OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
USA vs Mexico in the Gold Cup Final on FS1 coming up at 9pm. Gonna be 65k in a sold out in the new Las Vegas NFL stadium.

LETS GO USA!!!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
From the RBNY Discussion Group FB Page:

FB_IMG_1627787109377.jpg

Reactions: Basement Cat

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Berhalter sure is proving me wrong, beating Mexico with a C team of mostly MLS scrubs. I know El Tri is a historically underachieving side but you’d think with a guy like Martino, they’d get over the hump.

Regardless, I get to brag to my wife again.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eh more like Gretzky in LA after the Edmonton years, or LeBron going to the superteam in Miami after Cleveland. Messi still has some good years left, Marty was literally at the end.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Eh more like Gretzky in LA after the Edmonton years, or LeBron going to the superteam in Miami after Cleveland. Messi still has some good years left, Marty was literally at the end.
In terms of “he still has years of talent to give,” sure. In terms of “it’s painful to look at him in another uniform,” though, I stand by my statement.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
At the risk of insulting everything soccer fandom is all about… I’d rather replace the USSF board with Red Bull employees. They know us better than the rich assholes who call the shots and don’t care about the game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At the risk of insulting everything soccer fandom is all about… I’d rather replace the USSF board with Red Bull employees. They know us better than the rich assholes who call the shots and don’t care about the game.

I don't know specifically what they screwed up on in this cycle so far (other than maybe having a nondescript coach like Berthalter, who did manage to win a couple of tournaments), it was clearly a rebuilding phase. Contrary to the hype after the Gold Cup, it doesn't look like this rebuild's gonna take shape in time for 2022.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I don't know specifically what they screwed up on in this cycle so far (other than maybe having a nondescript coach like Berthalter, who did manage to win a couple of tournaments), it was clearly a rebuilding phase. Contrary to the hype after the Gold Cup, it doesn't look like this rebuild's gonna take shape in time for 2022.
I think they should still make the World Cup. We won in Honduras for the first time in 12 years. In general, there’s lots of young talent that’s actually being used to good effect. But the coaching search was a complete farce. I will give Berhalter credit in that he’s not a complete moron like Klinsmann or Arena, and he isn’t throwing out favorites for the sake of it, but that’s a low bar to clear. And hiring straight-from-MLS coaching isn’t as numbingly stupid as it was at the time- Red Bull has given Marsch many chances to thrive, and now he’s coaching their premiere club.

Still… when you had Tata Martino demanding he be hired, and Lopetegui literally calling up the USSF and telling them he’d be great, and you hire Berhalter, that’s a damning indictment of how things are run. We’re doing well in spite of the board.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My goodness, I don't envy Satans Hockey and the other Red Bull fans here after THAT finish to a season.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
My goodness, I don't envy Satans Hockey and the other Red Bull fans here after THAT finish to a season.

Honestly 2019 was way worse in Philly. Had 2 seperate 2 goal leads and still lost in extra time and stood in the pouring rain the entire time. This was whatever. At least I didn't have to spend a lot of money to go watch this team lose somewhere else. They stunk all year, have no legit strikers and can't finish. Would have rather lost in regulation instead of standing around for all that extra time though.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
What the hell, Italy. I don't think North Macedonia was formally known as "North Macedonia" four years ago.

i was confused also, asked my (north) macedonian friend why the change?

his reply was something along the lines of "the greeks were crying about something with the name"

it makes sense when i look at a map

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Also, man the US should have come away with three points at Azteca. Pulisic and Pefok had two terrible strikes on their scoring opportunities. But any points down there is cause for celebration.

Win and we're in, lads.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
i was confused also, asked my (north) macedonian friend why the change?

his reply was something along the lines of "the greeks were crying about something with the name"

it makes sense when i look at a map

There is a region of Greece called Macedonia, and it is the historical location of the capital of Alexander the Great's empire. The modern day country of (North) Macedonia is on part of the territory of the ancient one, but otherwise they really don't have much to do with each other. Modern Macedonian is a Slavic language instead of a Greek one.

Basically the Greeks objected to Macedonia using the name without the qualifier of "North", and refused to allow Macedonia to be considered for membership in either NATO or the EU until it was resolved.

They changed the name in a referendum, and now are a member of NATO, although something else is still blocking them from EU accession.

TL;DR: It's basically a historical pissing match over who gets to claim Alexander the Great.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad