OT: The significance of your profile picture

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hmmm, I see it when I click on your avy but not on the side. Welp.

True enough, his dog does do a quick double blink.

Wait for it ...

102572.jpg

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
@beowulf
@Ozymandias

Hmm. Why arent you considering shelters instead?

Because it's my choice. I want a purebred Alaskan Malamute from a reputable breeder and that's what I am going to get.

This idea that all breeders are the cause of dogs in shelters is just BS. The cause is puppy mills, backyard breeders and unscrupulous breeders that are in it to try and make a buck. A reputable breeder that shows their dogs and does proper health testing and limits to one or two litters a year make little or no money from it and do it because of their love of the breed.

I've had two mixed breed dogs, one given to my by a friend when it was 8 weeks old, after a co-worker of his father's did bother to spay and neuter his two dogs and ended up with a bunch of Alaskan Malamute (mother) and German Shepherd/Lab mix (father). My second dog was a doberman mix who was about 8 months old when he was brought into a pet food and grooming store I worked at during my CEGEP days by a customer that found it wondering her neighborhood. I took the dog in and tried to find the owner to no avail and ended up keeping it.

Since then I have had the two above pure breed Alaskan Malamutes from the same breeder, the dogs are related as in Koda is Juno's great-uncle, and I want to get another malamute from puppyhood.

If people focused their efforts on pushing government to not allow pet shops to sell dogs and cats, pushed them to stop backyard breeding and puppy mills, then dog and cat rescues would no longer be required, or their would be a lot less of them. A reputable breeder will take one of their dogs back no matter what. You are suddenly moving or just simply don't want the dog anymore, they will take it back and most have that written into the contract you sign when you get the dog.

Also a rescue dog is not for everyone. Rescues can come with unexpected bad habits that some people are no able or ready to contend with. I'm not saying I might not go the rescue route down the road but for right now that is not for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Because it's my choice. I want a purebred Alaskan Malamute from a reputable breeder and that's what I am going to get.

This idea that all breeders are the cause of dogs in shelters is just BS. The cause is puppy mills, backyard breeders and unscrupulous breeders that are in it to try and make a buck. A reputable breeder that shows their dogs and does proper health testing and limits to one or two litters a year make little or no money from it and do it because of their love of the breed.

I've had two mixed breed dogs, one given to my by a friend when it was 8 weeks old, after a co-worker of his father's did bother to spay and neuter his two dogs and ended up with a bunch of Alaskan Malamute (mother) and German Shepherd/Lab mix (father). My second dog was a doberman mix who was about 8 months old when he was brought into a pet food and grooming store I worked at during my CEGEP days by a customer that found it wondering her neighborhood. I took the dog in and tried to find the owner to no avail and ended up keeping it.

Since then I have had the two above pure breed Alaskan Malamutes from the same breeder, the dogs are related as in Koda is Juno's great-uncle, and I want to get another malamute from puppyhood.

If people focused their efforts on pushing government to not allow pet shops to sell dogs and cats, pushed them to stop backyard breeding and puppy mills, then dog and cat rescues would no longer be required, or their would be a lot less of them. A reputable breeder will take one of their dogs back no matter what. You are suddenly moving or just simply don't want the dog anymore, they will take it back and most have that written into the contract you sign when you get the dog.

Also a rescue dog is not for everyone. Rescues can come with unexpected bad habits that some people are no able or ready to contend with. I'm not saying I might not go the rescue route down the road but for right now that is not for me.
Yes that's your choice, and I dont expect to change your mind. Doesnt mean you are right to do so.

Dogs are dogs, they're not cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Tyler Steenbergen after scoring the Golden Goal at the World Juniors. Amused me so much I just had to change it. Prior to that it was Patrick Bajkov from the WHL's Everett Silvertips (favourite player on my favourite team). And prior to that it was Alexei Emelin in the "Canadiens read Mean Tweets" video. I still have it as my YouTube profile picture.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Yes that's your choice, and I dont expect to change your mind. Doesnt mean you are right to do so.

Dogs are dogs, they're not cats.

Not even sure what you mean by this.

I am RIGHT in my decision. Just like someone who decides to get rescue.

Sad when you can't even provide a coherent reason why a person should not get a purebred dog from a breeder over a rescue.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not even sure what you mean by this.

I am RIGHT in my decision. Just like someone who decides to get rescue.

