OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I'm very happy with my son. He's doing a skilled trade at BOCES (welding). And while it's still early, he absolutely loves it and has already done a couple of projects that his teacher selected him for that only one student got selected for.

On top of that, his high school was closed yesterday, and released early today due to a bomb threat. Meaning he did not have to go to BOCES either day because his BOCES is in the afternoon, even though it was in session both days. However both days, he has gone, because he can if BOCES is open even if his district isn't. Yesterday finding a ride, and today had me drive him because I was off today. Not many 16 year olds would volunteer to go to a portion of school when they didn't have to.

He's a good kid, does ok in school but he's not sure college is for him. So I'm very happy he's found something that he really enjoys so far, that he can go into, make good money and honestly there is a large need for skilled trade in this country. And I'm certainly not going to force college on him with the current cost, and a lot of degrees going "unused".

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I know of a niche market in the construction industry where I could quite easily 750k in revenue a year with just a skid steer and a bobcat. I really wish I was a risk taker...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm very happy with my son. He's doing a skilled trade at BOCES (welding). And while it's still early, he absolutely loves it and has already done a couple of projects that his teacher selected him for that only one student got selected for.

On top of that, his high school was closed yesterday, and released early today due to a bomb threat. Meaning he did not have to go to BOCES either day because his BOCES is in the afternoon, even though it was in session both days. However both days, he has gone, because he can if BOCES is open even if his district isn't. Yesterday finding a ride, and today had me drive him because I was off today. Not many 16 year olds would volunteer to go to a portion of school when they didn't have to.

He's a good kid, does ok in school but he's not sure college is for him. So I'm very happy he's found something that he really enjoys so far, that he can go into, make good money and honestly there is a large need for skilled trade in this country. And I'm certainly not going to force college on him with the current cost, and a lot of degrees going "unused".
my cousin’s youngest son is a welder (PA Alleghenies not WNY) working for a custom design/build fabricator. He’ll never lack for work, job wise or on the side.

I know of a niche market in the construction industry where I could quite easily 750k in revenue a year with just a skid steer and a bobcat. I really wish I was a risk taker...
What’s your cash hole to get started? Can’t be much more than 10% of that. What’s the apprehension? Security?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Things my son did tonight at practice:

- Catch a bunch at edges at practice. I used the new fire stone for my Klarna sharpener. Anyone have any experience with this?
- Push the goalie because he was dogging it.
- Win the shootout competition at the end, complete with the 360 around the puck in Youngblood style.
- Eat an entire bag a cheetos on the way home.

I'm calling it a good night.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
What’s your cash hole to get started? Can’t be much more than 10% of that. What’s the apprehension? Security?

Not sure if this answers your question, but I think the start up cost would be less then 120k. You really only need a 3/4 ton truck, trailer, skid steer and maybe mini ex. The per metre cost to do what I’m taking about is about $5.50 and the price would be about $14 per metre and I think you could do 50,000 meters a year. It’s a niche, there is one guy doing it in within a 200km radius of me. My career is an estimator, so I know first hand the cost and what that guy charges, it’s a cash crop. I went to school and got a good education, yet I’m starting to realize there’s a lot of ways to make a really good income out there where you can be your own boss...

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That's awesome!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
3 out of 4 games in Cleveland last weekend were good.

Now I am having all sorts of fun with my wife and ex-wife over JV hockey for my son.

Basically, my ex-wife isn't pulling her weight with regards to sharing costs for hockey and my wife is getting frustrated with it and with how I am reacting to it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
3 out of 4 games in Cleveland last weekend were good.

Now I am having all sorts of fun with my wife and ex-wife over JV hockey for my son.

Basically, my ex-wife isn't pulling her weight with regards to sharing costs for hockey and my wife is getting frustrated with it and with how I am reacting to it.

Good luck with that. Sounds unpleasant.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

The wait is almost over! :hyper:

giphy.gif

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Not sure if this answers your question, but I think the start up cost would be less then 120k. You really only need a 3/4 ton truck, trailer, skid steer and maybe mini ex. The per metre cost to do what I’m taking about is about $5.50 and the price would be about $14 per metre and I think you could do 50,000 meters a year. It’s a niche, there is one guy doing it in within a 200km radius of me. My career is an estimator, so I know first hand the cost and what that guy charges, it’s a cash crop. I went to school and got a good education, yet I’m starting to realize there’s a lot of ways to make a really good income out there where you can be your own boss...
As long as you know you're not taking business away from the other guy (i.e., there's enough work demand to share, so that the margin remains rich and you can pay back you starting costs etc. in a reasonable time), then I'd very strongly consider doing it. You can always go back to your other job, somehow, some way, even if it was with a different employer.

In particular, if you know what your company-provided benefits costs are as a percentage range of your current salary (I know mine), you know what your true gross income would need to be to keep your level of benefits (assuming you have them).

Footnote: maybe 20 years ago, the company I work for sent "total value of benefits" statements to each salaried employee where they assigned a dollar value to the total # of holidays we received. Which is BS because we aren't paid extra for them (they are included in our annual salary), can't "sell them back" to the company, and in general most of us have to either work 1 or more of them each year or be on-call for 1 or more of them, and receive no additional compensation for them. I'm not complaining about holidays, I'm just saying the benefits value summary was disingenuous on the subject.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
Sounds kinky :sarcasm:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Sounds kinky :sarcasm:

Lol nope....

As long as you know you're not taking business away from the other guy (i.e., there's enough work demand to share, so that the margin remains rich and you can pay back you starting costs etc. in a reasonable time), then I'd very strongly consider doing it. You can always go back to your other job, somehow, some way, even if it was with a different employer.

I don’t think it would be taking away much work from him, but he’s set up shop an hour and half away as well. I’am pretty early in the process still, and wouldn’t jump into anything without doing my homework.

I also have a family member who’ve I’ve run the idea by, so it wouldn’t be just me if it did happen...I would still keep my job I think.

It’s in my field, and the reasons that got me interested is because I see one guy in a 300 mile radius doing this and every single construction site needs it. I’m not sure I’ll actually do it because I’m not a risk taker, but I really have confidence it’s a good business idea.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Lol nope....

I don’t think it would be taking away much work from him, but he’s set up shop an hour and half away as well. I’am pretty early in the process still, and wouldn’t jump into anything without doing my homework.

I also have a family member who’ve I’ve run the idea by, so it wouldn’t be just me if it did happen...I would still keep my job I think.

It’s in my field, and the reasons that got me interested is because I see one guy in a 300 mile radius doing this and every single construction site needs it. I’m not sure I’ll actually do it because I’m not a risk taker, but I really have confidence it’s a good business idea.

Because I’m not in the same field of work as you ... I read your posts about this but am still confused by what exactly this guy is doing with a bobcat? :huh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Feeling really weird right now.

My step-mother, whom I did not have a good relationship with and had stayed away from since an incident at Christmas last year, passed away last night.

I'm worried about my dad and step-brother.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Feeling really weird right now.

My step-mother, whom I did not have a good relationship with and had stayed away from since an incident at Christmas last year, passed away last night.

I'm worried about my dad and step-brother.

Condolences to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->