Slovakia: The Slovak Hockey Transactions and News Thread

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Andrej Sekera had until 1700 to file for arbitration and has indeed done so. This will be quite interesting in my opinion. I think very highly of Andrej. Some people don't. Winner of the Max Kaminsky trophy for top OHL defenseman, Slovakia's finest skating defenseman since Visnovsky. Andrej's camp will point out his 15 points in 16 games this March in which he was also +12. His opponents will point out less successful months.

If Andrej gets a nice award, it is possible that Buffalo will walk away or try to deal him.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Andrej Sekera avoids arbitration and signs with Buffalo. Quite a nice contract too, 4 years and 11 million. That works out to 2.75 million per year. That is top four D money, which as I wrote in the previous post, he deserves. Buffalo is now nearly three million over the salary cap, but it looks like they plan to stick with Andrej.

As Rogie Vachon, Gump Worsley, and Tony Esposito did for the Habs in years past, Peter Budaj will wear number 30 for the Montreal Canadiens.

Last edited:

Dartmouth 02

Nov 18, 2003
New York, NY
Visit site
ahoj...

so this is very likely the wrong place for this inquiry, but here goes: I will be in Bratislava on 7 November. From what I can decipher on the HC Slovan website, they have a home game that day. None of the other teams (nor the league homepage) have any information about 2011-12 fixtures.

Can anyone verify if i am reading the schedule properly? And if there is indeed a game in BTS on Nov 7, will tickets be available online or at the arena? Any suggestions for how/when to purchase, or other tips in general?

vďaka moc

lukkas

Jul 16, 2010
Bratislava
ahoj...

so this is very likely the wrong place for this inquiry, but here goes: I will be in Bratislava on 7 November. From what I can decipher on the HC Slovan website, they have a home game that day. None of the other teams (nor the league homepage) have any information about 2011-12 fixtures.

Can anyone verify if i am reading the schedule properly? And if there is indeed a game in BTS on Nov 7, will tickets be available online or at the arena? Any suggestions for how/when to purchase, or other tips in general?

vďaka moc

Yeah, you're reading properly. There really is game on 7 November against HK Poprad. Tickets will be available at http://www.ticketportal.sk/ but I don't think you should worry about that. I'm sure there will be enough tickets to buy also at the arena before the game.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
bad move? good one? what your opinion?

I think it is a little bit better than Slovak Extraleague, but not so much. He signed for 1 year.

Tough to say. People criticize his decision but they seem to forget that he wasn´t in an easy position considering the year left on his contract and HC Košice didn´t make things any easier for him demanding a big sum (probably way too big) from the teams interested in him because of that.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Tough to say. People criticize his decision but they seem to forget that he wasn´t in an easy position considering the year left on his contract and HC Košice didn´t make things any easier for him demanding a big sum (probably way too big) from the teams interested in him because of that.

now im curious how big this sum was...

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Not sure where to ask this so I'll post here.

What do you guys think the Slovakian WJC team will look like this year and how do you think they'll do? There will likely be six players who are drafted to NHL teams, which is IIRC the most that the Slovak's have had in years. Also, how does the goaltending situation look this season?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Not sure where to ask this so I'll post here.

What do you guys think the Slovakian WJC team will look like this year and how do you think they'll do? There will likely be six players who are drafted to NHL teams, which is IIRC the most that the Slovak's have had in years. Also, how does the goaltending situation look this season?

I think Slovak youth hockey thread would be much more suitable for your question.....;)

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Tomas Zaborsky looking really good in practise matches over here in Finland. Just scored two goals against Elitserien-team Växjö and had a goal and an assist against SM-liiga-team Blues right after being sick with the fever for many days. Now has a total of five goals and one assist in three games and with a top notch center that the team is still looking for, he could really light it up next season (talking about +30 goals here). Many are scared already that a KHL-team is going to come and take him away from us during the season. :laugh:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Since the NHL trainign camps have started:

ANAHEIM
Ľubomír Visňovský LOCK

Boston
Zdeno Chára LOCK

BUFFALO
Andrej Sekera LOCK

DETROIT
Tomáš Tatar- a miracle could give him a spot in the NHL, but he´s probably AHL bound and one of the call-ups
Tomáš Jurčo- QMJHL bound
Marek Tvrdoň- WHL bound

EDMONTON
Martin Marinčin- hmm, an interesting one, he could end up with OKC of the AHL or otehrwise WHL bound
Martin Gernát- WHL bound

FLORIDA
Tomáš Kopecký LOCK

CHICAGO
Marián Hossa LOCK

LA KINGS
Michal Čajkovský try-out OHL bound

MONTREAL
Peter Budaj LOCK

NEW YORK ISLANDERS
Milan Jurčina LOCK
Tomáš Marcinko AHL bound

NEW YORK RANGERS
Peter ČereÅ¡ňák OHL bound
Marián Gábork LOCK

PHILADELPHIA
Andrej Meszároš LOCK

PITTSBURGH
Boris Valábik AHL bound?