Sad when you can't even provide a coherent reason why a person should not get a purebred dog from a breeder over a rescue.
Because it's a dog that doesnt need to be born? And I meant cars, not cats lol.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Dedicated to the Golden Age and Original Six coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhysicX

Eazy

BureSanders
Jun 19, 2010
MFW I reminisce of the team in 2012 and what he has done to it in 6 years

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's Peter Steele, of Type-O-Negative fame.
Probably the band I regret the most never seeing live, and that mostly because I thought that would make for a really awkward/stupid show (because they play ridiculously slow).

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

Dogs are dogs, they're not cars.

Because it's a dog that doesnt need to be born? And I meant cars, not cats lol.

What an arrogant thing to say. Really? Get off your high pedestal because you "rescue" dogs from the pound.

Saying it's "a dog that doesn't need to be born" when you buy from a breeder shows how little thought you have put into your ethics. I'll let you in on a secret, life isn't all misery.

If you want to help out an animal in a pound or a bad situation that you can that's great, but to act like some stuck up yuppie with their rescue on an online forum shows your more interested in the social kudos for owning a rescue than anything else.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What an arrogant thing to say. Really? Get off your high pedestal because you "rescue" dogs from the pound.

Saying it's "a dog that doesn't need to be born" when you buy from a breeder shows how little thought you have put into your ethics. I'll let you in on a secret, life isn't all misery.

If you want to help out an animal in a pound or a bad situation that you can that's great, but to act like some stuck up yuppie with their rescue on an online forum shows your more interested in the social kudos for owning a rescue than anything else.
So, basically youre just mad that I am right? Its in your right to buy a dog from a breeder, if thats what you want, but its a ridiculous thing. A dog is a dog, and all that breeder specific trait research is not something that you, as a dog enthusiast/lover should strive for. Its a ridiculous thought to go for the dog that you like because of its looks or "temperament" if theres similar already born ones waiting in shelters just to get grabbed.

The problem isnt that they dont live happy life in the shelters, btw, most do. Its the fact that theres plenty of dogs that havent reached the shelter that dont live a decent life, or that some are in need of medical support.

People dont like it when you burst their NA confort bubble, I know.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
So, basically youre just mad that I am right? Its in your right to buy a dog from a breeder, if thats what you want, but its a ridiculous thing. A dog is a dog, and all that breeder specific trait research is not something that you, as a dog enthusiast/lover should strive for. Its a ridiculous thought to go for the dog that you like because of its looks or "temperament" if theres similar already born ones waiting in shelters just to get grabbed.

The problem isnt that they dont live happy life in the shelters, btw, most do. Its the fact that theres plenty of dogs that havent reached the shelter that dont live a decent life, or that some are in need of medical support.

I hope you mean North American hahah. I’ve spent 4 of the past 6 years living in central and South America. I’ve seen plenty of strays.

And you are incorrect that someone can always get the dog they want from a shelter. As an evolutionary biologist I can tell you that there is a MASSIVE variation of traits within one breed that you just can’t always tell when adopting a dog.

My post was in response to you trying to shame others who are excited about a new puppy. Not trying to dissuade anyone from adopting a pup.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

I'd wager that mutts in shelters have better quality care than you find in most purebred puppy mills. There is no good reason to limit oneself to a purebred. It's all about the vanity of the owner when all is said and done.

And never mind dogs that don't need to be born; we've got entire breeds that shouldn't exist because it's impossible for them to give birth naturally (I'm looking at you, English bulldog owners) or even to inseminate naturally (I'm talking to you, French bulldog owners)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I hope you mean North American hahah. I’ve spent 4 of the past 6 years living in central and South America. I’ve seen plenty of strays.

And you are incorrect that someone can always get the dog they want from a shelter. As an evolutionary biologist I can tell you that there is a MASSIVE variation of traits within one breed that you just can’t always tell when adopting a dog.

My post was in response to you trying to shame others who are excited about a new puppy. Not trying to dissuade anyone from adopting a pup.
Im not shaming anyone, I asked them why, Ozy answered and I was fine with his answer, Beo can do what ever he wants but he was pretty defensive about it and im not sure his reasoning was fair at all, and Im pretty sure he knows it.

Also, I cant see why being a biologist should change anything. You want to tell me some dogs have different trairs? Sure, never said otherwise. You want to tell me some breeda are better pets than others? Ill call rubbish to that and thats exactly the point of NOT going for the breed you want. Mostly driven by what you like visually.

I love dogs, well, I love fluffy animals mainly, every dog on this planet deserves some kind of confort, and you wont convince me Im wrong, because I know for a fact Im not.

Its similar to having a child vs adopting. Its immorality at its finest, but the comfort bubble is strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->