there anybody who doesn't think that this is a very likely scenario?

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Just get points against teams in the Metro. You only get so many games against them, gotta make them count.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
So glad Eager and Acton are scratches but.... I think Arco should center the 4th line not Smyth. We found out how that ended up last year. Also nice to see Hall back to give us some much needed scoring punch.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
So glad Eager and Acton are scratches but.... I think Arco should center the 4th line not Smyth. We found out how that ended up last year. Also nice to see Hall back to give us some much needed scoring punch.

Putting Smyth on the 4th line does two things:

Allows Arco to play more minutes will higher skill players; and
Keeps Smyth rested in case Eakins wants to ride him during the final 5 minutes of the game if the team is protecting a lead.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It would be a miracle if this team could roll together an actual win streak. It's asking a lot, but if they could go on a 4-5 game win streak, it would desperately help the team in a lot of ways. From confidence to the standings as well as help the fans. That way we don't throw stuff at them when they come back. :laugh: I kid.

Putting Smyth on the 4th line does two things:

Allows Arco to play more minutes will higher skill players; and
Keeps Smyth rested in case Eakins wants to ride him during the final 5 minutes of the game if the team is protecting a lead.

I'm sorry, did I just read Smyth would be one of the go to guys in the final 5 minutes of the game if they're protecting a lead? Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'm 300% certain that we dressed Omark specifically for this game so TBay, remembering the spinorama incident, will play with a chip on their shoulder. That would in turn wake up the team a bit. I hope we get into the trenches tonight.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I'm sorry, did I just read Smyth would be one of the go to guys in the final 5 minutes of the game if they're protecting a lead? Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

It's actually happening. I'm not saying I agree with using Smyth in the final few minutes of a game to protect a lead. I'm saying this is something Eakins has done.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
I'm 300% certain that we dressed Omark specifically for this game so TBay, remembering the spinorama incident, will play with a chip on their shoulder. That would in turn wake up the team a bit. I hope we get into the trenches tonight.

Funny thing is...Stamkos did a spin-o-rama shootout goal like 2 weeks after Linus. I should find that video again.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE FOR OMARK:

Linus Omark made his initial Oilers debut in a memorable game several years ago against the Tampa Bay Lightning. Omark's spin move at centre ice prior to scoring a shootout goal helped lead Edmonton to the win.

"It seems like it's always the Lightning," Omark laughed.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
you don't get any hotter than the oilers are right now. 1 OT win in a row..... were on fire.

ahh the old 1 game winning streak. we are doing alot of right things out there.

gee, i wonder what 3-4 game winning streaks feel like. cant get ahead of ourselves though, 1 game winning streaks don't come very often for this team so lets CHERISH IT BABY!

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
won't get to watch.

Despite all the negativity around this team right now, I'm hoping they just play a decent game.

Come away with a point and it will be some sort of miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->