SAN JOSE
Michal Handzuš LOCK
Marek Viedenský AHL bound

ST. LOUIS
Jaroslav Halák LOCK

TAMPA BAY LIGTHINING
Jaroslav Janus ECHL bound?
Adam Jánošík QMJHL bound
Richard Pánik AHL bound

TORONTO
Juraj Mikuš AHL bound

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Since the NHL trainign camps have started:

ANAHEIM
Ľubomír Visňovský LOCK

Boston
Zdeno Chára LOCK

BUFFALO
Andrej Sekera LOCK

DETROIT
Tomáš Tatar- a miracle could give him a spot in the NHL, but he´s probably AHL bound and one of the call-ups
Tomáš Jurčo- QMJHL bound
Marek Tvrdoň- WHL bound

EDMONTON
Martin Marinčin- hmm, an interesting one, he could end up with OKC of the AHL or otehrwise WHL bound
Martin Gernát- WHL bound

FLORIDA
Tomáš Kopecký LOCK

CHICAGO
Marián Hossa LOCK

LA KINGS
Michal Čajkovský try-out OHL bound

MONTREAL
Peter Budaj LOCK

NEW YORK ISLANDERS
Milan Jurčina LOCK
Tomáš Marcinko AHL bound

NEW YORK RANGERS
Peter ČereÅ¡ňák OHL bound
Marián Gábork LOCK

PHILADELPHIA
Andrej Meszároš LOCK

PITTSBURGH
Boris Valábik AHL bound?

SAN JOSE
Michal Handzuš LOCK
Marek Viedenský AHL bound

ST. LOUIS
Jaroslav Halák LOCK

TAMPA BAY LIGTHINING
Jaroslav Janus ECHL bound?
Adam Jánošík QMJHL bound
Richard Pánik AHL bound

TORONTO
Juraj Mikuš AHL bound

-Valabik is out of camp with a knee injury. Not sure how severe.
-I don't agree that it would take a miracle for Tatar to make the Wings. If he plays better than Mursak and Nyquist, he could make it. Unlikely but hardly a miracle.
-Panik was awarded a penalty shot in the first Bolts scrimmage, and beat Janus stick side.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

Pens are saying he's rehabing. It's coming along.

The Penguins have a ton of Dmen in their system, I doubt he gets a call up.

Vladimír Mihálik went to Lev Popard? Damn, wish he would of stuck in North America.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
-I don't agree that it would take a miracle for Tatar to make the Wings. If he plays better than Mursak and Nyquist, he could make it. Unlikely but hardly a miracle.
-Panik was awarded a penalty shot in the first Bolts scrimmage, and beat Janus stick side.

I think that Tatar has more competition than just Muršak and Nyquist (like Emmerton for example). I think it could even happen that all of Tatar, Muršak and Nyuist will start the season in Grand Rapids. I also think that the Wings will rather have Tatar in Grand Rapids logging big minutes than playing 4th line in Detroit. Maybe miracle was too strong of a word, but it would be very surprising....

Three Slovaks have already been returned to their junior teams- Adam Jánošík (Tampa), Martin Gernát (Edmonton) and Marek Tvrdoň (Detroit).

Three Slovaks played in exhibition games last night, Jaroslav Janus stopped 17 out of 18 shots, while Martin Marinčin had an assist (though it sounds like he didn´t have such a good game deffensively) and Ľubo ViÅ¡ňovský was held pointless in Anaheim´s loss to Predators.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Juraj Mikus looked very decent last night for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He joined a 2 on 3 rush and made it 3 on 3, eventually finishing the play by scoring. He also added an assist. The tall defender has a history of scoring in pre-season.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Here is a fun fact on Mike Modano who retired from the NHL yesterday. His teammates ranged from Helmuts Balderis (b.1952) to Tomas Tatar (b.1990).

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Juraj Mikus looked very decent last night for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He joined a 2 on 3 rush and made it 3 on 3, eventually finishing the play by scoring. He also added an assist. The tall defender has a history of scoring in pre-season.

It´s the last year of his contract, right? I wonder whether he´ll get at least some games with the big boys during the regular season just to see whether he has any potnetial or whether he will just be another guy who returns to Europe after the season is over.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
It´s the last year of his contract, right? I wonder whether he´ll get at least some games with the big boys during the regular season just to see whether he has any potnetial or whether he will just be another guy who returns to Europe after the season is over.

I hope he doesn't go back yet because he is really close. They say he doesn't get noticed much because he doesn't often make mistakes. Plus he has offensive upside. The problem in Toronto is that with Phanuef, Schenn, Komisarek, Gunnarsson, Liles, Franson, Aulie, Gardiner, Blacker, Gysbers, Holzer, Percy, Granberg, and Nilsson, it makes it really hard to get called up.

After having watched him play a bunch of times live, he would be on my national team way ahead of guys like Majesky, Sersen, Fruhauf - I was disappointed he wasn't on either of Hanlon's WC teams.

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Juraj Mikus was cut today. No big surprise. He'll start with the Marlies. Ceresnak has his first OHL goal this afternoon, plus an assist. Nice start to his major junior career.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Juraj Mikus was cut today. No big surprise. He'll start with the Marlies. Ceresnak has his first OHL goal this afternoon, plus an assist. Nice start to his major junior career.

Jaroslav Janus and Richard Pánik have been sent down to Norfolk, AHL as well. That I think only leaves Tomáš Tatar, Martin Marinčin and Tomáš Marcinko at NHL camps from the AHL/junior kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad