OT: The significance of your profile picture

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am not defensive, I am fed up of hipsters like you that try and make ethical breeders a bad thing. How was my reasoning not "fair"? What does that even mean?
How the hell are you comparing getting a dog to having a human child or adopting a human child?

You might think you are right, not sure what you think you are right about, but you aren't. If the world only had ethical breeders, there would be no dog shelters.

So, basically you are defensive.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What is that logic? You stated you want to adopt a dog already FFS :laugh:

I have a lot of people in my life that I give help to, I don't have the time to deal with the hassles of raising a stray dog.

And yes, I know, not all stray dogs are problems, but I want a young one, and chances are a young stray will have developmental problems (because of bad nurturing).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have a lot of people in my life that I give help to, I don't have the time to deal with the hassles of raising a stray dog.

And yes, I know, not all stray dogs are problems, but I want a young one, and chances are a young stray will have developmental problems (because of bad nurturing).
If you dont have time for a rescue you probably dont have time for a pure-bred one either. Especially not a high maintenance working dog.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If you dont have time for a rescue you probably dont have time for a pure-bred one either. Especially not a high maintenance working dog.

That's your perception and self created dichotomy.

I have raised dogs, both stray and pure breds. High maintenance is not a problem because you can schedule that, whereas the unpredictable nature of the problems stray dogs bring is what I don't want, along with the required nurturing which is also greater, which is the period I don't want to extend time on either.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'll give you a bit more of where I'm coming from;

This is Nala. She's half Border Collie half Pit. She's a stray. I babysit her often, as I'm doing right now. She belongs to one of my exes, with whom I stayed close friends. She's the GF I had my previous dog with, my dog who died 3 years ago.

Nala is a stray taken when she was about 6 months old. She's a smart energetic dog, as you can picture by her lineage. Very affectionate. but Nala came with a lot of developmental problems. She has huge abandonment issues and that creates havoc in my friend's life. The kind of havoc I wanna stay clear from. The kind of havoc dogs can only do when they're alone, and I'm also against leaving a dog in a cage for a whole day, something none of my dogs had to live.

This is but one example. I do this for many friends. I've seen firsthand the obvious challenges most stray dogs will bring compared to purebreds. I don't have time for that, and have to put all the chances on my side, and this means, genetics (which breed I chose) AND nurturing (making sure Im the one doing it at the proper period).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I might have been lucky, but Ive encountered very little challenges with the dogs ive rescued, not any less or more than my sister has had with her own dogs, mostly pure bred, except, Jack, her purebred Great Dane, who had some serious aggressivity problems, most likely coming from the fact it was her first dog.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I might have been lucky, but Ive encountered very little challenges with the dogs ive rescued, not any less or more than my sister has had with her own dogs, mostly pure bred, except, Jack, her purebred Great Dane, who had some serious aggressivity problems, most likely coming from the fact it was her first dog.

Forgot to quote you sorry

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I dont disagree with your concern at all BTW, these are all very real, I just dont see that as deal breaking.

Well for me it is.

Don't know if my own experiences are slanted or yours are. Or both are out of the norms, but as I've previously mentioned, I live next to one of the biggest dog parks on the south shore. The daily attendance can go over 100 in clear summer days. I've met A LOT of dog owners. Spoke to many of them over the years and shared experiences and methods. From this and my own experiences, I see too many red flags vs my own preoccupations. Same thing for Pits.

You have to keep in mind, Im trying to put all the chances on my side, so it all comes down to probabilities for me.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That's your perception and self created dichotomy.

I have raised dogs, both stray and pure breds. High maintenance is not a problem because you can schedule that, whereas the unpredictable nature of the problems stray dogs bring is what I don't want, along with the required nurturing which is also greater, which is the period I don't want to extend time on either.

He will never understand it seems he is being obtuse on purpose.

As an example, I was going to adopt this boy, Jackson, about 5 years ago but alas he had terrible separation anxiety and after him being at my place for a trial period I sadly had to let him go back to the rescue because I ended up getting a letter in my mailbox from a neighbor complaining about how much he barked and whined while I was at work.

IMG_4000_zps9bffbdd2.jpg

IMG_3998_zps0065c255.jpg

I live in a townhouse so a dog that barks or cries when I am not around is not an option. He was older as you can see, about 6 to 9 months, and it would take longer to get him over the anxiety than with a puppy. I was sad as hell not being able to give him a home but alas it is life.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He will never understand it seems he is being obtuse on purpose.

As an example, I was going to adopt this boy, Jackson, about 5 years ago but alas he had terrible separation anxiety and after him being at my place for a trial period I sadly had to let him go back to the rescue because I ended up getting a letter in my mailbox from a neighbor complaining about how much he barked and whined while I was at work.

IMG_4000_zps9bffbdd2.jpg

IMG_3998_zps0065c255.jpg

I live in a townhouse so a dog that barks or cries when I am not around is not an option. He was older as you can see, about 6 to 9 months, and it would take longer to get him over the anxiety than with a puppy. I was sad as hell not being able to give him a home but alas it is life.

Thats fine, it can take a while to get the kinks out and its your choice to not follow through with it, I never disputed that. Its being obtuse to say that the only way to avoid this is by going pure-bred though

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Thats fine, it can take a while to get the kinks out and its your choice to not follow through with it, I never disputed that. Its being obtuse to say that the only way to avoid this is by going pure-bred though

Avoiding taking a stray is the other way.

I know many dog owners who have success stories adopting at shelters, there's just too many bad stories vs the proportion of owners. Most owners of purebreds (from breeders) I know have managed well, even with breeds known to be problematic, like Beagles and other rowdy dogs.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I used to have the "expect the unexpected" Gainey playoff gif for years now, with a picture of Subban labeled "An all-star defenseman" if my memory serves me right.

My current avatar is the Jersey that I wore this year for the Edinburgh Eagles. The Eagles are the hockey team for all the Edinburgh Universities as you need to rattle large here to find players! The team let us choose which flags we could bear so I selected Le Fleur de Lys and the Scottish flag. My Canadian teammates were a bit surprised by my choice as you can imagine, but they accepted it. My Scottish teammates loved the flags :)

I never thought I would get to play college hockey ever, as my previous University (Sherbrooke) didn't have a hockey team and more importantly because CIS hockey is a rather strong level. Most of the players in Canadian Universities are former CHL players.

I got to play against prestigious universities like St. Andrews and Oxford which is definitely something I'll love to tell my children one day, especially for the latter. Unfortunately, we didn't get to play Cambridge as they were not in our division and they were in the other round-robin group for the BUIHA finals, but hey, Oxford's better than nothing, right? We beat Oxford when we played them and were actually the only team at the finals to do so, as they went on to win the league.

My best moment though remains our win against St. Andrews at the Wookey game (in remembrance of former St. Andrews Typhoon Jonny Wookey who died while he was still playing for them). Thousands of drunk St. Andrews students invade the Typhoons' home rink in Dundee. It's probably as close as it'll ever get to the pros for me: hostile crowd, broadcast of the game, interviews, etc. There's a big rivalry between the two teams as we're the only two teams from Scotland. Furthermore, St. Andrews had never lost the Wookey game against the Eagles and had beaten us both times we met them during the season. We humiliated the arrogant pricks by winning the game 8-4. Just the thought of it brings me a big smile.

#19 is for one of my favourite player ever, Joe Sakic.

Last edited:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I'll give you a bit more of where I'm coming from;

This is Nala....

I don't have time for that, ...

Proceeds to babysit ex-girlfriends dog...
No need to rationalize everything about time. You clearly have time based on the length of your posts. Our decisions have to do with what we want.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Proceeds to babysit ex-girlfriends dog...
No need to rationalize everything about time. You clearly have time based on the length of your posts. Our decisions have to do with what we want.

I have time right now because I'm in between jobs over the last two weeks. I won't be in this situation for very long. Ask anyone who is a regular on the board, I usually haven't been posting as much as the last two weeks. You usually wouldn't have seen posts from me between 2pm and 1am on workdays over the last two years. Maybe a post here and there on my breaks.

I don't rationalize. Why do you feel the need to make it something else than what it is?

Those are my concerns. If you need to make them something else than what it is without knowing my life, please feel free to ignore me and GTFO.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
It was Kotkaniemi but I changed it to Yao Mings emoji, why? It's cause I see it as "dumb" emoji so it would mean; there's dumb people on this forum so it explains them very well of the emoji!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I bought a cat from a store for my mom because I thought she looked cute. That's pretty much all I knew about her.

I don't know if that makes me evil now based on this thread lol
That’s child’s play lol! 17 years ago we noticed a small orange cat that was hiding around our home for over a week. Night and day. The final straw was when I was taking out the trash out, late November, and it charged me from under deck. Scared the hell out of me and I slipped on the ice. As l layed there wondering what had happened? The little bastard came out and started meowing. WTF! We adopted him, Gus, and he grew, shit you not, into a 16 pound tomcat. He loved my wife and hated me for some reason lol! He was not fat either. Used to sleep on top of my wife and hiss at me. All true. I’ll up load some pictures. Miss him actually. He was a terror in the neighborhood as well.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Seriously, I had my next door neighbor asked me, after 4 years of a 16 pound Gus roaming an otherwise nondescript suburban neighborhood, if I have noticed there are not as many birds or squirrels in the area. He knew and was being polite. His family had a cat too. Gus had been jacking that bitch up since we brought him home from the vet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad